You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-24 02:11:41

raginaot

Importing Utorrent resume file into a linux client

Still slowly migrating over to linux and there some things I'm having trouble moving over.

I have hundreds of torrents loaded into utorrent on my windows setup that I'd like to keep seeding.

utorrent uses a resume.dat file that contains all the info needed but I don't know if this is readable by other clients.
Even if I can import it into another client, there is still an issue with the paths the files being seeded are located at. I'm pretty sure it goes by the windows drive letters, so that might cause a problem.
It would probably easy to replace the drive letters with the appropriate /media/ path but idk if I can even open the file in a  normal text editor. When I open it in mousepad it's showing 2700 characters but the file is 830KB so that can't be right :S

What do you guys think would be the best way to do this?

#2 2010-11-24 05:54:07

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Importing Utorrent resume file into a linux client

Maybe, you can run utorrent under wine. But, as you said yourself, it will have paths set according to windows, and this won't work under linux.

Other alternative is to download the .torrent files manually (which will be very difficult, if you have a lot of them), and then set their download locations to the already existing ones. This way, since you have all the pieces downloaded, at most the torrent client will do a recheck, and you can continue with seeding.

#3 2010-11-24 09:30:09

Awebb

You could also use the cli version of utorrent, available natively for linux: http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linux.

#4 2010-11-25 00:12:23

raginaot

If I could edit the resume.dat somehow then I could probably just use find/replace to quickly replace the drive letters with the proper /media paths and backwards slashes with forward slashes.
But it uses some weird character encoding and I don't know how to read it.

Adding the files manually really isn't an option, there's over 600 torrents and I don't hate myself enough tongue

Awebb wrote:

You could also use the cli version of utorrent, available natively for linux: http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linux.

cool... but there's still the issue of the pathnames.

Maybe I could emulate the windows drive letters somehow. Like make a symlink of some sort in root, call it T:\ and link it to my former T: drives mount folder. :S

#5 2010-11-25 00:23:15

tomk
Forum Fellow

What does 'file resume.dat' say about this thing?

#6 2010-11-25 01:13:35

stqn
Website

MousePad isn't the best text editor for files with non-ascii/unicode characters. Vim (for example) will show the whole file...

This page might be helpful :
http://filesharefreak.com/2008/11/02/ut … p-seeding/

(I actually wrote some months ago a program to automatically parse a bencoded file and change paths inside it, but it wasn't for µTorrent and I didn't manage to get it perfectly right...)

#7 2010-11-25 02:45:22

raginaot

tomk wrote:

What does 'file resume.dat' say about this thing?

it just say "resume.dat: data" big_smile

stqn wrote:

MousePad isn't the best text editor for files with non-ascii/unicode characters. Vim (for example) will show the whole file...

This page might be helpful :
http://filesharefreak.com/2008/11/02/ut … p-seeding/

(I actually wrote some months ago a program to automatically parse a bencoded file and change paths inside it, but it wasn't for µTorrent and I didn't manage to get it perfectly right...)

awesome! thanks
I'll play around with this thing tomorrow

#8 2010-11-26 23:33:58

raginaot

I found out you can in fact map drive letters to folders with wine. So I just mapped my old drive letters from windows to the mount folders and copied the appdata directory over to the wine folder.
Couldn't be simpler.

Though I would like to use a real linux client instead.
Are there any that can read the resume.dat from utorrent?

#9 2010-11-27 01:30:29

anonymous_user

I would follow x33a's suggestion of re-adding your torrents and just let the client recheck them.

#10 2010-12-04 04:51:17

raginaot

anonymous_user wrote:

I would follow x33a's suggestion of re-adding your torrents and just let the client recheck them.

I already have all the .torrent files saved
buuuuuut....
>600 torrents and 20 different download locations (sorted by content type and trackers)
also I never remember where I put anything so I would have to search for the files before every torrent I add

my bet is before I get through the first 100 I will have gone completely insane...

#11 2010-12-04 05:20:19

anonymous_user

Do you actually seed ALL those torrents? 600 is a damn lot and I can understand why adding them all would drive one insane.

#12 2010-12-04 17:52:54

raginaot

anonymous_user wrote:

Do you actually seed ALL those torrents? 600 is a damn lot and I can understand why adding them all would drive one insane.

Yeah I'm on a private music tracker where you just have to keep seeding everything you snatch forever to keep a decent ratio.
Also I just like to share big_smile

Board footer