You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-25 22:18:25

3])

What's happend to PyWm?

Being a python fan, I noticed this http://pywm.sourceforge.net/ , a window manager written entirely in python,

yet, it isn't being actively developed.

Have anyone of you tried PyWm?  If so, what was it like? Why did the developer stop adding code to PyWm?

If not, what features do you think are beneficial/cool or shouldn't have been included at all?

(Below)-site's description of PyWm.

# Infinite-sized desktop with keyboard panning (and zooming!!)
# Ability to create new desktops on the fly
# 'Lock' certain windows, so they won't be moved or resized during zooming or panning.
# Move/resize/close individual windows with key bindings
# Detect when windows are created/destroyed/moved/resized, and take action
# For instance, detect certain applications, and move/resize them when launched
# Set timers, to take actions once or repeatedly (one of the examples has a function called 'hallucinate' which randomly moves/resizes all the windows on the screen).
# Turn window borders and titlebars on and off
# Dock unrelated application windows together. Or, if one application is started, launch another one automatically
# Diaplay a different wallpaper when each given window is activated (would you really want this???)
# Have a different set of key bindings for each active window
# In addition to this, I'm currently working on an (FLTK-based) API to allow you to create 'in-window-manager' windows, so you can very easily build your own applets.
(Also, I'm hoping at some time to incorporate joystick-driven zoom/pan (anyone wanna volunteer?)

I like the idea of an infinite sized desktop.

Last edited by 3]) (2010-11-25 23:27:19)

“There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.”-- C.A.R. Hoare

#2 2010-11-26 00:17:50

Army

Re: What's happend to PyWm?

Reading this describtion, it would be really nice to give this a try! By the way, since you are a big python fan, there's qtile-git in the AUR, check it out smile

#3 2010-11-26 12:01:03

3])

Re: What's happend to PyWm?

Army wrote:

Reading this describtion, it would be really nice to give this a try! By the way, since you are a big python fan, there's qtile-git in the AUR, check it out smile

Never heard about this window manager.

Will try it straight away. Thanks for telling me about alternative python window managers.

Last edited by 3]) (2010-11-26 12:20:15)

“There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.”-- C.A.R. Hoare

Board footer