You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-26 05:26:19

DasFox

Gnome Startup Application Preferenences - Are These Needed?

Since it's been ages that I've used Gnome, not sure these preferences are needed for anything in Gnome or Arch.

I personally don't have a need so can someone please tell me if Gnome or Arch depends on them for something, or some reason?

Certificate and Key Storage
GPG Password Agent
Secret Storage Service

THANKS

Last edited by DasFox (2010-11-26 05:27:03)

12 Year Linux Vet, Don't Let The Post Count Fool Ya! But Sure I Don't Know Everything, Who Does? That's Why I Ask. smile

#2 2010-11-26 18:12:11

shulamy

Re: Gnome Startup Application Preferenences - Are These Needed?

first find the package it belongs to

and then try to remove it and you will see it's dependancies.

i'm sure there is an option in pacman -Q for this.

ezik

#3 2010-11-27 02:05:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

shulamy wrote:

first find the package it belongs to

and then try to remove it and you will see it's dependancies.

i'm sure there is an option in pacman -Q for this.

ezik

This is not good advise.

To the OP, you'd be better off googling for those specific options to find out what they do. We can't tell you what YOUR system needs, that's your choice to make. Some people here decide their systems don't need sound, some that their systems don't need hardware 3D acceleration. Arch is what YOU make it.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-11-27 04:10:09

anonymous_user

Secret Storage Service:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1423760

I think all those services are related to the gnome-keyring.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-11-27 04:13:42)

#5 2010-11-27 23:38:37

DasFox

I thought you guys would of understood that when I mentioned in the post, 'Gnome Startup Application Preferenences' that you understood what I was talking about.

These are STARTUP applications I am only asking if Arch or Gnome really needs them for anything or I can uncheck them and not have them run at startup?

Got it now? wink

12 Year Linux Vet, Don't Let The Post Count Fool Ya! But Sure I Don't Know Everything, Who Does? That's Why I Ask. smile

#6 2010-11-27 23:42:53

anonymous_user

They're obviously used for something otherwise why have them to begin with. If you want to know their specific function, the link I posted might have some info.

You could also try just disabling them and see if anything breaks.

#7 2010-11-28 02:41:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

DasFox wrote:

I thought you guys would of understood that when I mentioned in the post, 'Gnome Startup Application Preferenences' that you understood what I was talking about.

These are STARTUP applications I am only asking if Arch or Gnome really needs them for anything or I can uncheck them and not have them run at startup?

Got it now? wink

I think you would have understood that the forums are not meant to be a substitute for your own research and googling. Go and do that now, please.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2010-11-28 03:29:26

DasFox

ngoonee wrote:
DasFox wrote:

Got it now? wink

I think you would have understood that the forums are not meant to be a substitute for your own research and googling. Go and do that now, please.

You know what, you're the second MOD that has told me to be on my way and go research before posting. You guys really need to knock this off, this isn't a Ubuntu forum and I'm not a Noob to Linux, been using Linux 10 years.

And so what if we don't research something and we simply want to come here and ask a question is that a problem? Because I'm certainly getting the feeling around here it is and I don't appreciate that at all.

First off this is suppose to be a COMMUNITY and as such people should feel welcomed here to come and ask things they might not know, or understand.

You MODS need to knock off the attitude of telling people to go research before posting, because I'm starting to not like this place!

I know what this stuff is, I personally don't have a need for it, but I do not know if there is something in Gnome or built into Arch that wants it there and running at Startup. This is why I asked here...

P.S. You guys are constantly assuming people are not doing the research and if they did the research they should get it right? WRONG. You're making assumptions and as they say where I live when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me!

Last edited by DasFox (2010-11-28 03:40:04)

#9 2010-11-28 03:40:53

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

DasFox wrote:

You know what, you're the second MOD that has told me to be on my way and go research before posting.

A reasonable person might conclude, based on being told twice in as many days, that the problem is not with the moderators. You have already been asked to read the Forum Etiquette; to save you some effort, I will post a relevant section for you here:

Forum Etiquette wrote:

When asking for help, read the manual, do your research and provide details for those you are asking for help.

DasFox wrote:

You MODS need to knock off the attitude of telling people to go research before posting, because I'm starting to not like this place!

I would suggest that you might like to reflect on your own behaviour and think seriously about what your combatative attitude is bringing to the community.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#10 2010-11-28 03:52:45

DasFox

jasonwryan wrote:
DasFox wrote:

You know what, you're the second MOD that has told me to be on my way and go research before posting.

A reasonable person might conclude, based on being told twice in as many days, that the problem is not with the moderators. You have already been asked to read the Forum Etiquette; to save you some effort, I will post a relevant section for you here:

Forum Etiquette wrote:

When asking for help, read the manual, do your research and provide details for those you are asking for help.

DasFox wrote:

I would suggest that you might like to reflect on your own behaviour and think seriously about what your combatative attitude is bringing to the community.

I have read the manual/WIKI, Google and anything else you can think of and I have done my research, so now I come here and ask a question, what's the problem?

No, you're not getting it, I don't have an attitude, when you made an assumption based on my questions you formed an attitude towards me, ASSUMING I'm not doing things.

Because if you didn't assume, then you wouldn't of told me to go and research would you? Therefore you made an assumption, it's that simple, so please don't sit there and tell me you didn't.

That assumption where I live is an insult towards someone and you should understand that on a forum as this it's a WORLD WIDE community with people that come from all walks of life and beliefs and ideas and the way in which you choose your words is of importance towards others, so as to not offend.

Basically without realizing it, you were basically telling me I'm a newbie that should go research before posting and should know better.

Now NO I'm not saying you actually are telling me these words, but by your actions towards this is how it is perceived that I'm some idiot that needs to be told what to do.

The truth is I'm a guest in your house, I don't work here or get paid here, I come here as an outsider, so think about how you would treat a guest in your own house. Because in mine we would not use these words.

This is what you said;
and start doing the basic amount of research yourself before posting here...

I'm sorry but in different parts of the world those words come across different to different people.

In my world you might as well said, Go RTFM before coming here ok!!!

So choose your words better if you don't want people to be upset...

THANKS

Last edited by DasFox (2010-11-28 03:53:31)

#11 2010-11-28 03:54:39

Allan
Pacman
Website

DasFox wrote:

In my world you might as well said, Go RTFM before coming here ok!!!

I assure you that "go RTFM before coming here" is the intended message.

#12 2010-11-28 04:00:11

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Over the last two days you have been told at least four times by various staff of these boards to either do some research, or to demonstrate that you have done so. Repeatedly typing "I have read {the manual,Google,Wiki} does not constitute evidence of research. Including detailed descriptions of the things you have tried does.

Arch is a community. We do welcome anyone who is keen to learn - but Arch does not hold your hand and neither do the staff here.

Just so we are clear - this is the last time we will have this discussion. If you keep up with these rants, you will be banned.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#13 2010-11-29 00:28:16

DasFox

The GPG Password Agent is the only one I can see that is related to like GnuPGP and if you're not using something like this I don't think these needs to run at startup...

#14 2010-11-29 09:06:08

hokasch

There is a description included in Startup Applications:

GNOME Keyring: PKCS#11 Component

Secret Storage Service
GNOME Keyring: Secret Service

SSH Key Agent
GNOME Keyring: SSH Agent

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring

edit: redundant, did not read #4. These are just Gnome's upstream defaults, if unused it is of course save to disable (or remove gnome-keyring altogether).

Last edited by hokasch (2010-11-29 09:22:17)

#15 2010-11-30 05:20:17

DasFox

hokasch wrote:

There is a description included in Startup Applications:

GNOME Keyring: PKCS#11 Component

Secret Storage Service
GNOME Keyring: Secret Service

SSH Key Agent
GNOME Keyring: SSH Agent

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring

edit: redundant, did not read #4. These are just Gnome's upstream defaults, if unused it is of course save to disable (or remove gnome-keyring altogether).

I was talking about the 'GPG Password Agent' aka 'GNOME Keyring: GPG Agent' which I do not see mentioned above if this is what you are talking about. I just mentioned before your reply....

It seems this is striclty for GnuPG sort of stuff...

Board footer