You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-26 06:39:19

DasFox

MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC

Got this message in dmesg I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem.

..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ...
..... (found apic 0 pin 0) ...
....... failed.
...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ...
..... failed.
...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ...
..... works.

Here's my dmesg, http://pastebin.com/ErTjBpEe (Line 192)

THANKS

12 Year Linux Vet, Don't Let The Post Count Fool Ya! But Sure I Don't Know Everything, Who Does? That's Why I Ask. smile

#2 2010-11-26 13:44:05

mangust

Re: MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC

Hi! Post the model of your computer.

There are two solutions of such problem:
1. Fix your DSDT (read more in Wiki, here or just google; good information is in the Gentoo Wiki)
2. Update your BIOS

The first solution might not work. I've got the same problem on my laptop, ASUS A8M, and I managed to fix it only by updating my BIOS.

If you need more help, write here!

Regards, mangust

P.S.
It is a bug. You might have some problems with hardware (fan functions incorrect or something else). I cannot say, that I've got problems with my hardware, but 'bug' in dmesg is annoying.

Last edited by mangust (2010-11-26 13:47:50)

"I hate computers, why didn't I become a street musician?" - phrakture

#3 2010-11-27 23:44:10

DasFox

mangust wrote:

Hi! Post the model of your computer.

There are two solutions of such problem:
1. Fix your DSDT (read more in Wiki, here or just google; good information is in the Gentoo Wiki)
2. Update your BIOS

The first solution might not work. I've got the same problem on my laptop, ASUS A8M, and I managed to fix it only by updating my BIOS.

If you need more help, write here!

Regards, mangust

P.S.
It is a bug. You might have some problems with hardware (fan functions incorrect or something else). I cannot say, that I've got problems with my hardware, but 'bug' in dmesg is annoying.

It's a Compaq Presario SR1923WM (Running a AMD 3500+ and 1GB Ram)

Here's the motherboard specs, an Asus A8N-LA:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu … ct=3208974

12 Year Linux Vet, Don't Let The Post Count Fool Ya! But Sure I Don't Know Everything, Who Does? That's Why I Ask. smile

#4 2010-11-28 09:03:58

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

It's the kernel trying to work around a timer (clock) bug in your bios, but as you can see it succeeds with the third method. If updating your bios doesn't improve this, you may decide to file a support request with Compaq, but chances are slim they will proceed with it since this is an older model and the apparent fallback method (ExtINT) seems to work.

Here is also an older thread about it on the Ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=991415

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#5 2010-11-28 21:00:59

DasFox

litemotiv wrote:

It's the kernel trying to work around a timer (clock) bug in your bios, but as you can see it succeeds with the third method. If updating your bios doesn't improve this, you may decide to file a support request with Compaq, but chances are slim they will proceed with it since this is an older model and the apparent fallback method (ExtINT) seems to work.

Here is also an older thread about it on the Ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=991415

Been thinking maybe to go with 'noapic' on the kernel line, never really used much of APIC in the past, not sure with this older box there's much of a need...

Board footer