You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-27 12:33:10

Archie_Enthusiasm

Can't start virtualbox windows 7 32 bit image anymore please h[SOLVED]

Hello guys,

Just recently, I upgraded my system by executing "sudo pacman -Syu". It upgraded my kernel and kernel header files and mesa devu etc... including virtualbox-ose 3.2.10-3.

Someoutputs that could be useful:
(Please note I picked up only installed ones from the output)

pacman -Ss virtualbox
community/virtualbox-additions 3.2.10-1 [installed]
    Guest additions for VirtualBox
community/virtualbox-ose 3.2.10-3 [installed]
    Powerful x86 virtualization for enterprise as well as home use (Open Source Edition)

pacman -Ss kernel26
core/kernel26 2.6.36.1-3 (base) [installed]
    The Linux Kernel and modules
core/kernel26-headers 2.6.36.1-3 [installed]
    Header files and scripts for building modules for kernel26
core/linux-firmware 20101108-1 [installed]
    Firmware files for Linux
extra/nvidia 260.19.21-2 [installed]
    NVIDIA drivers for kernel26.

I also recompiled the new virtualbox modules by doing:

sudo /etc/rc.d/vboxdrv setup
Password:
:: Unloading VirtualBox kernel modules                                                                                                                                    [DONE]
:: Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module                                                                                                                           [DONE]
:: Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module                                                                                                                           [DONE]
:: Removing old VirtualBox kernel module                                                                                                                                  [DONE]
:: Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules                                                                                                                                  [DONE]
:: Reloading VirtualBox kernel modules                                                                                                                                    [DONE]

On my archlinux (64-bit) system, I installed windows 7 (32-bit) using virtualbox-ose. It was working fine before I did the upgrade. Now, whenever I try to start the windows 7 (32-bit), it starts the windows 7 until the windows logo comes (just before the login mask of windows 7 comes), my computer restarts itself without giving any error or something. My pc just restarts itself. I think this is only related to virtualbox. When I do not try to start virtualbox, arch linux itself is working fine so far. Only when I try to start the windows 7, my pc gets restarted. Have you guys had any problem of this kind? First, I will wait for your responses. The options that I could think of right at the moment are:

1. Downgrade the kernel back (I do not know how to and do not see it as a good choice)
2. Downgrade the virtualbox-ose only (I also do not know how to do that.)
3. Uninstall the virtualbox-ose and reinstall it again without removing my windows 7 OS (32-bit) (I hope I can continue using it)
4. Delete the existing windows 7 OS and try to install freshly new Windows 7 OS again

Guys, please help me. I really need to use windows 7 sometimes. I would be really grateful if some of you guys can help me.

And again thanks for reading my long post.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2010-12-08 19:25:30)

#2 2010-11-27 15:54:08

gray85

Re: Can't start virtualbox windows 7 32 bit image anymore please h[SOLVED]

The same problem...

Same kernel, but I have virtualbox_bin 3.2.10-2 and winXP. Everytime after xp boots up - host PC goes to reset.

I do not try to downgrade kernel, but i think, downgrade will solve the problem smile
You can try with pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26.......

#3 2010-11-27 16:21:03

Archie_Enthusiasm

Which pc do you have? Is it a HP laptop? Hopefully it is nothing to do with the hardware. Did you solve the problem? What are you planning to do? Whenever you find something useful, please inform me by this post. I really need to fix this up before Monday :-)

Guys, please consult me what and how to do.

Thanks

#4 2010-11-27 16:36:01

ewaller
Administrator

This is normal for the 2.6.36 Kernel
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21736

Until Virtualbox is updated, all you can do is stay with the 2.6.35 kernel.  This is the only problem with a distro that emphases "bleeding edge" over stability.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2010-11-28 02:00:11

judico

Hi everybody! Maybe something usefull here!

I have the same problem with arch 32bits, and XP SP3 as the guest. Just 40 minutes ago I started virtualbox just inserting vboxdrv module, NOT vboxnetflt module, and everything seems to be right, please help me to test this and maybe we can isolate (is it the right word? isolate? poor english...) the issue.

If i have a new hard reboot i will post it here.

#6 2010-11-28 02:20:25

judico

Hey sorry! i didn't see all the posts on https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21736. Apologize!! sad:(:(

#7 2010-11-28 10:43:59

Archie_Enthusiasm

Hi guys, thanks for your responses.

What is this vboxnetflt for? Which modules are the essential modules for virtualbox? What I mean is: do those nice features like mouse point integration, full screen supportment etc... rely on vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp?

What I have in my configuration file is:

MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"
#MOD_BLACKLIST=() #deprecated
MODULES=(vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp)

I think vboxnetadp is used for networkiing. and vboxnetflt sounds like network filtering stuff. Can someone please confirm me? I think the problem was the sequence of upgrading. Firstly it updated the kernel and then installed the new version of virtualbox. I think if it could install the new version of virtualbox first and then the kernel, it would go without any problem, just my opinion as I said.

Let's keep tracked on this. Maybe someone will find a solution before virtualbox developers :-)

#8 2010-11-28 15:39:13

Archie_Enthusiasm

I tried to start the virtualbox without vboxnetflt. When I try to start the windows 7 as guest OS, I get an error message saying "Host Interface Networking bla bla bla not found... please make sure that the virtualbox modules are loaded successfully etc..." => It suggests to do "/etc/rc.d/vboxdrv setup".

So no success. Hopefully virtualbox guys can fix it as soon as possible. Do you guys know how we can report a bug/error/issue officially to the virtualbox oracle developers? If none of us did it till now, I would like to send the bug report to them.

#9 2010-11-28 20:48:37

gray85

Archie_Enthusiasm wrote:

I tried to start the virtualbox without vboxnetflt. When I try to start the windows 7 as guest OS, I get an error message saying "Host Interface Networking bla bla bla not found... please make sure that the virtualbox modules are loaded successfully etc..." => It suggests to do "/etc/rc.d/vboxdrv setup".

Do you need network in your win7? If no then turn off a network adapter in VB win7 settings and try to boot win7.

I downgrade to a previous kernel and VB works fine. So you can downgrade.

Last edited by gray85 (2010-11-28 20:50:07)

#10 2010-11-29 15:57:22

starfry

Hi I have this problem too since upgrading over the weekend. What's the current solution as of today? I've read two possibles:
1. install a test build of Virtualbox (not sure where to get this from?)
2. downgrade the kernel.

I think I may go for option 2 unless there are any better suggestions...

#11 2010-11-29 16:15:44

TheSaint

at the least it could be written on the kernel post-install.
Or even better to check incompatibilities if exists vboxdrv

--
Virtualbox_bin 3.2.10 and Arch64

F

Last edited by TheSaint (2010-11-29 16:16:47)

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

Board footer