You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-27 20:34:26

snack

Occasional reboot instead of shutdown with kernel 2.6.36

After upgrading kernel to 2.6.36 I noticed that sometimes my laptop (Vaio VGNSR21M) doesn't shut down when I type sudo halt. The shut down procedure goes on regularly and the "POWER OFF" message appears regularly at the end, but then the laptop is rebooted instead of being powered off.
If I simply boot, log to console and type sudo halt immediately then there's no problem, but if I start KDE, do my job, shut down KDE and then sudo halt, the pc is rebooted.
I still have to investigate this behavior more deeply, but I'd like to know if someone has the same problem to share some info.
Thanks

#2 2010-11-28 16:06:58

lagagnon
Website

Re: Occasional reboot instead of shutdown with kernel 2.6.36

AFAIK "halt" is different to "shutdown", depending on your BIOS and ACPI configuration. Try "sudo shutdown -h now". Does that work?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-11-28 16:11:19

snack

Re: Occasional reboot instead of shutdown with kernel 2.6.36

lagagnon wrote:

AFAIK "halt" is different to "shutdown", depending on your BIOS and ACPI configuration. Try "sudo shutdown -h now". Does that work?

Thank you, I'll try as soon as I finish my current work session. The strange thing is that halt always worked with kernel<=2.6.35, and occasionally works also with 2.6.36...

Board footer