You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-28 22:02:46

PythonEater

LibreOffice

It might just be me being a newb, but I can't seem to find LibreOffice in the extra repo, even though it shows up at http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra … breoffice/ . "pacman -S libreoffice" results in "error: 'libreoffice': could not find or read package". Anyone know what could be wrong?

"You can just deny pain… until infection leads to amputation. Then it’s really gone."
    --Craig Benzine

#2 2010-11-28 22:06:18

DWilliams

Re: LibreOffice

Works for me. Try doing "pacman -Sy libreoffice" first to make sure your package lists are synced?

#3 2010-11-28 22:14:21

PythonEater

Nope. I can find other packages in extra too, Just not that one.

"You can just deny pain… until infection leads to amputation. Then it’s really gone."
    --Craig Benzine

#4 2010-11-28 22:16:58

skunktrader

Try switching to another mirror.  Maybe the one you are connecting to is stale
http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

#5 2010-11-28 22:24:57

PythonEater

Thanks skunktrader, the mirror I was using was really stale. I wondered why when I installed python, it installed python 2 instead of 3 tongue

--Craig Benzine

#6 2010-11-28 23:08:05

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Signs your mirror is stale:
python is still the 2 branch
flies swarm about your monitor whenever you try to update
debian stable has newer packages
zombies use the same mirror
you have xfree86 installed and you hope xorg will hit the repos this year, for sure

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#7 2010-11-28 23:55:19

PythonEater

It's odd though, I used rankmirrors to get a mirrorlist, but I guess it didn't take into account how new the packages were.

--Craig Benzine

#8 2010-11-29 00:08:08

Allan
Pacman
Website

rankmirrors is entirely based on download speed.   There are scripts which taking into account how up-to-date a mirror is (reflector I think is one...)

#9 2010-11-29 00:39:44

PythonEater

That's useful to know. Thanks Allan.

--Craig Benzine

#10 2010-11-29 02:57:49

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

DWilliams wrote:

Works for me. Try doing "pacman -Sy libreoffice" first to make sure your package lists are synced?

Please don't suggest that. It is BAD practice to -Sy anything. -Syu and then -S is the correct way.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#11 2010-11-29 03:01:24

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

ngoonee wrote:
DWilliams wrote:

Please don't suggest that. It is BAD practice to -Sy anything. -Syu and then -S is the correct way.

Actually, you can now just do

# pacman -Syu package_to_install

and it will install the package, right along with the sysupgrade.
:)

#12 2010-11-29 03:12:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Misfit138 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:
DWilliams wrote:

Actually, you can now just do

# pacman -Syu package_to_install

and it will install the package, right along with the sysupgrade.
smile

Oh? cool, that didn't use to work... but you knew that =p

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#13 2010-11-29 03:15:40

Anikom15
Banned
Website

ngoonee wrote:
DWilliams wrote:

Then why don't we disable it?

I've always wondered about pacman's weird argument syntax.

Personally, I'd rather be back in Hobbiton.

#14 2010-11-29 05:00:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Anikom15 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:
DWilliams wrote:

Then why don't we disable it?

I've always wondered about pacman's weird argument syntax.

Because Arch users are assumed to be non-idiots.

#15 2010-11-29 05:11:40

Allan
Pacman
Website

Anikom15 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:
DWilliams wrote:

Then why don't we disable it.

Because it is only bad practise on a rolling release distro so the "upstream" pacman developers will not disable it.   e.g. it would be perfectly fine to do on Arch Server where there would be no soname bumps for a given release.

#16 2010-11-29 14:47:56

stqn
Website

For anyone who's wondering (like me), here's the explanation why pacman -Sy is often bad:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=89328

(it's actually linked from the pacman page of the wiki.)

Edit: And I'd like to add that insulting people is not helpful.

Last edited by stqn (2010-11-29 14:49:51)

#17 2010-11-29 14:52:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

stqn wrote:

For anyone who's wondering (like me), here's the explanation why pacman -Sy is often bad:

Neither is willfully spreading misinformation. Or posting without knowledge or at least the initiative to search.

Both of these do not apply to you, stqn, btw. Sarcasm doesn't translate online very well...

#18 2010-11-29 15:04:27

Anikom15
Banned
Website

ngoonee wrote:
stqn wrote:

Neither is willfully spreading misinformation. Or posting without knowledge or at least the initiative to search.

Both of these do not apply to you, stqn, btw. Sarcasm doesn't translate online very well...

Am I missing something?

Personally, I'd rather be back in Hobbiton.

Board footer