You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-30 16:16:45

Zyx
Website

2.6.36: everything broken on second boot: no USB, no sound, no network

Yesterday, I had to do the system update (I needed a package and no mirror had it in the previous version). Pacman updated the kernel to 2.6.36.1-3, too. After a reboot, the things generally worked, except that the fuse kernel module disappeared and I could not mount any TrueCrypt partition. During the shutdown, X.org and KDE did not close properly: the screen darkened, but nothing more happened and I had to stop the system from console using halt. Today, when I run the computer, everything's got broken. The system reported that there is no audio device, no network device, no USB device etc. so basically all I can do is reset, because the USB keyboard does not respond, too. X.org does not start, too. I checked BIOS, and the necessary settings are enabled, Windows 7 boots correctly, too.

After a while I found a PS2 keyboard, so I managed to get into the system, and basically it seems the system doesn't see any modules. I tried the first thing:

pacman -S kernel26

The kernel has been updated, I rebooted the system and it booted without any problems, except that KDE still failed to shutdown itself.

Although the problem seems not to occur right now, I decided to start this topic. Looking at the number of issues concerning the new kernel, it seems to me that something is obviously broken in it, and if I had such a problem, someone else may have it, too, and find this topic useful.

And for the package maintainers: please fix TrueCrypt/fuse and KDE packages smile

#2 2010-11-30 20:42:53

ChemBro

Re: 2.6.36: everything broken on second boot: no USB, no sound, no network

I can't help you, but I had a problem with kernel 2.6.36.1-3, too. I got a kernel panic, when I tried to boot. Only thing I could do was to revert to kernel 2.6.35.x. That happened on my big pc, not on my netbook. Maybe he didn't like my amd cpu, who knows.

Board footer