You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-30 22:06:32

whoops

[SOLVED] Intel onboard KMS can't lower screen resolution?

Hi!

My [Scenic N300 / Intel KMS / "Intel Extreme Graphics Shared Video Memory (UMA)" onboard graphics] machine boots straight after grub / kernel start... into an insane 2100x[something] resolution where I can't read anything.

I managed to get gnome running and tried changing the resolution there: Xorg crashes every time & it pops back to gdm without the mouse working (mouse starts working after logging in again). The resolutions available seem to be the right ones for the monitor - all of them -  but trying to switch just crashes xorg, nothing else.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to set the KMS resolution with that video attribute in grub kernel line... can't find any info on available modes and how to set them. Also I never had a system with intel graphics or KMS before, so no idea what to do.

(BTW: I tried an up to date ubuntu boot cd. Only the highest resolution shows up in the gnome display settings, no way to switch to a lower one. I wonder if they were aware of this bug and "fixed" it by removing the lower resolution modes - they don't even show up in xrandr there - but I couldn't find anything on that problem or who "solved" it.)

Any help? Thanks!

edit:
- Figured out my "display device" with xrandr (in my case VGA1)
- Figured out the module used in Xorg logfile (in my case i830)
- put into grub kernel line something like: i830.modeset=1 video=VGA1:1024x768
- Now I can finally read what's on my screen in TTY
Don't know the exact syntax, Xorg isn't working yet and my short term memory sucks at "copy & paste" when there's so many stairs between the two machines wink.

Last edited by whoops (2010-12-01 14:07:11)

Board footer