You are not logged in.

#26 2011-04-05 20:59:11

drhannibal

Re: Compiz standalone screenshots

Hi everyone, first post ever here big_smile
I'm using Compiz 0.8, from the community repos, with AWN.

Clean Desktop:

Busy Desktop, with Firefox, Psi, and URxvt:

Skydome, with the epic fight between Longcat and Tacgnol:

If any one knows how to prevent windows from snapping to AWN, I'd love to know, because for the moment, I have to move them to the edge of the screen myself, and I have to admit it is a pain in the ass… But unfortunately, my researches about that were far from satisfying…

Edit: As asked by the participants to the chatroom, the Psi window is now blurred in the busy and skydome view. I'll give the link to the wallpaper this evening, I don't have it here at work.

-- mod edit: read the rules and only post thumbnails https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=61754  [jwr] --

Last edited by drhannibal (2011-04-06 16:53:09)

#27 2011-04-06 05:49:41

Unia
Website

Can you share that awesome wallpaper? And I'll look into your issues this afternoon.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#28 2011-04-06 16:57:11

drhannibal

The Awesomeness wallpaper comes from here, and here is the Longcat vs Tacgnol one (I think I got it from fukung.net, where the best neighbors the worst tongue): da4b30e9a2cc09e41b54a91507d4ft.jpg

#29 2011-04-06 17:55:22

Unia
Website

Thanks! As for your issue, do you have the plugin Window Snapping enabled under Window Management? (names could be off, I'm running a Dutch translation)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#30 2011-04-06 19:20:33

drhannibal

Unia wrote:

Thanks! As for your issue, do you have the plugin Window Snapping enabled under Window Management? (names could be off, I'm running a Dutch translation)

Yes, it's enabled. I'm afraid the issue comes from AWN, as if it moved the edge of the screen.

#31 2011-04-06 20:02:05

Unia
Website

If you disable it you won't have the issue, but no window snapping either. I don't use window snapping, so if you really need it I can't help you any further I guess.

Last edited by Unia (2011-04-06 20:02:33)

#32 2011-04-08 08:25:34

ludiegu

manmachine wrote:

well...this thread could use more screenshots.
http://ompldr.org/vNm0zYw

still running compiz 0.8.6.
+ tint2 / conky
gtk theme: 'a new hope'

OMG! Great great great theme! Please, can you explain me how to get my archlinux box in that way? (which pkgs should I install?).
Sorry for the newbie question smile

Last edited by ludiegu (2011-04-08 08:29:53)

#33 2011-04-26 20:33:01

Unia
Website

Lets give this thread some love again!

After testing GNOME3 (which I quite like, though it isn't there yet), I came back to Compiz standalone:

tOGZvZQ

tOGZvZg

#34 2011-04-29 16:44:35

Unia
Website

Some updates:

tOGg2cA

tOGg2cQ

#35 2011-05-01 12:50:17

ying

Nice Desktop! What is that for a theme, dock and Notification-area?

Last edited by ying (2011-05-01 12:51:00)

#36 2011-05-08 16:17:32

Unia
Website

ying wrote:

Nice Desktop! What is that for a theme, dock and Notification-area?

Oops, am a tad late. The docks are both avant-window-navigator-bzr from the AUR. The top right one is set to Lucido style and is set to be always visible. The left one is on intellihide. The theme is Ambiance for both GTK and Emerald.

#############

My new Arch Compiz standalone setup is a mix of GTK3 and GTK2 apps - though I try to stay on the GTK3 side as much as possible. The amount and looks of themes is coming together pretty nice now. Here you see the slingshot application launcher in use, which gets triggered by moving my mouse in the top left corner. Bottom left/right are for viewport switching and top right is for the expo look. On the bottom I still have an AWN dock to acces my most used apps, apps that are currently open and the system tray. You don't see it because it is on intellihide. Am pretty satisfied with this setup now smile

tOGx5eA

tOGx5eQ

#37 2011-05-08 19:08:21

tydell
Website

How did you get slingshot to work ? There is package in AUR - slingshot-bzr, but it doesn't compile.

#38 2011-05-08 19:13:55

Unia
Website

You have to edit the PKGBUILD. Replace the vala thing by this:

valac --pkg gtk+-2.0 --pkg unique-1.0 --pkg gee-1.0 --pkg gio-unix-2.0 --pkg libgnome-menu --Xcc='-DGMENU_I_KNOW_THIS_IS_UNSTABLE' --pkg libwnck-1.0 --Xcc='-DWNCK_I_KNOW_THIS_IS_UNSTABLE' slingshot.vala frontend/widgets/*.vala frontend/*.vala backend/*.vala

#39 2011-05-08 22:30:29

madek
Website

Unia wrote:

valac --pkg gtk+-2.0 --pkg unique-1.0 --pkg gee-1.0 --pkg gio-unix-2.0 --pkg libgnome-menu --Xcc='-DGMENU_I_KNOW_THIS_IS_UNSTABLE' --pkg libwnck-1.0 --Xcc='-DWNCK_I_KNOW_THIS_IS_UNSTABLE' slingshot.vala frontend/widgets/*.vala frontend/*.vala backend/*.vala

i compiled fine but when i try to run, have the next error in console

[gonzalo@gonzalo ~]$ slingshot 

** (slingshot:22536): CRITICAL **: slingshot_frontend_indicators_set_active: assertion `self != NULL' failed

(slingshot:22536): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_style_detach: assertion `style->attach_count > 0' failed

do you know about this?

#40 2011-05-09 06:13:28

tydell
Website

It's because you have something on your desktop, maybe some application is open. When I minimalized every window and get clean desktop, then slingshot works. In other case I have the same problem as you.

#41 2011-05-09 07:05:33

Unia
Website

I don't know, here it just worked (and I don't have to minimize everything before launching either)

Maybe it's your Compiz settings? I'll post mine this afternoon so you can check

#42 2011-05-09 07:48:21

SanskritFritz
Website

Unia wrote:

Here you see the slingshot application launcher in use, which gets triggered by moving my mouse in the top left corner.

You move the mouse to the top left corner to have slingshot appear in the top right corner? What is the reason for that?
Also, your font rendering might need a little overhaul I'd say.
I'm just telling you this so I can say at the end, you have some stunning screenshots here, very nice! smile

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#43 2011-05-09 14:13:42

Unia
Website

SanskritFritz wrote:
Unia wrote:

Here you see the slingshot application launcher in use, which gets triggered by moving my mouse in the top left corner.

You move the mouse to the top left corner to have slingshot appear in the top right corner? What is the reason for that?

Where did you get that? lol The top left corner triggers Slingshot and the top right triggers Compiz' expo view.

SanskritFritz wrote:

What suggestion do you have? Generally I don't mess with the fonts, it's a lack of knowledge I guess.

SanskritFritz wrote:

I'm just telling you this so I can say at the end, you have some stunning screenshots here, very nice! smile

Thanks! smile

#44 2011-05-09 17:57:08

b9anders

Unia wrote:

I just tried this but I get 'no source file specified' error.

#45 2011-05-09 21:15:17

Unia
Website

Here's what I (think) I used:

#Contributor: Flamelab <panosfilip@gmail.com>

pkgname=slingshot-bzr
pkgver=42
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="An application launcher by the Elementary project"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="https://launchpad.net/slingshot-launcher"
license=('GPL')
depends=('glib2' 'libgee')
makedepends=('bzr' 'intltool' 'vala-git' 'libwnck')
options=('!libtool' '!emptydirs')
install=${pkgname}.install

_bzrtrunk=lp:slingshot
_bzrmod=slingshot

build() {

msg "Connecting to the server...."

cd ${srcdir}
        if [ -d "${srcdir}/${_bzrmod}" ] ; then
                cd ${_bzrmod} && bzr up
                msg "The local files are updated."
        else
                bzr checkout ${_bzrtrunk}
        fi

msg "BZR checkout done or server timeout"
  msg "Starting make..."

cd ${srcdir}/${_bzrmod}

}

package() {

cd ${srcdir}/${_bzrmod}
  install -Dm755 slingshot ${pkgdir}/usr/bin/slingshot

}

#46 2011-05-09 21:39:44

SanskritFritz
Website

Unia wrote:
SanskritFritz wrote:
Unia wrote:

Where did you get that? lol The top left corner triggers Slingshot and the top right triggers Compiz' expo view.

SanskritFritz wrote:

What suggestion do you have? Generally I don't mess with the fonts, it's a lack of knowledge I guess.

1. well, I thought the "Start typing to search" thingy is Slingshot, showing in the top right corner.
2. You could try Hador's *-ubuntu packages: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K … &SB=v&SO=d

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#47 2011-05-09 22:30:23

b9anders

Unia wrote:

Here's what I (think) I used:

Same error:

==> Starting make...
No source file specified

Using the PKGBUILD in Aur gives the same error message as reported in the latest comment back in February. :-/

#48 2011-05-10 08:30:42

Unia
Website

b9anders wrote:

Same error:

==> Starting make...
No source file specified

Using the PKGBUILD in Aur gives the same error message as reported in the latest comment back in February. :-/

Weird, for me it worked when I changed those vala settings. Maybe report it at the AUR page?

SanskritzFritz wrote:

2. You could try Hador's *-ubuntu packages: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K … &SB=v&SO=d

Thanks, I'll look into it!

Last edited by Unia (2011-05-10 08:33:54)

#49 2011-05-14 20:14:43

Unia
Website

Best GTK3 theme I found so far:

tOHA0eg

tOHA1MA

#50 2011-05-21 14:45:44

Unia
Website

Not much change here. I updated Compiz to Compiz++ and now I finally got the aero-snap feature and I changed my AWN setup a bit. Other than that, my desktop still functions and looks almost identical to what I have had for a month (and that's a record!) Oh and don't mind the Natty wallpaper; I just like its colors lol

tOHFpbQ

Board footer