You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-01 17:21:46

mrmike503

Fluxbox after Kernel/Xorg/Nvidia Update Problem

I usually update my whole system once every month or two. When I did it yesterday, things went very smoothly, except for one little problem: Fluxbox was not running anything on my second window of X. I'm running two seperate instances of X, one in each monitor. Everything runs fine on my primary monitor. Here are things I can and can't do in the second window (the second X window).

Can:
See the bar at the bottom detailing things running (granted I can't run anything in there, but that bar is there)
Start up the menu with right-click and select things.
Wallpaper script running in cron runs fine, switches wallpaper on time.

Cannot:
Run anything in that window.

I don't know if this helps as well, but when I start up, I never have my wallpapers start up immediatly. They are typically grey backgrounds, but the second window comes up black for a background. I'm not sure if that means much.

I'm running Arch x86_64 with an Nvidia GTX 460 if that helps. Everything was updated around 8:30 PM EST yesterday (if there are any patches after that, I wouldn't know, I didn't check).

#2 2010-12-24 03:57:37

SamsLembas

Re: Fluxbox after Kernel/Xorg/Nvidia Update Problem

Did you ever get a solution to this? I procrastinated my updates a lot, so I'm just now having this issue. I'm also on a Nvidia card, and am kinda suspecting a problem there.

EDIT: I found that I can run applications on the second display by running them in a terminal on the first with DISPLAY=:0.1 set. Damn inconvenient, but at least it's something.

Last edited by SamsLembas (2010-12-24 04:06:09)

#3 2011-01-14 11:04:15

Korrode

I hadn't pacman -Su'd for a couple of months... until today.
I too am now experiencing this problem.

nVidia card here too.

xfce | compiz | gmrun | urxvt | chromium | geany | aqualung | vlc | geeqie

#4 2011-01-14 11:28:18

moetunes

It's not the nvidia card it is the older fluxbox not getting along with the newer X. Apparently the latest git version of fluxbox fixes it but I haven't tried it.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#5 2011-01-14 11:28:37

Korrode

My .xinitrc before:

exec fluxbox

My .xinitrc now:

exec fluxbox -display :0.1

Problem solved.

#6 2011-01-14 14:23:05

Korrode

Problem was solved until I went to start my usual second X session.
I have a second server layout defined in my xorg.conf which I run on 'screen 1' (so i swap between them using ctrl+alt+F7 and ctrl+alt+F8), it's for outputting to my TV, since the nVidia card wont display to 3 attached devices at once.

I got errors when trying to start the second session about screen 1 already being in use, i played a round for a bit, but in the end:
I can confirm that a snapshot of fluxbox from their git repo at the time of writing has the issue fixed without needing the changes to .xinitrc that I posted above (and thus my second X session problem went away too).

Last edited by Korrode (2011-01-14 14:32:30)

Board footer