You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-20 21:31:50

Disc-Devil

Arch - i586 - Repo [Project Start]

Hello Archers !!

Im hereby, announcing the start of Arch - i586 - Repo project.

I don't know where it will lead, but im gonna do my very best to try to pull this off. I sure, will bump into alot of issues, but i feel i am ready to go.

It will be a rather slow progress i belive, but im moving forward right now. Any tips, or help that i can get is appreciated.

(admin: if this thread should be somewhere else, please move it.)

Let the show beginn.

==========
Disc-Devil

#2 2005-03-21 03:17:54

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Arch - i586 - Repo [Project Start]

It might be a good idea to contact Judd.  The mirrors currently have i586 packages for the current repo but they are outdated.  If Judd is interested and you (and other users) are willing to help, these packages could be updated and maybe the extra repo could be added as well.

#3 2005-03-21 11:05:26

Disc-Devil

That is probably a good idea, to contact Judd.. I will do that, when i have a little mmore structured project.. Right now, i am just building pkg's from the ABS tree..

It works though, and i have almsost the finished the Base branch. There are a few pkg's im struggeling with, that for some reason wont built. In thoose cases, i will just try with an earlier version of PKGBUILD, that did the trick in 1 case. This will atleast lead me forward.

I will post, my top of makepkgbuild here, to sort out wether i have right CC FLAGS or not... I do know, that it is working fine here on my box, but i guess.. that all of "you" don't have my box... wink

Im still not very "expert" on this, so i will have to ask stuff, that I can not sort out myself, but i will learn among the way. There is a few people more or less involved in this project, i have mirror space, and soon i will have an site where i can post new's and other related things.

I will ofcourse post news and so on here as well. I will write an Arch-i586 Installation guide one of the next few days... right now, im kinda busy writing an exam for school...

Have Fun!

D-D

#4 2005-03-21 16:48:52

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Search forums, I think somebody else is working on one two and you can collaborate -- share compile time, etc.

#5 2005-03-21 18:14:31

Disc-Devil

Thanks for the advice, i will do that. I have though, very recently posted in another similiar thread here on the board, but i haven't really heard anyone saying "Im doing this right now..." I haven't searched more cloesly though, but, thoose that are interested in helping out in some way or another, could always post a message here.

Hrm.. I do not know, how many there is, that is actually gonna have any use of an i586 Arch.. But, i assume there are a few/many ones that wishes to have Arch on their i586 boxes. I have no idea, how this project will end, but as i want something to do while not doing anything.. I thought that, what the heck... Since i have to compile Arch anyway, (yes i am running it on i586) i though i just help others out aswell. I wont post my Arch Beginning Story here, coz... that would prolly be looong...  lol

Back To makepkg'ing now.... Toodelo.. big_smile

D-D

#6 2005-03-21 18:56:03

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Disc-Devil wrote:

Thanks for the advice, i will do that. I have though, very recently posted in another similiar thread here on the board

maybe it was you I was thinking about... twins, are you? tongue

Dusty

#7 2005-03-22 12:34:03

Disc-Devil

Cowabunga !!

Okay, here's the deal... Now i have every base pkg, but 3.

The first one, i need to look a little closer on, is iputils. It just wont build. It gives me some error about tftpd.o something... Guess i will sort it out..

Then there is rp-pppoe, that wont build either... coz, of some adsl something...

I know, this is little weak information, im just posting, to keep you informed how the progress is coming. glibc pkg is building right now, i hope it will come out okay... If not, i gotta tweak around alittle, and see what i can get out of it...

-* Please don't hit me... *-
==========================
Disc-Devil

Oh, btw Dusty, I guess u was talking about my twin... ;p

#8 2005-03-22 13:21:15

laxity

I know, this is little weak information, im just posting, to keep you informed how the progress is coming. glibc pkg is building right now, i hope it will come out okay... If not, i gotta tweak around alittle, and see what i can get out of it...

if you have problems with glibc, i made a pkg for it 2 weeks ago wink

#9 2005-03-22 14:22:30

Disc-Devil

Bang!!

U did make a pkg for glibc? *hm* Then i know, who to bug, if i don't get this to work out... tongue

I assume, that u still have the PKGBUILD ?

That would be good...

My glibc is still building so, i don't know how it works out yet....

====
D-D

#10 2005-03-22 15:52:12

filoktetes

I think this sounds very promising!
I often come over some friends old laptop, which they think is unusable.
So I tell them that if I install Linux on it, it will work perfectly for what it's made to do.
But when I look closer, and see that it's just "two weeks" too old for Arch to work on it,
my interest dries up, since I find it too boring to install other distributions,
espessially when there's no cdrom drive on the laptop.
So, I just wanted to tell you that your work is appreciated. Thanks  smile

#11 2005-03-22 22:15:04

PAPPPmAc

Well. I've built all of "Base" and the current Kernel apparently without a hitch, as soon as i get all my systems hooked together (see other recent i586 thread if your interested) ill start in on more compicated things.

#12 2005-03-23 10:36:26

Disc-Devil

Well. I've built all of "Base" and the current Kernel apparently without a hitch....

Did u manage to build glibc too? Because... That is really driving me "nuts"... It just wont build..

And I have 2 other pkg's that wont build either... Can I count You in on this project? I think, if we got together, we could discuss how to pull it off...

So, anyone, that is really interested in helping out, please say so. Forgive me, but sometimes i am really dumb... Just saying " i guess i could" or "i have a bounch of boxes laying around.." wont cut it...

Please, Stand up! Help me, the Arch Community and, all the others out there that wan't to have Arch on their i586 boxes, to be able to have it.

Any help, in whatever meaning it might be, is really appreciated. You know how to script? Or, you can provide something else? Don't be shy, just say so... 

I do not know yet, how this project will be structured, but i know, i most certainly could need a handle big_smile

Thank You.
==========
Disc-Devil

#13 2005-03-25 00:35:35

PAPPPmAc

What build flags are(is?) everyone using? Since there is allready a i686 port, i've been using "-march=i586 -02 -pipe", for the best 586 optomisation, but less compatibility. Also, on closer inspection it would appear glibc did indeed fail, im poking at it now.
Edit: actually, 7 packages failed:
iputils - Fail
lilo- Couldn't Download
procinfo - Couldn't Download
e2fsprogs - Couldn't Download
findutils - Time stamps in the future
bzip2 - Fail
wget - Malformed MAKEPKG, looks for wget.1 as source url
glibc - Fail

#14 2005-03-25 02:25:35

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I would try to help, but I cannot find the link to the i586-test iso.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#15 2005-03-25 04:29:52

PAPPPmAc

The considerably outdated i586 install iso is here:
http://archlinux.veloxis.de/i586/

#16 2005-03-25 04:46:42

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

tnx.
tongue

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#17 2005-03-25 09:39:24

Disc-Devil

Feed me, and i will shut up... big_smile

Yo, ppl! ;D I have build all base packages now.. except 3 fookas... glibc is one of them...

dont remeber the other 2 though... I have builded some other pkg's as well, i will put them out as soon as i have gensynced them and so on....

I , (the project) will soon have a homepage. I am, well, a nice Archer, is currently in the progress of setting a HP up, and has been kind to provide me with space, where i can post Arch - i586 news...

It is not done yet, but i will keep u informed. Hope to hear from u all again, here and there. smile

Oooh, btw... i hopefully have atleast 1 box on incoming, to help me in my compiling progress.... if im lucky, i get 3.... but we will see....

Chaio!

========
D-D

#18 2005-03-25 18:13:05

PAPPPmAc

I think i just realized why glibc wont build... the pkgbuild is against the 2.6.9.1 headers. I'll try fixing that and building against a kernel i have for i586 (probably the current ABS kernel, assuming i can get a DB to generate on the partial set of packages (gensync is a bash script, and http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=4085 says it can be modified to skip instead of fail on missing packages, but i havent figured out how, since warn() isnt defined)

#19 2005-03-27 12:59:50

FUBAR
Website

Are you building the packages on the target machine? Or are you doing it on something faster? I've got a dual P166 that's running FreeBSD 4.10 now but I'd rather install Arch on it. I don't feel like compiling every package on it tho: it would be a lot cooler if I could use my Athlon XP 1900+ for that.
On the other hand, once you've compiled the packages, I can simply download and install them.

What it comes down to is: I'd love to help but I have no idea how. Tell me what I can do! smile

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#20 2005-03-27 21:51:49

PAPPPmAc

While you probably could cross-compile down i think all of us in the thread are using real i586 hardware, in my case, 5 Pentium 166 machines, sarting from one, testing on another, and now that enough is built installing to all of them (current step), then distributing builds for speed.
If you dont want to redo what others have done it appears Disc-Devil will have a publically accessable repo up soon enough (i dont have the blessing of the university to be using all the bandwidth involved in making mine public). The next big challange looks like its going to be getting the current glibc to build on i586 hardware if you know much about coaxing unwilling builds through we could ceartianly use your help.

#21 2005-03-28 18:44:12

Disc-Devil

I've just gensynced my packages, without a hitch... Well, one.. but that was just me beeing dumb.. big_smile

I will soon enough, have the packages out to the public, i also, know now, what pkg's i am currently missing.

Following pkg's are missing, the other ones, i have succesfully built. The branches not here, are not started yet...

/base

glibc
rp-pppoe
iputils

/daemons

acpid, dhcp, ircd, pcmcia-cs, samba

/lib

freetype1, lesstifextensions, libao, libtiff, nfsidmap, qt, sdl

x11

aterm, xapps

/system

at, bluez-utils, dialog, jfsutils, mailman, xfsproggs, yp-tools

This is, what so far is not built. The branches not listed here, is not started yet... Well, im currently building /extra/xfce4 at the moment, but it is still in progress.

I will soon have the pkg's out public... maybee i will do it later tonight... dont know yet...

Ciao! big_smile

[/b][/list]

#22 2005-03-28 23:21:53

FUBAR
Website

What are you talking about?! makeworld, gensync, I thought those were Gentoo terms? Do you have some URL with information about what you're doing exactly? Or can you explain this mumbo jumbo on IRC to me? I want to be in a cool project too!

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#23 2005-03-29 01:26:11

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

FUBAR wrote:

What are you talking about?! makeworld, gensync, I thought those were Gentoo terms? Do you have some URL with information about what you're doing exactly? Or can you explain this mumbo jumbo on IRC to me? I want to be in a cool project too!

makeworld and gensync are included with pacman.
For info:
# makeworld -h
# gensync -h

#24 2005-03-30 18:17:23

PAPPPmAc

Disc-Devil, what flags did you do all those with? , ive done my chunk of packages using

-march=i586 -02 -pipe

I've been tampering with the pkgbuild for glibc for a couple hours and been looking online for ideas, it takes so long to build that ive just been making one change every night and seeing how it goes.  So far no dice, but im becoming increasingly ceartain that the probelm lies in those porpouse-made headers (from PLD) that it uses, and not the GLIBC snapshot (actually being download from RedHat).  I'll post if i coax it through, I have alot of time to work on it next week and can now do parallel attempts (or, with a little more work, Distcc it across all 5).

#25 2005-03-30 18:19:30

kpiche
Forum Fellow
Website

I've built dhcp on my i586.  You need to move to 3.0.2 or change the source to ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/dhcp/dhcp-3.0-his … ver.tar.gz.

Board footer