You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-02 14:47:35

JurgyMan

recovering gentoo user

Hello,
I'm joining the Arch fold after 7 straight years of genoo!
Why? my hard drive crashed... and I just couldnt bear to compile everything again!
pluse gentoo accumulates cruft and am sick of the cleanup.

I'm liking the good package selection of Arch, and also in the AUR.
once in a while I dont find it in either...

Is there an ebuild to MAKEPKG converter script? they seem to do mostly the same thing...
Any other tips for an ex-gentooer?

Before gentoo I used: mandrake, redhat, slackware, sles, rhes... all the way back to '92.
Thx JurgyMan

#2 2010-12-02 15:00:47

drcouzelis
Website

Re: recovering gentoo user

Willkommen in Arch Linux!

I think the topic of an ebuild -> PKGBUILD converter comes up every once in a while on the forums. The general consensus seems to be that it's easier to just make a new PKGBUILD file, but you're welcome to try making a converter if you'd like.

What package are you looking for that is missing from the AUR? I'm sure someone will be happy to help you with a PKGBUILD file.

Last edited by drcouzelis (2010-12-02 15:01:07)

#3 2010-12-13 23:25:04

davidm

JurgyMan wrote:

Hello,
I'm joining the Arch fold after 7 straight years of genoo!
Why? my hard drive crashed... and I just couldnt bear to compile everything again!
pluse gentoo accumulates cruft and am sick of the cleanup.

Much of the same happened to my laptop.  I went many months without updating and when I finally did so again I decided to pull the plug 10 hours into 'emerge -uavDN world' (I changed some use flags earlier and decided the next time I would fix it) and instead installed Arch in 20 minutes.  Gentoo is an awesome distro which fills a certain niche.  It's great as long as you reasonably keep up with the updates and are patient.  I hope it sticks around and I might even use it again on another desktop.  Anyway I think you'll find Arch to be pretty accommodating to your needs. smile

#4 2010-12-14 14:51:43

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Moved to Newbie Corner.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer