You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-03 03:21:23

Tayo.hatch

command to move window to another desk?

i was wonding if there's a command to move a window to another desk. Also is there a "command line" thread because that would be really helpfull to people like me who don't know how to use it at all and would like to learn a little at their own pase, Thanks

#2 2010-12-03 03:28:13

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: command to move window to another desk?

By "another desk" do you mean another workspace? That would depend on which desktop environment and window manager you use.

Regarding "command line", I assume you want a tutorial for bash. There are many easily found through Google.

Last edited by fsckd (2010-12-03 03:30:21)

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2010-12-03 03:39:16

Tayo.hatch

yes i do mean workspace. I'm using Gnome, and a Bash thread would be desirable because people often have qustions about it for instance moving a window to another workspace, sorry for not knowing all the terms for this stuff, pretty new to the Linux world.

#4 2010-12-03 03:48:18

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Take a look at "xdotool".

pacman -S xdotool
man xdotool

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#5 2010-12-03 04:03:52

fsckd
Forum Fellow

ArchLinux assumes the user has some familiarity with the command line and it is normally recommended to learn before installation. One could learn as they go along.

A good starting spot would be this. It's for scripting but everything can be done at the prompt as well.

Another resource is the Bash entry in the ArchLinux wiki. I only mention it because we're given extra spoonfulls of gruel when we do.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what we're here for.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#6 2010-12-03 04:20:29

frabjous

Tayo.hatch wrote:

yes i do mean workspace. I'm using Gnome, and a Bash thread would be desirable because people often have qustions about it for instance moving a window to another workspace, sorry for not knowing all the terms for this stuff, pretty new to the Linux world.

GNOME is a desktop environment, but that doesn't settle what window manager you're using, which would also be helpful to know. I think most GNOME users use either metacity or compiz, but strictly speaking there are quite a few others you might be using too, from openbox to a tiling wm. As for tools that work with a variety of window managers, xdotool has already been mentioned, and there's also wmctrl. But there's a good chance your window manager has something specific that might work even better. For example, in Compiz, activating the "Put" plugin will allow you to define key-bindings for sending windows to particular workspaces, or to adjacent ones.

Board footer