You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-05 20:50:41

ANOKNUSA

[Solved] Can't change KDE toolbar icons

Howdy-ha, all.  I'm not sure if this is an actual KDE bug or if I'm just missing something, but when I enter the dialog to customize the toolbars in KDE 4.5.4, the button labeled "Change Icon" is blurred out.  Has anyone else noticed this issue?  I just came across it today, and have no idea where to even start looking for a solution.

Last edited by ANOKNUSA (2010-12-21 22:14:53)

#2 2010-12-05 23:05:48

SS4

Re: [Solved] Can't change KDE toolbar icons

Is that through

System Settings --> (Application) Appearance --> Icons ---> Advanced --> Toolbar

If so I can't appear to change the icon from the normal folder icon

edit: I'm on KDE 4.6 Beta 1 using Oxygen and iKon2

Last edited by SS4 (2010-12-05 23:06:55)

Rauchen verboten

#3 2010-12-05 23:09:09

SanskritFritz
Website

Yes, this is done poorly in KDE (yet). The reason is, that the default location for the *.desktop files is /usr/share/applications where you dont have permission to write, hence cannot change the icon. However if you change the icon from within the K Menu Editor, KDE first makes a copy of the .desktop file into ~/.local/share/applications. Then if you drag the icon from the Kmenu to the toolbar, you can change the icon wink

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#4 2010-12-06 18:27:39

ANOKNUSA

SS4 wrote:

Is that through
System Settings --> (Application) Appearance --> Icons ---> Advanced --> Toolbar

No, sorry.  To clarify: If you right-click on the toolbar of any application, then select "Configure Toolbars..." you can select which buttons you have in the toolbars.  There's also a button labeled "Change Icon" that allows you to customize individual button icons.  No more than a month ago I was able to do this; now the button's blurred out, and I can't change some mismatched icons in my toolbar.  Obviously  this doesn't affect functionality at all; I'd just like some visual cohesion.

#5 2010-12-06 19:48:48

SS4

ANOKNUSA wrote:
SS4 wrote:

Is that through

No, sorry.  To clarify: If you right-click on the toolbar of any application, then select "Configure Toolbars..." you can select which buttons you have in the toolbars.  There's also a button labeled "Change Icon" that allows you to customize individual button icons.  No more than a month ago I was able to do this; now the button's blurred out, and I can't change some mismatched icons in my toolbar.  Obviously  this doesn't affect functionality at all; I'd just like some visual cohesion.

No problem. I've just checked this in konqueror and dolphin and I have the ability to change both the icon and text. It's been a while since I used 4.5 but it's there in the beta of 4.6

Rauchen verboten

#6 2010-12-21 22:14:21

ANOKNUSA

Well, for whatever reason, this problem spontaneously fixed itself.  I can now change any icon, in any app.  Strange...but I'm happy.  Thanks for the input, folks.

Board footer