You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-06 14:29:27

Olnex

Is it possible to install Arch with only WIFI available?

Hi, I want to install Archlinux on my thinkpad T60, but there is only WIFI at my room(with WPA), so is it possible to install Arch and set up to get a full GUI desktop environment? The problem is how to connect to internet via WIFI in command line only mode, is it too complicated? Is there a tutorial on this?

Thanks!

#2 2010-12-06 14:30:26

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Is it possible to install Arch with only WIFI available?

The install CD should contain all you need to get online.  The wiki will cover the rest...

#3 2010-12-06 15:33:22

markbabc

Re: Is it possible to install Arch with only WIFI available?

Olnex wrote:

Hi, I want to install Archlinux on my thinkpad T60, but there is only WIFI at my room(with WPA), so is it possible to install Arch and set up to get a full GUI desktop environment? The problem is how to connect to internet via WIFI in command line only mode, is it too complicated? Is there a tutorial on this?

Thanks!

'The beginners guide and the install guide in the wiki cover this, i believe it also has a section for connecting to an encrypted access point. So to answer your question: yes its possible and no its not too complicated and yes there is a tutorial on this

EDIT: Heres a link to where its at in the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide#Wireless_Quickstart_For_the_Live_Environment just scroll down a little bit

Last edited by markbabc (2010-12-06 15:36:02)

Board footer