You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-07 02:43:13

ChaosTheory

ATI Display Issues - Crazy Colors

I am a fairly new Linux user and have tried a few distros and will probably stick with Arch, as I like the whole clean slate concept. I had it up and running with everything working for the most part. A few minor nuisances, but nothing major. Technically I still have it, as that setup is still on a separate hard drive. Anyway, After running it a while and learning more and more about Linux and Arch I decided to reinstall. I decided I would install the Catalyst (fglrx) proprietary drivers as was able to successfully do so from the terminal from the AUR using makepkg, before installing a WM. Installed KDE and lauched X only to get a single terminal window (similar to running startx before KDE was installed but only one window. I tried rebooting and ended up the same way, so I rebooted into safe mode where I got the normal KDE interface I was expecting. After rebooting back into normal mode everything looked ok as the little dialog showed hard drives mounting, etc. but once KDE starts loading I get weird flashing colors on the monitor, the other one is fine. When absolutley nothing is going on it shows right, but opening a window, hovering over a toolbar icon, a window open with something going on in it, or basically anything that causes the display to change (with the exception of moving the mouse) causes funny colors to display. I have a dual screen setup, and before making any changes to anything (running only

$ sudo aticonfig -initial=dual-head
$ sudo aticonfig -v

the color error was only on one screen, the second screen (which was extended, NOT clone) was fine. After running catalyst control and setting it up as a dual display and rebooting it does it on both.

Any suggestions?

Board footer