You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-08 21:21:42

Sniffer

Firefox and NBA.COM

Hi,

I have a odd problem, my arch is up and runnig on my laptop and is my distro of choice for this purpose (my main laptop), for servers i use Debian instead....but regrading my problem...

My firefox (3.6.12) is working well exception to my favourite site NBA.COM, every time i push the page i can't access to the top menu, where are standings, players, videos and so on just because firefox don't render well the page when full loaded and put get news & offers - login just in the same spot of fan stuff and photos....

Odd at least, anyone with the same problem....

Sniff

http://www.imagehousing.com/imageupload.php?id=607684

Last edited by Sniffer (2010-12-08 21:26:56)

#2 2010-12-08 21:27:02

frabjous

Re: Firefox and NBA.COM

I don't see any problem with that site in Firefox. Did you perhaps change the zoom of the page to make the text bigger, resulting in a funny overlap? Try Ctrl-0 to reset the zoom. (Or even Ctrl - to shrink the font size.)

Last edited by frabjous (2010-12-08 21:28:52)

#3 2010-12-08 21:29:04

Sniffer

Can you see the link above....i try changing the theme but without sucess...the same problem..

#4 2010-12-08 21:30:34

frabjous

Yes, I can duplicate the problem by hitting Ctrl+ to increase the zoom, but Ctrl-0 fixes it.

But if you are using a different font set up than I am, you might get the problem even at default zoom. Then Ctrl - might help.

#5 2010-12-08 22:03:36

Sniffer

frabjous wrote:

Yes, I can duplicate the problem by hitting Ctrl+ to increase the zoom, but Ctrl-0 fixes it.

But if you are using a different font set up than I am, you might get the problem even at default zoom. Then Ctrl - might help.

My zoom it's correct (ctrl-0) but in my config i have changed the fonts to droid sans, i have tried to sans or serif but the same result, could you please post your fonts config?

Thanks a bunch.

Sniff

#6 2010-12-08 22:07:27

Sniffer

Ok i solve the problem removing the tick from:

ALLOW PAGES TO USE THEIR FONTS INSTEAD OF MY SELECTION, in the advanced options....the problem now is that every site is on droid sans, it's kind of funny tough...

#7 2010-12-08 22:39:40

frabjous

That seems like too severe a solution. Doesn't control-minus (or control-alt-mousewheeldown) achieve the same effect by itself? Surely, it's only the font size that's important.

It's too much to post all the possible font configs that may be relevant here. That site seems to use Arial if you have it but go to whatever "sans-serif" is set as in Firefox config otherwise. Your original screenshot is too low resolution to tell whether I'm seeing Arial or Droid Sans. Personally, I don't even have Arial installed, but I do have a setting in my .fonts.conf which replaces Arial with Droid Sans. Droid Sans 12 is also my default sans-serif in Firefox. But there are many other variables to consider: hinting settings, what version of Firefox, whether it uses system cairo, etc., all of which affect fonts, and it seems like a tiny difference can tip things one way or another here. (I'm using Firefox 4 beta with a lot of customizations, such as pentadactyl which affect exact look.)

Anyway, rather than changing how fonts are handled on all webpages, my suggestion would be just to use control-minus if it works, and if not, then use something like the Stylish plugin to change the CSS of that one website to try a different font just on that domain. (If need help with writing that CSS, let us know.)

Last edited by frabjous (2010-12-08 22:40:15)

#8 2010-12-08 22:52:09

Sniffer

frabjous wrote:

That seems like too severe a solution. Doesn't control-minus (or control-alt-mousewheeldown) achieve the same effect by itself? Surely, it's only the font size that's important.

It's too much to post all the possible font configs that may be relevant here. That site seems to use Arial if you have it but go to whatever "sans-serif" is set as in Firefox config otherwise. Your original screenshot is too low resolution to tell whether I'm seeing Arial or Droid Sans. Personally, I don't even have Arial installed, but I do have a setting in my .fonts.conf which replaces Arial with Droid Sans. Droid Sans 12 is also my default sans-serif in Firefox. But there are many other variables to consider: hinting settings, what version of Firefox, whether it uses system cairo, etc., all of which affect fonts, and it seems like a tiny difference can tip things one way or another here. (I'm using Firefox 4 beta with a lot of customizations, such as pentadactyl which affect exact look.)

Anyway, rather than changing how fonts are handled on all webpages, my suggestion would be just to use control-minus if it works, and if not, then use something like the Stylish plugin to change the CSS of that one website to try a different font just on that domain. (If need help with writing that CSS, let us know.)

Thanks for your cooperation, ctrl + 0 don't solve BUT Stylish Plugin DOES.

BIG THANKS FOR THE FIREFOX PLUGIN.

See you around Sniff.

Board footer