You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-09 03:35:46

dakiato

Dodgy Sound - Randomly Works

Hello,

I am running x86_64 Arch, did a full upgrade from pacman a while back and it seems now that my sound is rather sketchy now. Sometimes I will boot my system up and my sound (Both input and output) works perfectly. Other times I will turn it on, and anything related to sound will cease to function (Even after a /etc/rc.d/alsa restart) unless I reboot. Other times the speakers will work and the microphone wont (And vice versa). I can't understand why this is happening. The sound seemed to work perfectly when I first installed the system (Back on Kernel version 2.6.27 with GNOME), now its a guessing game on whether it will work when my system turns on. I'm running 2.6.36 if it helps (Official kernel from the Arch repo). I'm using the onboard sound on my Intel D955XBK motherboard. The sound works flawlessly and has no issues on Debian Lenny so it isnt the board. Any idea on what could possibly be causing this?

Also. Have a similar question as well. I have a Linksys WUSB54G v4 (RT2570 chipset) running using the ndiswrapper and the windows drivers for it (Namely because the stock linux ones seemed to give a max throughput of 60KB/s). Sometimes It will connect automatically with GNOME's networkmanager to the WLAN first try, other times it will attempt and fail, ask for the key, and then connect, other times it will fail at connecting altogether until the networkmanager service is restarted. Not sure why this is doing this either. Bit of a pain to have to fart around with it each boot.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2010-12-09 04:40:31

RiceKills

Re: Dodgy Sound - Randomly Works

Next time sound works do a lsmod and copy the output to a file, then when sound doesn't work, do an lsmod again and copy the output. Check to see if there are any differences. If you see any modules that load when sound works but don't load when it doesn't, add them to your modules section in your rc.conf. If there are modules that load when sound doesn't work but don't load when it does, blacklist them in your rc.conf.

If there are no differences get back to us.

#3 2010-12-10 00:30:22

dakiato

Re: Dodgy Sound - Randomly Works

Just checked the differences in lsmod on a working sound boot and non-working and apart from being in a different order, they are all the same.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Board footer