You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-11 19:01:10

Ultraman

Problems playing AudioCD in KDE 4.5

Yesterday I decided I would revisit KDE4. I had tested KDE4.2 before, worked OK but it kept running into some issues and I couldn't really use compositing because the state of the open source ATi drivers wasn't up to it. So I went back to Openbox and I've been quite happy there since, so that's my main stay now.
But sometimes, one does miss integration and I've used KDE3 in the past to my liking.

So I installed Arch also on another drive in my system for experimental purposes.
Got KDE 4.5 running quite fast and it's improved in quite some areas, as have the open-source video drivers. So it's now a quite enjoyable experience.
But I should get back to the point...

Problem:
I'm running into trouble playing AudioCDs.

When inserting the AudioCD, KDE told me it found an AudioCD and gave me the option of opening Dolphin for it or to play it using KsCD.
Well of course I want to play it, so I chose KsCD. Which started fine, but no playback and a nice segmentation fault followed after pressing the Play button.
Because this is Sparta Arch Linux I of course began an examiniation to discover the root of the problem.

First KsCD told me on the console that I had not installed gstreamer0.10-good-plugins. (I chose GStreamer as the backend for Phonon).
Doh! That won't work without it's codec plugins. So I installed the gstreamer-good-plugins and tried again. No luck... still a segmentation fault, but no more informative messages on the command line.

Than I made sure I was capable of accessing the AudioCD and being able to play it at all with something else. I already had MPlayer (<3), and installed VLC and Amarok also.
"mplayer cdda:\\\" plays the CD fine. Chokes from time to time because it's probably not using error correction and/or read-ahead, but that's not the problem.
VLC also plays the AudioCD fine. It's configured to use /dev/cdrom, just works (as to be expected of VLC).
Remains: Amarok. Does not play the CD either. It recognizes an AudioCD is in the drive, but it says it has "0 tracks" and refuses to put it in it's playlist.

After this I also installed phonon-xine and made that the preferable engine. It displayed the same symptoms when trying to play the AudioCD.

So I have KsCD and Amarok that are incapable of playing an AudioCD. Quite annoying as those are the most native KDE apps for this purpose.
They can eject the tray and see a CD is in there, but nothing more than that.

Information I found in the terminal I ran KsCD from:

WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect  Phonon::MediaObject ( no objectName ) to  Phonon::AudioOutput ( no objectName ). 
This CD was not found.
[...]
scsi_read error: sector=29 length=27 retry=0
                 Sense key: 0 ASC: 90 ASCQ: 7f
                 Transport error: (null)
                 System error: Bad file descriptor
scsi_read error: sector=29 length=13 retry=1
                 Sense key: 0 ASC: 90 ASCQ: 7f
                 Transport error: (null)

dmesg | tail output:

sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0]  Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0]  Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0]  ASC=0x64 ASCQ=0x0
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: cdb[0]=0x28: 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0]  Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0]  Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0]  ASC=0x64 ASCQ=0x0
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: cdb[0]=0x28: 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0

Amarok returned the following to terminal when I tried to play the AudioCD using the KDE notification applet (Play Audio CD with Amarok):

QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method App::loadCommandLineOptionsForNewInstance()

Some info:
The DVD drive I'm using is a Samsung SH-S223F, firmware SB03, SATA. (scsi 0:0:0:0: CD-ROM            TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F  SB03 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5)
This drive works fine in my main Arch install and Windows 7 (for gaming purposes)

This Arch install is just one day old. Everything it up to date and pretty much stock. My user is included in the "optical" group, as mplayer and VLC can play without problems.
The KDE SC 4.5 is installed with the "kde-meta" package, so I have pretty much the whole thing on there. I also installed the GNU debugger, but those error messages do not contain any info I can really work with. But if one of you desires it, just ask and i'll post it.

I hope one of you has an idea what I might have missed or what can be done to fix this? Thanks in advance.

#2 2010-12-11 23:53:11

Ultraman

Re: Problems playing AudioCD in KDE 4.5

I also am unable to get FLAC files to play in Amarok, JuK or Dragon Player. While VLC and MPlayer has no issue with them. MP3's do play fine in Amarok and JuK. (!?)
This is a bigger issue, since half my music collection is FLAC.
No matter what backend I choose, I can't get them to play. Feels like I'm missing something... but the system is not giving me any hints.
I also installed the other gstreamer plugins, no luck.

Perhaps this is preventing playback from AudioCDs as well. Any thoughts guys?

(Oh I should have edited, sorry)
Disregard the FLAC issue, that was not an issue with the system. FLAC plays fine, the file was borked.

AudioCD is still an issue.
Tried gstreamer (double checked all gstreamer plugins are installed and libaudiocd is also installed if I can believe pacman) and xine both again. Rebooted. Nada...

I also can't get Dragon Player to play video files. Tried a couple of files, .mkv, .avi. No luck either.
Seems like my backend is seriously messed up for some reason...

Last edited by Ultraman (2010-12-12 00:21:23)

#3 2010-12-13 00:30:08

Ultraman

Still no progress.
I'm not super troubled by Dragon Player, that's just a "too bad". I use stock MPlayer for my video, it's my absolute favorite.

But KsCD, damn I'd like that to work. Just because it should.
I noticed the "kscd" process doesn't exit properly after telling it to remove itself from my sight after it fails to play the CD. It's eating one of my cores completly after it crashes.
Killing it fixes that of course wink

Btw, also installed the phonon-vlc backend and set it as the most preferable. Seems the phonon-vlc, together with the xine, are recommended by the Phonon devs. Or that's what I can make up from the KDE forums.

Last edited by Ultraman (2010-12-13 00:31:35)

#4 2010-12-19 22:26:23

Ultraman

Bump. Any ideas?

#5 2010-12-19 23:28:19

mandog

KsCD, dragon player, amorok, are all work in progress in KDE4. I use exaile for cds and all music its a great player now, VLC for movies on both Linux/windows plays virtually anything including dvd audio at 24/96 & 24/192 also work well for flash files with firefox.

Last edited by mandog (2010-12-19 23:29:07)

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#6 2011-04-07 06:38:13

cheer

Finally I was able to resolve kscd issue. If you set phonon-vlc backend as the most preferable, kscd fails to play AudioCD. Then I installed phonon-xine and set it as the most preferable, and got kscd working. I commented it in already reported kscd issue here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=222841

Board footer