You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-12 13:16:28

sweisman

notebook reliably locks up completely - cold restart required

I have a Fujitsu P7120 notebook. I bought it used several years ago and I love it, despite its age. It was very reliable and stable...but a bit slow. I decided to upgrade the stock 4400RPM drive with an SSD (http://www.kingspec.com/solid-state-dis … f-mlcj.htm), and that's where the problems started.

Honestly, I don't know if the problem is the SSD, but I never had this problem before.

Now, after powering up just fine, the notebook WILL freeze. I can't say when. Sometimes, it's just a few minutes. Sometimes hours. But always less than a day. It freezes hard. Only a complete cold restart will work.

It's VERY frustrating. The SSD is MUCH faster. It has given a new lease on life to this fanless wonder.

I've installed from scratch more than once, and did a complete fsck of the drive. None of it helps. Since this problem didn't exist before I installed the SSD, I suspect that this is the problem.

My install is a standard Arch install with X and OpenBox WM and Grub bootloader. I've read a bit about the new GPT partition table replacement. Might this help?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 2010-12-12 13:19:07

sweisman

Re: notebook reliably locks up completely - cold restart required

I should add. The drive had a single ext4 partition with no journaling.

#3 2010-12-14 05:32:43

Skookah

Just wanted to add onto this that I have the exact same problem. I've got Arch (well, ArchBang - I'll be doing a plain Arch install soon to see if that's somehow the problem) installed on an Asus G73JH. Wonderful machine, everything works like a dream, except for it hard locking every now and then. Now, this baby has a 600GB 7200RPM HDD in it, so this problem might not be strictly related to your SSD - unless the causes are completely separate and unrelated, which is always possible. I'll try to get some more detailed information up here when I have some more time, but right now it's crunch time, and I just wanted to post a quick "me too!" while I had time.

#4 2010-12-14 06:14:35

sweisman

I also have Arch on my desktop, a pretty standard Core 2 Duo with an Intel motherboard. 100% stable. Works great. No problems at all. I also run Arch on several production web servers. Again, no problems. Just this notebook, which USED to run stable before upgrading to the SSD.

Board footer