You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-12 18:51:30

sepuku

Problem Installing the Graphical environment

Hello there need your help! Following this guide : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … _Interface i'm trying for hours to install a graphical environment!Everything is ok i think until the " rm ~/.xinitrc" command!I get " cannot remove `/root/xinitrc' ": No such file or directory! I read a lot of times the guide but i can't find why there is not this file in my system!Please someone help me!ASAP!Thank you in advance!

#2 2010-12-12 18:55:39

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Problem Installing the Graphical environment

$ rm ~/.xinitrc

Means to run the command as $USER - not root. The .xinitrc is in your $HOME - as the Guide states

If you just installed Xorg, there is an empty .xinitrc file in your $HOME that you need to either delete or edit in order for X to start properly.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2010-12-12 18:56:33

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

What is your video hardware?  Why are you doing that as root?  Basically just install xorg and setup your ~/.xinitrc and you're done....

Last edited by graysky (2010-12-12 18:56:50)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2010-12-12 19:04:24

sepuku

jasonwryan wrote:
$ rm ~/.xinitrc

Means to run the command as $USER - not root. The .xinitrc is in your $HOME - as the Guide states

If you just installed Xorg, there is an empty .xinitrc file in your $HOME that you need to either delete or edit in order for X to start properly.

Thanx for the quick answer!I also tried it as a user in the home directory and i get no such file or directory too. :S

#5 2010-12-12 19:09:45

sepuku

graysky wrote:

What is your video hardware?  Why are you doing that as root?  Basically just install xorg and setup your ~/.xinitrc and you're done....

I have an nVidia Geforce 7000m i tried both as root and as user but i get no such file or directory!

#6 2010-12-12 19:14:22

kcirick

If you get "no such file or directory", it means you don't have that file in your directory. In this case, X will read the xinitrc file from /etc/X11/xinit/ directory. Or you can copy that file to your home directory:

cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc

I hope this works!

#7 2010-12-12 19:19:43

Tux the penguin

Try following the guides at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA . They worked fine for me and they are probably better than that part of the beginners guide. The wiki also has a  page for most desktop environments/window managers. Hope that helps smile

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
MSI CR600 / 3GB Memory / 320GB HDD / Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz | Archlinux x86_64

#8 2010-12-12 19:20:16

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

sepuku wrote:
graysky wrote:

I have an nVidia Geforce 7000m i tried both as root and as user but i get no such file or directory!

7000m is probably nvidia package then... couldn't be more easy:

# pacman -S xorg nvidia

Which DE are you using?

#9 2010-12-12 19:26:34

sepuku

graysky wrote:
sepuku wrote:
graysky wrote:

7000m is probably nvidia package then... couldn't be more easy:

# pacman -S xorg nvidia

Which DE are you using?

# pacman -S xorg nvidia

gives:

error:unresonable package conflicts detected 

and

error:failed to prepare transaction (conflicting detpendancies)::nvidia-utils and libgl are in conflict

What is a DE?Sorry am new in Arch! :S

#10 2010-12-12 19:28:37

sepuku

kcirick wrote:

If you get "no such file or directory", it means you don't have that file in your directory. In this case, X will read the xinitrc file from /etc/X11/xinit/ directory. Or you can copy that file to your home directory:

cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc

I hope this works!

I did what you say!After a typed

startx

i got

Fatal server error:no screens found

#11 2010-12-12 19:33:33

kcirick

DE = Desktop Environment (Ie. Gnome/KDE/ etc). Don't worry about that. You need to get X working before you worry about DE. X ships with twm, the most basic Window Management program.

It looks like you have no working video driver installed. Like other people mentioned, you need to install nvidia package, and you have some conflicting packages you need to deal with. I won't be able to help you with that, but I'm sure you'll get your answer soon enough by someone else!

#12 2010-12-12 20:12:11

sepuku

kcirick wrote:

DE = Desktop Environment (Ie. Gnome/KDE/ etc). Don't worry about that. You need to get X working before you worry about DE. X ships with twm, the most basic Window Management program.

It looks like you have no working video driver installed. Like other people mentioned, you need to install nvidia package, and you have some conflicting packages you need to deal with. I won't be able to help you with that, but I'm sure you'll get your answer soon enough by someone else!

Oh i see,then i guess i have to wait!thanx for your help!

#13 2010-12-12 20:19:33

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

The proprietary nvidia driver will require configuration. Follow the suggestion in the Beginners' Guide and use nouveau first (it has a section with instructions for nvidia cards), so you don't need a /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Once you get it working, you can switch to the closed source driver if you still want to.

Just start back at this step:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … _Install_X.

You should remove the 'nvidia' package and reboot first to make sure the module isn't loaded and nouveau is loaded (the kernel module doesn't need to be installed, it will just load when you reboot).

Then, you just need xorg and xf86-video-nouveau, along with mesa and nouveau-dri if you want 3d. If you've made an xorg.conf, delete it, and just use the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nouveau.conf that the guide tells you to make.

Switch to your regular user, make sure there's no .xinitrc, and startx will work fine.

Last edited by thestinger (2010-12-12 20:24:14)

#14 2010-12-12 20:43:59

sepuku

thestinger wrote:

The proprietary nvidia driver will require configuration. Follow the suggestion in the Beginners' Guide and use nouveau first (it has a section with instructions for nvidia cards), so you don't need a /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Once you get it working, you can switch to the closed source driver if you still want to.

Just start back at this step:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … _Install_X.

You should remove the 'nvidia' package and reboot first to make sure the module isn't loaded and nouveau is loaded (the kernel module doesn't need to be installed, it will just load when you reboot).

Then, you just need xorg and xf86-video-nouveau, along with mesa and nouveau-dri if you want 3d. If you've made an xorg.conf, delete it, and just use the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nouveau.conf that the guide tells you to make.

Switch to your regular user, make sure there's no .xinitrc, and startx will work fine.

I started from this step and when a typed

startx

i got the

no screens found

error sad:(:(:(

edit: now i noticed: how do i remove the nvidia package?

Last edited by sepuku (2010-12-12 21:00:00)

#15 2010-12-12 21:08:56

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Read pacman's man page:

$ man pacman

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#16 2010-12-12 21:14:36

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Which desktop environment do you want to install?  Gnome?  I don't know what you did to cause the conflict.

What is the output of:

pacman -Rs xorg nvidia

#17 2010-12-12 21:17:55

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

graysky wrote:

Which desktop environment do you want to install?  Gnome?  I don't know what you did to cause the conflict.

What is the output of:

pacman -Rs xorg nvidia

He's just trying to do startx with the basic X session included in the Xorg group (twm) which is what the beginners' guide covers. The problem isn't related to the DE or xorg packages, nvidia just has to be removed so that the nouveau module loads on boot.

Last edited by thestinger (2010-12-12 21:18:46)

#18 2010-12-12 21:30:06

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@thest - does the op want the open-source driver though?  It doesn't do 3D and does 2D pretty poorly by comparison.

#19 2010-12-12 22:06:29

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

graysky wrote:

@thest - does the op want the open-source driver though?  It doesn't do 3D and does 2D pretty poorly by comparison.

He's following the Beginners' Guide, which uses the open-source drivers because they're the easiest to get working. The proprietary driver can be installed post-install, and it might take some extra configuration and troubleshooting to get it working. We just did a bunch of work on that part of the guide, so it's much easier to follow and more up to date than the Xorg and NVIDIA pages.

Since it's a problem at that point in the guide, it's probably best to stick to nouveau for now and let the OP switch to the nvidia driver once he has X working, because there are a lot more potential problems with the binary driver.

Slightly off-topic: nouveau does have 3D, it's just extremely basic/slow and won't run a game like Starcraft 2. It's running compiz and EU3 perfectly fine on one of my computers. The 2D performance is also definitely not poor and it's sometimes a lot better than binary driver (no scroll lag). On a 7000M, the binary driver isn't going to get you much performance-wise that nouveau won't, but the OP will probably want to install it for the powersaving capability once they have X working.

Last edited by thestinger (2010-12-12 22:10:12)

#20 2010-12-13 11:54:04

sepuku

graysky wrote:

What is the output of:

pacman -Rs xorg nvidia

i want to install gnome

the output is

error:directive 'Server with a value not recognized error:config file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist,line 117:problem in options section error:'nvidia' : could not find or read package

and i also gave

pacman -R nvidia

and i get the same error.

Last edited by sepuku (2010-12-13 12:11:40)

#21 2010-12-13 17:37:18

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

Server with a value not recognized error:config file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist,line 117

The error tells you exactly what to fix, you have an error in your mirrorlist file. I guess if you used core and not netinstall it's possible you have pacnew files to merge like the pacman.conf that added the architecture option.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … save_Files

You can can /var/log/pacman.log to see if you missed any.

Last edited by thestinger (2010-12-13 17:37:33)

#22 2010-12-13 17:49:58

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Sepuku, the first thing you need to do is actually read your error output and not just dump it in this topic. The pacman error, as thestinger points out, can be easily solved by opening the file in question, navigating to the line mentioned, and check what's wrong there.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#23 2010-12-13 21:00:54

sepuku

.:B:. wrote:

Sepuku, the first thing you need to do is actually read your error output and not just dump it in this topic. The pacman error, as thestinger points out, can be easily solved by opening the file in question, navigating to the line mentioned, and check what's wrong there.

.:B:. ,the first thing i need is to get a graphical environment!Since am new to arch a  black screen is not very helpful!Before posting i searched and googled but i could  not find anything so that's why i posted!So telling  me "actually read the error" like am an idiot is not realy helpful.I'm not just dumping errors!Since i'm not used in the terminal i need some guidance from more experienced users who have faced the same or similar errors!Once i get a graphical enviroment i will start reading and experimenting.

#24 2010-12-13 21:07:31

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

If you are dependent on a graphical environment, you will struggle with Arch...

Also, he wasn't calling you names, B was merely pointing out that you were posting an error message that solves the very question you are asking.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#25 2010-12-13 21:13:08

sepuku

jasonwryan wrote:

If you are not comfortable working without a graphical environment, you will struggle with Arch...

Also, he wasn't calling you names, B was merely pointing out that you were posting an error message that solves the very question you are asking.

Well,after installing a graphical environment makes the struggle easier for me!Well you see the answer that is probably obvious for you or .:B:. ,for me isn't(still haven't fixed it you see sad )!That's why i asked!Am not "asking-fetish"!

Board footer