You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-13 11:00:05

orasis

Kernel26-ck

Hi,

So what I want to do is try the ck kernel without Dynamic ticks enabled (I think the default has them on, no?) ... Now...

Since I am using a PKGBUILD, which installed fine, what I want to know - is this... if I want to modify the kernel options before using the PKGBUILD do I simply modify the kernel config with make mr proper, make menu config etc and save? Building the package afterwards? Or will my config be overwritten by something included with the PKGBUILD files?

Thanks.

Thurin1 @ irc.freenode.net #archlinux

#2 2010-12-13 11:15:50

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Kernel26-ck

Just enable the makemenu config flag (set it to "y") in the PKGBUILD and run makepkg -- after the patching occurs, you'll have access to all options.

...did you read the PKGBUILD before you built it the first time?  I commented all four of the options pretty well.

# Contributor: graysky <graysky AT archlinux dot us>
# Contributor: Cray "MP2E" Elliott <MP2E { AT } archlinux.us>
# Contributor: Tobias Powalowski <tpowa@archlinux.org>
# Contributor: Thomas Baechler <thomas@archlinux.org>
###########################################################################################################
#                                          Patch and Build Options
###########################################################################################################
_BFQ_patches="n"        # add BFQ patches
_makemenucfg="n"        # menuconfig option
_streamline_="n"        # run Steven Rostedt's streamline_config.pl script - see notes below!
_use_current="n"        # use the current kernel's .config file - see notes below!
#                                        More Details and References
## Note all kernels get the ck patch set - there is no option to enable/disable it!
## BFQ
 # read, http://algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paolo/disk_sched/
## MAKEMENUCONFIG OPTION
 # Allows you to select additional kernel options prior to a build via a menuconfig.
## STREAMLINE_CONFIG OPTION
 # Similar to a make localmodconfig but this actually works!
 # WARNING - make CERTAIN that all modules are modprobed BEFORE you begin making the pkg!
 # read, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=830221#p830221
 # to keep track of which modules are needed for your specific system/hardware, give my module_db script.
 # a try: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=41689
 # Not that if you use my script, this PKGBUILD will auto run the reload_data base for you to probe
 # all the modules you have logged!
## USE CURRENT KERNEL'S .CONFIG
 # Enabling this option will use the .config of the RUNNING kernel rather than the ARCH defaults.
 # Useful when the package gets updated and you already went through the trouble of customizing your
 # config options.  NOT recommended when a new kernel is released, but again, convenient for package bumps.

Last edited by graysky (2010-12-13 11:17:42)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2010-12-13 11:23:43

tomk
Forum Fellow

The PKGBUILD has a menuconfig option.

That said, I prefer to run menuconfig myself first, create my config, put it in the build directory, and then run makepkg. That way I know the config in the build dir is the one used to build the kernel.

#4 2010-12-13 13:49:26

orasis

Alright, good stuff.

Thanks.

Thurin1 @ irc.freenode.net #archlinux

Board footer