You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-13 13:25:45

Xi0N
Website

Arch freezing in Virtualbox as Guest system

Well... i have been asking in the VirtualBox forum with no success.... http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. … 32#p166032

More or less, what is happenning is that my virtual machine, which has a fresh installed arch system, just freezes at some stages.
I realized that this happens more oftenly when there is a high bandwdth load, but i cannot know for sure, since i dont know where to check any logs....
The virtual Host is a Ubuntu 64bit, and i have no trouble with some other VMs running non-arch distros......
Could it be something related only to Arch?
Im going mad, and in the forums of virtualbox they dont seem very supportive..... hmm

#2 2010-12-13 13:51:32

skunktrader

Re: Arch freezing in Virtualbox as Guest system

What version of virtualbox? what version of ubuntu?

#3 2010-12-13 13:54:00

Xi0N
Website

Virtualbox 3.2.12
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit

Other VMs: Ubuntu Server 32 bit, Debian, Windows 7, Windows 2000, Windows XP.....

The only one failing is Arch......

#4 2010-12-13 17:31:09

Bregol

I also have a problem with a 64-bit Arch guest freezing.  I keep a 64-bit Arch sandbox guest inside of my 64-bit Arch host, so I can try out experimental patches and mess with the core pieces of the system a bit more (oooh what does this button do...), that way when i break something (when, not if big_smile) I still have a stable system for everyday use and can revert the sandbox to a previous state.

In any case, I noticed freezing a seemingly random times.  The guest would lock up, but I could still access Virtualbox's menu to power off or reboot the system.  In addition, if I did a Ctrl-R reboot of the guest system when it locked up, the boot process hangs on the part where it loads the guest additions.   I was going to try disabling 3D acceleration and see if that does anything, but haven't gotten to that yet.

Oh, and for the record, I'm also on Vbox 3.2.12.   And this is somewhat recent that this started happening, so it didn't happen at least a few versions or so ago.  WinXP VM runs just peachy, haven't checked out my CentOS and Win98 (hah!) VMs yet to see if they have this problem, but from what it sounds, they probably will not have this problem.

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#5 2010-12-13 18:20:41

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Wish I could help - Arch64 host and Arch64 and or Archi686 guests no problems.  I have a friend running an Arch64 guest on a Win764 machine 24/7 with no problems... are you bridging the network cards by chance?  I experienced problems early on when I didn't bridge them.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#6 2010-12-13 21:41:34

Xi0N
Website

The host's network cards are bonded in a single device.
Both bridged and nat network gave me problems.

#7 2010-12-13 22:18:33

Bregol

I'm using NAT on all the machines. That never gave me trouble before, so I'm not convinced yet that the network is the problem.

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#8 2010-12-13 23:04:06

Xi0N
Website

Could it be some buggy guest additions?

#9 2010-12-14 00:10:45

Bregol

Did a little test... if i wget some files, I can wget for quite a while without any signs of freezing.  So far so good.  I try wget several files in parallel.  Still good.   Then I try to watch a youtube video - low quality video.  Freeze in about 2 minutes in.

That say to me that it is not a network issue.  NAT or bridge or whatever is all fine.  So it is at least triggered by flash video in web browser.  I would guess it is related to playing flash video.  Could isolate better if I test regular video playback (mplayer), test a flash website that isnt a video player, test a website that has no flash (to make sure it isnt just firefox itself).  If it is video-related, I would wonder if it is something with the cpu or graphics settings.  With it hanging on the guest additions when i go from a freeze right into a reboot, I would tend to think it to be something with the graphics driver.  But this is just speculation now.  Let's play around a bit with the setting and narrowing down what causes the freeze, and then also maybe update your thing on the vbox forums with what we are finding here?

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#10 2010-12-14 01:04:03

Bregol

OK, here we go... all with the same video clip:

firefox + flashplayer + flash video (youtube) = freeze
firefox + flashplayer + old school flash animation movie = OK
use mplayer to play .flv file = OK
chromium + gnash + flash video (youtube) = OK
chromium + flashplayer + flash video (youtube) = OK
... then I finish the loop by doing firefox + flashplayer + flash video (youtube) = freeze in the first 10 seconds

Anyone else seeing that a combination of firefox + flashplayer is causing a problem?  Xi0N, is that combination what is causing the freeze for you?

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#11 2010-12-14 04:29:35

Xi0N
Website

Will try in a couple of hours:
What is true is that i also realized that whenever i wanted to see youtube videos, i got a freeze problem as well......
Once, i actually opened like 6 or 7 tabs in chromium... some of them might have been youtube videos.... the vm froze in seconds.....
Will test what you did and report in some hours.

I left the vm dl'ing some files via jdownloader like 12 hours ago: Lets cross fingers: If it is still working, i would discard the "high bandwidth stress" theory.

#12 2010-12-14 05:30:53

Xi0N
Website

The VM is still up and running (im posting from it right now)
Im trying some youtube videos meanwhile i open and use some other apps.... the system seems stable after i de-activated some options...

If this goes on without a freeze, i will post which options i did disable....... and will keep on testing.....

#13 2010-12-14 06:43:37

Xi0N
Website

So far, so good.

This are, more or less, the options i chose (and i did not choose) for the virtual machine:

Motherboard
    1100 MB RAM
    Enable IO APIC
    Hardware Clock in UTC Time

Display
    (Unchecked) 3D Acceleration (Greyed out, anyway)
    (Unchecked) Enable 2D Video Acceleration
    Video Memory 24 MB (I thing this is pointless, less MB would not make any difference)
Processors 1 (even i have 4 cores)
    (Unchecked) Enable PAE/NX
Acceleration
    (Unchecked) Enable VT-x/AMD-V
    (Unchecked) Enable Nested Paging

No audio
Network adapter -> Bridged
USB -> Disabled

And this is a error message that appeared when shutting the VM:

stopk.png

I have been watching Youtube Videos and buying something from eBay.... no problem at all.......

EDIT: When i open Chromium, it (cromium) seems to get hung-up.... switching to another console and soing a 'killall chromium' a couple of times kills the app..... i dont know if this would be related to all the problem.....

Last edited by Xi0N (2010-12-14 07:00:18)

#14 2010-12-14 12:35:27

Bregol

I also get that shutdown error now that I look at that.  Don't know how relevant it is, though.  Chromium was actually OK for me with flashplayer - it was firefox + flashplayer + flash video that causes problems.  Can you check with firefox and see if that causes it to hang with your settings?

Btw, I have PAE/NX, VT-x/AMD-V stuff enabled over here when I did my testing.  3d and 2d acceleration disabled.

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#15 2010-12-14 13:16:50

Xi0N
Website

I just saw a 3 minutes video on youtube from firefox: No problem at all...... try disabling the pae/nx vt-x and that stuff and see if now it still freezes......

#16 2010-12-14 22:44:53

Bregol

Got it smile  The pae/nx and friends are not the problem, but you did hit upon the solution in one of the other config things you changed.  The answer is in the # of processors - the other options don't matter to this problem.  If you have it set to use >1 processor, you get flash video freezes.  If you have it set to only 1 processor, it all works peachy.  I had 2 of my 4 cores selected before, but I will just have it use 1 for the time being.

Not sure if the problem is in Arch or Vbox or Flash, but I'm glad we could get that isolated to a single config setting so we can work around it.  Now that I know what to look for, it might be related to this?:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7619
Although the freeze seems to only happen when watching flash video, at least that I've observed.  I guess update your vbox thread with the fix and check out that bug report.  1 processor it is... i can live with that.

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#17 2010-12-15 05:08:54

Xi0N
Website

Ok, im trying now what you said.
I also informed at virtualbox forums about our progress (http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. … 63#p166363)
BTW: It seems like 2 cpu's are fine as well.... im not sure: I will try with ony one, enabling all the acceleration options you said, and maybe after a while, i will try 2 cores, and see what happens....

Anyway, i hope they get this fixed......

Thanks, and it was a pleasure to "work" with you!

#18 2011-02-22 03:53:51

jetm

Hi,

My ArchLinux System Guest have the same problem but only with kernel >=2.6.35, I can't use the latest archlinux kernel version because in certain random time the whole system keep freezed. Don't happen with kernel 2.6.32-lts using 4 cores in all cases and VirtualBox 4.0.4 on Windows 7.

Any progress with this issue?

TIA,

#19 2024-02-19 13:40:30

IrtyGo

When I try to run YouTube in Firefox or Chromium the VM freezes but the cursor is still moving and occasionally crashes the VM.
Guest OS: Arch Linux x86_64 with LXQT and LXDM
Host OS: Windows 11 Pro x64
Host CPU: Intel Core i3 i3-1215U
Host Secure Boot: Disabled (after installing Windows)
Host RAM: 4000 MB
Guest RAM: 1829 MB
Guest OS running in Legacy Boot.
Host OS running on EFI boot.

UPDATE: I fixed it by uninstalling Guest additions.

Last edited by IrtyGo (2024-02-19 13:56:18)

#20 2024-02-19 18:16:56

ewaller
Administrator

Using this opportunity to close this old thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer