You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-13 17:51:30

B-Con
Website

Did the urxvt shading setting change?

It seems to me that the recent version of URXVT in the repositories, v9.09, comes with a switch of the shading setting. Before, I had the lines

URxvt*transparent: True
URxvt*shading: 0 
URxvt*fading: 20

in my ~/.Xdefaults config file, but after the upgrade I just got a black background rather than the pseudo-transparent background I always had before. I looked at the man page and saw this:

shading: number
           Darken (0 .. 100) or lighten (100 .. 200) the
           transparent background; option -sh

so I switched to

URxvt*shading: 100

and my transparent background was displayed again. I've had this happen on both my Arch installs.

The urxvt changelog is here (with, apparently, a new release just hours ago). I don't see anything in the 9.09 release notes that looks like it mentions this, but there are a couple vague pixmap related changes.

Can anyone else confirm this change (edit: specifically, the pre-9.09 behavior)? I seem to remember the shading setting only darkening the background and 0 was for no darkness, hence I originally had it set to 0.

(I'm curious if the shading setting did change or if I actually had it at 100 and just set it to 0 accidentally in the midst of editing and syncing misc config files between machines (which I find unlikely).)

Last edited by B-Con (2010-12-13 20:41:08)

#2 2010-12-13 18:42:15

Ramses de Norre

Re: Did the urxvt shading setting change?

Got the same behaviour.

Board footer