You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-14 13:44:23

zaf

Kernel Modules error

Greetings to all. I'd be needing some expert advice on how to successfully build the kernel.
I'd give some information on how I proceeded. I installed arch and the I followed the Improve Boot performance wiki for Arch. I modified the boot file first. I opted for Asynchronous startup and the I commented out unused terminals except for TTY1 and 2. Then I modified the grub to add "fastboot logo.nologo quiet ipv6.disable=1" to ther kernel line. I then edited the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and I deleted all the hoots except for "base network". Then I put all my modules in the enclosed space in the same file. After that, I modded the /etc/rc.conf and I put MOD_AUTOLOAD="no" and as in the mkinitcpio.conf file, I also put all my modules in the rc.conf file.
Basically, I put all my modules in these 2 files.
Then I downloaded the source from the Kernel.org file and untar it. I am having 2 issues.
First of all, the I issue "patch -p1 patch-file" in the extracted folder, I do not get any result since the operation never completes.
The second issue is that after I issued the commands (make, menuconfig, make, make modules, make modules_install", I get only a few modules for the output compared to my hardware which consists of around 20 modules. i even tried to build a stock kernel without any modifcation in the menuconfig and I still get around 3-6 modules which are loaded. Obviously, mkinitcpio -k 2.6.36.2-ARCH -g /boot/kernel263.img fails because it cannot detect all the modules. If I try mkinitcpio -k 2.6.36-ARCH -g /boot/kernel263.img, the build is successful but unbootable.
My output from make modules_install:
  INSTALL arch/x86/kernel/test_nx.ko
  INSTALL drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
  INSTALL net/netfilter/xt_mark.ko
  DEPMOD  2.6.36.2
Some output from mkinitcpio -k 2.6.36.2-ARCH -g /boot/kernel263.img:
  ERROR: module 'reiserfs' not found
  find: `/lib/modules/2.6.36-2-ARCH': No such file or directory
  ERROR: module 'ac' not found
  ERROR: module 'battery' not found
  ERROR: module 'button' not found
  ERROR: module 'processor' not found

If I try mkinitcpio -k 2.6.36-ARCH -g /boot/kernel263.img, the build is successful but unbootable and I get the mount error since the system cannot mount the file to /new_root.

My question is how to successfully compile all the needed modules?

#2 2010-12-20 02:33:48

zaf

Re: Kernel Modules error

I managed to solve the issue and now I can boot without initrd.

In case that the dev want a wiki of all the details on how I managed to solve this issue, I'll be more than happy to make a write-up so that any one who is willing to compile everything in the kernel will be allowed to do so.

Board footer