You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-22 19:07:14

soloport

Migrate HDD from AMD to Intel mobo

I posted this before, but got no response:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ght=#75672

More to the point, however: Has anyone built Arch onto a HDD using an AMD-based mobo, then switched the mobo to an Intel-based one?

Was the operation a success?  Did the patient survive?  Was it hoooorrribly disfigured?  What can I expect, as far as pitfalls?

Thanks...

#2 2005-03-22 19:44:16

IceRAM
Website

Re: Migrate HDD from AMD to Intel mobo

I copied my arch
from: P3 450MHz, i440BX mb chipset, 8.5GB IDE HDD, Matrox video card
to: P4 3GHz Prescott, i875P chipset, 120GB SATA, GF 5700FX videocard
AND the patient survived. It was my first ArchLinux install and it still is.

Sorry, I have no AMD experience. I have never used AMD on my own computer.
I have always used:
a) Intel chipset + Intel CPU
b) Gigabyte MB + Gigabyte Videocard

P.S. AMD64 looks appealing though... smile

#3 2005-03-22 21:20:54

incinerator

I don't see a reason why it should not work, as long as you are not compiling your own kernels.
There may be some minor issues with certain static modules configurations (e.g. nvidia gfx card on the old machine, ati on the new one) but the box should boot up to a stage where you can fix things that are not working anymore.

From what I've seen Arch Linux makes heavy use of hotplug, therefore changing h/w configuration should not bother a default install to much.

Only one advice: Before first bootup make sure the disk is the same in order as on the old machine. E.g. if on the old computer the hard disk is the first (primary master), it should also be the first on the target. If the disk order changes you will need to adjust it using a LiveCD or another Linux install on the target box, that will at least include installing a boot loader and adjusting your /etc/fstab. The safest thing is to make the disk primary master (or equivalent if you are using SATA) on both machines.

You mave have to experiment with the LBA settings in the target's BIOS. Also, moving to a box which is really old may render the install unbootable, as the hard disk may simply be to large for the old motherboards BIOS to cope with.

Cheers,
Dominik

#4 2005-03-28 07:37:37

soloport

Ok, ok... I've been to hell and back, at least twice:
Attempt: Installed Win4Lin Pro and Win3k Pro
Result: Slowest Windows, ever

Attempt: Installed Win4Lin 9x and Win98
Result: Hey, it's the original Win98 -- 'nuf said?

Optional: Setup a dual-boot system
Result: More time-consuming mess

So, after two full weeks (evenings and weekends) I had to step back and ask myself, why have I just gone through all this?  The answer: Quicken and QuickBooks.  So, I beg of you: Are there *still* no alternatives for these on Linux?  What have you tried?  How did it compare?

Here's what I tried three years ago: SQL Ledger; MyBooks (or something like that which ran Java -- slow); Gnucash.  (Three years ago, the alternatives were, well, junk.)  Is there any hope?

Thanks...

#5 2005-03-28 07:49:02

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Have you check these apps recently?  In 3 years, they could have evolved rapidely.

I have a dual-boot system.  I don't know what you mean by more time-consuming unless you're talking about rebooting to switch from one to the other.  It's just trickier to setup (boot loader).

#6 2005-03-28 08:04:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

soloport wrote:

Ok, ok... I've been to hell and back, at least twice:
Attempt: Installed Win4Lin Pro and Win3k Pro
Result: Slowest Windows, ever

Try qemu for emulation. It kicks the crap out of win4lin as far as emulator speed goes. Especially if you get the kqumu module compiled into the cvs branch..
and win2k or winxp would be better than win3k for emulator use, as they have been around longer. Use them, if you can help it. (i realize that sometimes you cannot  :? )

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2005-03-28 10:35:37

i3839

I just switched the hd from an intel box to an AMD one (hurray, upgrade, finally). All I did was compiling a new kernel because I use custom kernels (if you use the default Arch kernel that shouldn't be needed), and changed /etc/fstab and my grub.conf to make the switch from hdc to hda. I also needed to change the videodriver in my X config.

Just too late I found out a way to not bother about hdc/hda stuff in fstab by using filesystem labels. Instead of having something like:

/dev/hdc4      /               ext3    noatime

now I use

LABEL=root      /               ext3    noatime

After doing `e2label /dev/hdc4 root` as root (I did this for all my partitions). Swap can be labeled too with the -L option to mkswap. Other filesystems than ext should be able to be labeled too, with their specific tools (at least Reiserfs can). I just found out that the bootloaders also support labels, so instead of using root=/dev/hdc4 I'll use root=LABEL=root now. After changing to labels you should be able to plug your hd wherever you want without changing anything. Only the (hd0,0) needs to be changed when you add more hd's, no idea how to avoid that.

Board footer