You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-16 16:19:09

theguzz

[solved] Installation on SSD with the standard arch setup?

Hey guys,

got my ssd today smile I read a lot about partitioning and so on, but I still have a simple question:

The wiki page says that the disk should be formatted using gpt or mbr. I would like to have a dual boot, so i'll have to chose mbr-method. But why should I use fdisk and not the standard method in the arch install script?

thx

Last edited by theguzz (2010-12-18 17:07:32)

#2 2010-12-16 18:41:27

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [solved] Installation on SSD with the standard arch setup?

theguzz wrote:

Hey guys,

got my ssd today smile I read a lot about partitioning and so on, but I still have a simple question:

The wiki page says that the disk should be formatted using gpt or mbr. I would like to have a dual boot, so i'll have to chose mbr-method. But why should I use fdisk and not the standard method in the arch install script?

thx

I don't know what "the wiki page" is (we have more then one wiki page), but it looks like it's not the official installation guide.
the arch installer uses cfdisk, I wouldn't know why fdisk would be better then fdisk for your case.
So i'ld say just use the arch installer if you want to use mbr.  If you want nilfs2 support, try one of the latest testbuilds: http://build.archlinux.org/isos/2010.12.07/

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#3 2010-12-16 23:08:44

theguzz

Re: [solved] Installation on SSD with the standard arch setup?

Oh, Sry! I mean the Wiki page for SSD!

There is descibed, how to get the max out of the SSD. And to Be more precise I want to make a arch/Windows dual boot. The Article says that it is not possible with gpt.

So, the arch installer uses cfdisk? Is it possible to align the partitions like with fdisk? I think that is the point, the Alignment! Its all described in SSD-Wiki-page, but a Little confusing to me!

Board footer