You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-17 02:57:47

iamsmrt

Can't hibernate/suspend my desktop

Trying to get pm-utils working on my desktop and have had no luck. Basically running either pm-suspend or pm-hibernate will leave me with a black screen with a blinking cursor, fans still going and everything. I've tried:

# echo -n "shutdown" > /sys/power/disk
# echo -n "disk" > /sys/power/state

and that results in the same behavior. As I understand it, that's one of the most basic ways to hibernate your computer and that's what pm-hibernate essentially does. What am I doing wrong here?

#2 2010-12-17 12:40:42

mordoc

Re: Can't hibernate/suspend my desktop

A couple things after struggling with this myself...

1. I didn't know that you could just echo to /sys/power, I used the scripts in the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm-utils) for either the hal or upower ones which seemed to work for me

2. I forgot to put the whole hooks thing (adding a hook for resume) so it would do the same thing yours is doing

3. Finally, I also found that partition in grub wasn't specified right

Hope this helps...

#3 2010-12-17 18:51:51

iamsmrt

Re: Can't hibernate/suspend my desktop

mordoc wrote:

A couple things after struggling with this myself...

1. I didn't know that you could just echo to /sys/power, I used the scripts in the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm-utils) for either the hal or upower ones which seemed to work for me

2. I forgot to put the whole hooks thing (adding a hook for resume) so it would do the same thing yours is doing

3. Finally, I also found that partition in grub wasn't specified right

Hope this helps...

1. I'll give it a try but I thought those things were just so you could run it without having root privileges.

2. Yup, added the resume hook after sata and before filesystems. I even removed autodetect and tried without that, still nothing.

3. Added resume=/dev/sda2, which is my swap, is there anywhere else that the partition is referred to in menu.lst?

Board footer