You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-17 07:39:21

vostok4

HOWTO: Installing Arch Linux on Google Cr-48 netbook

I decided to throw ArchLinux on my Cr-48 netbook because I think that Ubuntu is a little too bloated for the hardware, and because I've never really used Arch before and it seems like the sweet spot for me (I'm a long time gentoo user, but I don't look forward to compiling Xorg on an Intel Atom!).

Predominantly you will follow the Ubuntu guide:
https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org … on-a-cr-48

However, there will be a few differences, and as well some tips. I'll try to write them out in order that they apply to the original document.

#1: If you do not have a USB ethernet adapter, make sure you have a >=8GB usb key!
#2: Yes, you do need a linux machine to complete the tutorial (well perhaps not, cygwin may work but I didn't try it, in theory it actually should), but you do not need the chromium-os repo or any of the repo tools
#3: Don't be afraid to experiment!

OK, that aside, let's go through the steps. I'll outline them here, refer to the actual doc linked above to get the nitty gritty.

Step 1:
Resize your partitions. Essentially the way the disk is laid out in the Cr-48 by default is 3 pairs of kernel+rootfs partitions. Two of those pairs are used by ChromeOS (the spare sits waiting for a new update, when it comes, the spare is updated and the bootloader chooses the spare to bootfrom, while the old "live" disk becomes the new spare. Always lets you go back to the previous snapshot you were running! Nice for switching between dev/beta channels in the future).

The third pair will be our pair (/dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7).

The instructions on this step need to be followed exactly, as you can screw up partition boundries pretty roughly.

Step 2:
Install Arch Linux into a container file. The guide tells you how to do this with VirtualBox on Ubuntu, and as that's the extra machine (a Ubuntu one)I had laying around, it worked perfect for me. This should work on any *nix distro with Virtualbox though, so don't fret if you aren't on Ubuntu.

Now, the Google guide assumes you are going to have the Chromium OS source repo installed so you can chroot to it and run cgpt (the purple text). If you just want to get a different OS on that sucker (re: you don't plan on developing the chromium os), you don't need the repo at all. You can find the cgpt tool on the Cr48 laptop in /usr/bin/cgpt, just scp it over (this is as root, on the actual Cr48):

# scp /us/bin/cgpt user@ubuntuHost:/path/to/cgpt
# chmod a+rx /path/to/cgpt

Ignore the warnings about it not being able to save the host key, you'll just have to type "yes" each time you ssh or scp to your Ubuntu machine.

In /arch/setup, do not worry about partitioning the disks (the setup tool won't work anyways as it uses cfdisk and will error out due to GPT), just format /dev/sda1 your preferred fs type. The ChromeOS kernel supports ext2, ext3, ext4 (probably others) but since its an SSD, you will find holy wars about whether or not journalling is wear levelling the drive with extra writes (I went with ext4, only metadata heavy operations really seem to be an increase in writes, and even then its 4MB->7MB, high in percentage, small in size, plus I really don't want ext2 to die on me).

I like to install base and the following packages to configure wifi:
dialog, iproute2, linux-atm, netcfg, wireless-tools, wpa_actiond

Step 3:
Write the contents of the modified container file to /dev/sda7. The guide tells you to use ssh, cat and piping to achieve this, however I noticed (after waiting a while at first, then watching traffic from my host machine sit idle) that the Wifi on my Cr-48 drops out after transmitting ~1.7GB of data. This is where the USB key comes in, you can just copy the rootfs.bin file onto it (format it with a FS that is suitable for file sizes >=4GB) then do dd if=/media/yourUSBKey/rootfs.bin of=/dev/sda7 and wait for it to complete.

To see where your key is mounted, you can dmesg | tail until its mounted, then run "mount".

Step 4:
Modify the kernel config line from your currently used kernel, and write the kernel to /dev/sda6. This step also assumes you have the Chromium OS source installed, however once again we don't need it, you can just get the files from the online source repository:
http://codesearch.google.com/codesearch … miumos&d=0
http://codesearch.google.com/codesearch … miumos&d=0

Grab them on your nix machine, scp them into your Cr-48.

This one is where I ran into some trouble, and not really sure why as it had nothing to do with Arch Linux. The following command would always fail for me:
sh ./make_dev_ssd.sh --partitions '6' --save_config foo

What that command does is read in your kernel into a temporary file, use dump_kernel_config on the tmpfile to read out the config line the bootloader uses, and saves the config line to a file given by your flag and appended by .6 (the partition number), so foo.6 in this example. However, dump_kernel_config /tmpfile was always failing on my machine with a memory mapping error when working on partition 6. dump_kernel_config /dev/sda6 worked fine however, its just when reading from an image file it was failing.

If you load up make_dev_ssd.sh in qemacs, you will find a line:

mydd if="$ssd_device" of="$old_blob" bs=$bs skip=$offset count=$size

I replaced that line with (just temporarily):

mydd if="/dev/sda6" of="$old_blob" bs=$bs

And all my troubles went away, the tool was able to grab the config, I edited it with qemacs as per the doc, and it wrote it back.

Step 5:
Set your boot priority, test out a boot and you should be dropped at an arch linux shell! If it works, you can fix the bootorder permanently (well until the next update, as per the doc) from Arch Linux.

Drivers:
So far I haven't had any issues with drivers. Make sure you install xf86-video-intel for the intel Xorg driver, and alsa-utils for controlling sound, but acpi and all looks to be just fine (which is expected). I need to bring in some of the keymap settings from the ChromeOS as I'm sorely missing the pageup/pagedown/home/end shortcuts.

Performance:
Performance is pretty awesome considering what you have. I'm getting ~8 hours of battery life in Arch running dwm. It seems much snappier than the ChromeOS install on the exact same hardware.

I will update this thread with caveats/fixes as I come across them, I've just started experimenting myself.

#2 2010-12-17 18:20:23

soleen

Re: HOWTO: Installing Arch Linux on Google Cr-48 netbook

Thank you for the info. Please keep it updated, may be add it to WIKI as well?

#3 2010-12-18 09:54:17

roy_hu

I got mine today. Very helpful. Thanks!

If I completely mess up the hard drive, how do I go about restoring to the factory setting?

The way ChromeOS is set up is very unfriendly to user-installed binaries (for security reasons or whatever): the root fs is executable but read-only, and the stateful partition is writable but not executable. Is it still true when you boot into Arch? Can you install programs via pacman?

#4 2010-12-18 09:57:21

vostok4

If it boots, you'll be able to restore the factory setting, just follow these instructions: http://www.google.com/support/chromeos/ … er=1080595

As for the user-installed binaries, those restrictions only exist *inside* of ChromeOS. Once you boot into Arch, you have complete control over everything and what you want. You don't deal with the stateful partition, you don't deal with the other Chrome partitions, all Arch cares about is /dev/sda7, it gets one partition only, but it has full access to that partition.

I've got a bunch of apps running on mine now and its pretty sweet for the resolution/battery life/keyboard (touchpad sucks, yes, but with dwm I rarely need to use it).

#5 2010-12-19 07:35:18

walmartshopper

I got mine and installed Arch + KDE.  It runs pretty well, even with compositing enabled.  Once I get the 3G connection working, it will be perfect.

#6 2010-12-19 16:04:00

feld

I just installed Arch on my CR-48 because Ubuntu is a bit bloated for my taste but I have a terrible problem. I'm running XFCE4 but I doubt that's related. The issue is that the touchpad is completely unusable when I have the AC plugged in. As soon as it gets plugged in the touchpad acts very erratic. When I unplug it the touchpad acts normally. Thoughts?

#7 2010-12-19 16:15:48

damis648

I am having some issues with the partitioning step. The guide said that running

sudo initctl stop powerd

would stop the backlight from dimming, but as it turns out, it also stops the laptop from shutting down due to inactivity. So I was in the middle of the

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=131072 seek=1040 count=47280

step when the laptop just shut down. Now I am stuck at the "Your system is transitioning to Developer Mode" screen, where it says to wait 5-10 minutes for the system to reboot. It's been about half an hour, and I am still stuck here. What should I do? Should I shut it down and then try again? Or do the recovery thing?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. I just made a recovery drive and started again.

Last edited by damis648 (2010-12-19 16:52:38)

#8 2010-12-19 17:45:22

vostok4

feld that sounds kind of bizarre... I have no idea what would be causing that. Do you have acpi installed?

damis648, *doh* good to point out, I'll update the original post to remind people that they should keep power plugged in smile Good news though with the recovery.

#9 2010-12-19 19:14:16

feld

vostok4 wrote:

feld that sounds kind of bizarre... I have no idea what would be causing that. Do you have acpi installed?

after further research I found others reporting similar symptoms with touchpads. turns out there's something wrong with that wall outlet (grounding issue?) as I moved to another outlet and it's OK.

#10 2010-12-19 20:14:04

damis648

Am I the only one having problems with the synaptics driver? It doesn't seem to pick up the trackpad. I have 10-synaptics.conf at the default, along with SHMConfig, but synclient says that the synaptics driver isn't loaded. I know that it's located at /dev/input/event6, and specifying that just breaks trackpad functionality. Without the driver, there's no two finger scrolling or two finger right clicking. Left and right click are registered on the bottom of the pad. Thanks in advance.

#11 2010-12-21 03:27:43

tlp

damis648 wrote:

Am I the only one having problems with the synaptics driver? It doesn't seem to pick up the trackpad. I have 10-synaptics.conf at the default, along with SHMConfig, but synclient says that the synaptics driver isn't loaded. I know that it's located at /dev/input/event6, and specifying that just breaks trackpad functionality. Without the driver, there's no two finger scrolling or two finger right clicking. Left and right click are registered on the bottom of the pad. Thanks in advance.

I am noticing the same problem. If it matters I am running xfce. I'll play around with it but I can't say I know enough to fix it.

Also, thanks a lot vostok4 for the guide! smile

#12 2010-12-21 05:25:29

walmartshopper

I made some progress by copying the files from Chrome's /lib/firmware into Arch's /lib/firmware.  Webcam is working, and the 3G modem now shows up as wired interface usb0 just like it does in Chrome.  I still haven't figured out how to get it connected to Verizon though.  I noticed that Chrome had the mobile-broadband-provider-info package installed, so I installed that in Arch.  I tried getting an IP from Verizon using DHCP but no luck.  I also tried getting my IP, subnet mask, and gateway from Chrome and configuring it manually in Arch, but still nothing.

I can't get the touchpad working properly either.  I don't even care about multitouch, I just want vertical scrolling to work.  I have kcm_touchpad installed, and it says Device Not Found.  The xorg.conf in Chrome is using the "syntp" driver and "/dev/input/mice" for the device, but that didn't work either.

Things I still haven't figured out:
-3G connection
-Synaptics driver
-Battery driver/monitor
-Suspend

Everything else is working.  If I can get these things fixed, it will be perfect.

#13 2010-12-21 06:05:16

walmartshopper

Actually, suspend is working, it just isn't showing up as an option in the KDE power management.  But the pm-suspend command works fine.

#14 2010-12-21 06:16:21

vostok4

Great call on the /lib/firmware move,  ill give that a shot.  Are you using networkmanager? That has native support for 3g connections. I am not using it but you may try if you are able to. I have fully functional acpi,  ie battery life,  charging,  suspend etc. I don't think I have anything special other than copying the kernel modules. Will post my acpi packages when I get home. Good work!

#15 2010-12-21 16:37:17

walmartshopper

Got acpi working, I had forgotten to add hal to my daemons array.  So now I just need 3G and synaptics working and I'll be set.

#16 2010-12-21 17:41:34

walmartshopper

This is interesting... Synaptics is providing their linux multitouch gesture suite to OEMs like Google, but not to end users yet.  Maybe this is what we're waiting for.

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/google-chrom … -04205317/

I'm going to see if I can find it on the Chrome partition and move it over to Arch somehow.

#17 2010-12-21 21:05:23

damis648

walmartshopper wrote:

This is interesting... Synaptics is providing their linux multitouch gesture suite to OEMs like Google, but not to end users yet.  Maybe this is what we're waiting for.

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/google-chrom … -04205317/

I'm going to see if I can find it on the Chrome partition and move it over to Arch somehow.

The most I could find was to try and copy the /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/syntp_drv.so file to Arch, and set that driver in 10-synaptics.conf. It did not work no matter what I tried, and from what it looked like, X didn't actually load the driver (based on Xorg.0.log).

#18 2010-12-21 21:28:13

pheonix7117

I'm trying to figure out the touchpad (on Ubuntu instead of Arch Linux) and found there's a folder /opt/Synaptics as well, and a file /etc/init/syntpenh.conf. According to the xorg.conf, the touchpad is using the driver 'syntp'.....I have no idea what to do with /opt/Synaptics though

#19 2010-12-21 22:43:19

walmartshopper

There are also some init scripts and /var/lib/Synaptics.  I can't remember where the init scripts are located, but just cd to / and run "find . | grep synaptics".  There's a synaptics.conf and a synaptics-dbus.conf, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with them.  The synaptics.conf script requires /var/lib/Synaptics/chronos.1000 to be present.  The scripts seem to initialize the device and driver, so I'm guessing that first we need to run the scripts, then start dbus, then start xorg with the "syntp" driver.  Be careful trying to run the init scripts at startup... if you break the boot process you may have to start all over.  Before tweaking the boot process, remember to use "cgpt add -i 6 -P 5 -T 1 -S 0 /dev/sda" so that it will fall back to chrome if you can't boot.

#20 2010-12-21 23:02:56

walmartshopper

Also backup your partition image before you mess around with synaptics.conf.  Be extremely careful... if you run synaptics.conf as root it starts recursively deleting your whole filesystem and causes irreparable damage.  If you don't have a backup, you will have to restore it to the factory state and start from scratch.

#21 2010-12-21 23:08:06

pheonix7117

Well I tried throwing /opt/Synaptics on the ubuntu partition, as well as the conf files from /etc/init/ and the .so file from /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/ but all it did was disable my touchpad completely. Removing those extra files restored it to normal, but I didn't try copying the stuff from /var/lib/Synaptics as well.
I'm wondering if installing the package mentioned at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Synap … Multitouch may help as well instead of trying to hack the closed-source driver from chrome OS to work. The problem I'm having with the package from that link is that it requires the linux-headers for the current kernel to be installed, however we're using the kernel from chrome OS so I can't figure out which headers package would match....I'm getting the following:
Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
Any idea which linux-headers would (possibly) work?

#22 2010-12-21 23:08:58

pheonix7117

Odd, I didn't seem to have any problems after trying what I said above :-/ .....

#23 2010-12-22 00:39:01

walmartshopper

I remember seeing a few synaptics kernel header files when I searched, but I can't remember where they were.  If you go to the root folder and use "find . | grep syn" or maybe grep Syn or grep touch, I think they will show up.

#24 2010-12-22 00:46:41

pheonix7117

Well, here's the output of "find . | grep -i syn" as root from /

./usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
./usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/syntp_drv.so
./usr/lib/libasyncns.so
./usr/lib/libasyncns.so.0.1.0
./usr/lib/libasyncns.so.0
./usr/lib/libxcb-sync.so.0.0.0
./usr/lib/libxcb-sync.so.0
./usr/lib/libxcb-sync.so
./usr/bin/remsync
./usr/bin/synclient
./usr/bin/syndaemon
./usr/bin/sg_sync
./usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.chromium.SpeechSynthesizer.service
./usr/sbin/speech_synthesizer
./usr/sbin/speech_synthesizer_client
./var/lib/Synaptics
./var/lib/Synaptics/chronos.1000
./var/run/synapticsbus.pid
./var/run/dbus/synaptics_bus_socket
./dev/shm/sem.syna2029052188
./dev/shm/sem.syna2004297920
./tmp/SynTPEnhLock.0
./tmp/SynTPSCMemMap.0
./tmp/SynTPPointingMemMap.0
./tmp/synset.rawdev
./tmp/synset.serio
./tmp/synaptics-loop-file
./etc/fonts/conf.avail/90-synthetic.conf
./etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf
./etc/init/synaptics-dbus.conf
./etc/init/synaptics.conf
./etc/init/syntpenh.conf
./etc/dbus-1/system.d/SpeechSynthesizer.conf
./bin/sync
./home/chronos/find_syn.txt
./mnt/stateful_partition/var/lib/Synaptics
./mnt/stateful_partition/var/lib/Synaptics/chronos.1000
./mnt/stateful_partition/home/chronos/find_syn.txt
./proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_sent
./proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_recv
./proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_sent
./proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_sent2
./proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_recv
./proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syn_retries
./proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_synack_retries
./proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies
./proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_max_syn_backlog
./sys/devices/virtual/block/dm-0/queue/iosched/fifo_expire_sync
./sys/devices/virtual/block/dm-0/queue/iosched/fifo_expire_async
./sys/devices/virtual/block/dm-0/queue/iosched/slice_sync
./sys/devices/virtual/block/dm-0/queue/iosched/slice_async
./sys/devices/virtual/block/dm-0/queue/iosched/slice_async_rq
./sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/iosched/fifo_expire_sync
./sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/iosched/fifo_expire_async
./sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/iosched/slice_sync
./sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/iosched/slice_async
./sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/iosched/slice_async_rq
./sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_file
./sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_file/format
./sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_file/filter
./sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_file/id
./sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_file/enable
./sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_fs
./sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_fs/format
./sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_fs/filter
./sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_fs/id
./sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/ext4/ext4_sync_fs/enable
./sys/kernel/slab/fasync_cache
./sys/power/pm_async
./sys/module/psmouse/parameters/resync_time
./opt/Synaptics
./opt/Synaptics/etc
./opt/Synaptics/etc/synaptics-dbus.conf
./opt/Synaptics/bin
./opt/Synaptics/bin/syndetect
./opt/Synaptics/bin/synxorg
./opt/Synaptics/bin/SynTPEnh
./opt/Synaptics/bin/tpcontrol_syncontrol
./opt/Synaptics/bin/linuxreggen
./opt/Synaptics/bin/syncontrol
./opt/Synaptics/lib
./opt/Synaptics/lib/libwx_gtk2u-2.8.so.0
./opt/Synaptics/lib/libwx_gtk2u-2.8.so.0.5.0
./opt/Synaptics/lib/libsyntpapi.so
./opt/Synaptics/lib/libwx_gtk2u-2.8-i686-pc-linux-gnu.so
./opt/Synaptics/HKLM_User
./opt/Synaptics/var
./opt/Synaptics/var/lib
./opt/Synaptics/var/lib/Synaptics
./opt/Synaptics/SynTP
./opt/Synaptics/SynTP/Enh
./opt/Synaptics/SynTP/Enh/liblangUS.so
./opt/Synaptics/HKLM_Kernel
./opt/google/chrome/resources/inspector/inspectorSyntaxHighlight.css
./opt/google/touchpad/tpcontrol_synclient
./opt/Qualcomm/Images2k/Novatel/syncguid.dat
./build/x86-mario/usr/include/xorg/synaptics-properties.h
./build/x86-mario/usr/include/xorg/synaptics.h

The reason I was looking for kernel headers is that the synaptics-dkms ubuntu package I was looking at trying requires the headers to be installed so that it can recompile the modules properly. I'm wondering that since the Ubuntu/Arch Linux installation is actually using the Chrome OS kernel, maybe there's a way to install it's headers? Shooting blindly here, but would installing them in the chroot accomplish anything before copying the rootfs to the CR-48?

#25 2010-12-22 06:08:38

walmartshopper

The last two files in the list are what I was thinking of:

./build/x86-mario/usr/include/xorg/synaptics-properties.h
./build/x86-mario/usr/include/xorg/synaptics.h

Also, the 3G modem under chrome is using a daemon called flimflamd to manage the connection.  I am trying to get flimflamd running on Arch and see if I can get a 3G connection.

Board footer