You are not logged in.

#76 2011-02-24 03:35:50

scottfp

Re: HOWTO: Installing Arch Linux on Google Cr-48 netbook

I also recently flashed the BIOS to install Arch and I have no fan controls either.  Would anyone with Chrome OS still installed be willing to upload the default modules somewhere?  I (stupidly) forgot to grab them before I reformatted the drive, and I'd rather not start over to get them if it can be helped.

Also, a tip for flashing the bios:
If you loosely follow this, you can install flashrom directly into Chrome OS.  You need to install xz, flashrom and I believe libftdi is the only dependency you need.  Also remember to backup your Chrome bios somewhere!  SystemRescueCD works wonders if you want to use GPT.  It has various partitioning tools, GRUB2 and standard GRUB patched for GPT.

#77 2011-03-02 20:59:49

wankel
Website

Has anyone been able to get the data to work?

#78 2011-03-03 03:06:51

keplenk

bigjiffy wrote:

I recently installed arch on my cr48 by installing the BIOS and then just installing Arch normally. I have gotten everything to work properly except the fan is constantly running. Ive tried installing pm-sensors and controlling the fans that way but it says there are no fans to control. I also tried cpufreq to make the cpu run on demand and powersave but the fans still won't shut off ever. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have the exact same problem.  I flashed the BIOS, tried Arch, installed normally.  Everything works fine except that the FAN is constantly spinning and it is warmer compared to using it on CROS/Win/Ubuntu.  Just like yours, fans aren't detected.  CPU scaling works and even if it is running at the lowest clock speed the fan spins like crazy.

Did you manage to solve this problem?

Or maybe anyone else knows how to fix this?

Thanks!

#79 2011-03-03 07:46:44

tlp

damis648 wrote:

For changing brightness with the keys, did anybody come up with a good solution? I couldn't find any way to bind keys to changing the brightness, so I made two quick bash scripts:
brightnessup

#!/bin/bash
echo -n $((`grep current /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD02/brightness | cut -d" " -f2` + 10)) > /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD02/brightness

and brightnessdown

#!/bin/bash
echo -n $((`grep current /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD02/brightness | cut -d" " -f2` - 10)) > /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD02/brightness

I then bound F6 to 'sudo brightnessdown' and F7 to 'sudo brightnessup' and gave them both NOPASSWD in the sudoers file.

It's probably a stupid solution, but if anyone has some better ideas, let me know.

For some reason this stopped working for me. It appears the brightness 'file' is now /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness but substituting that in doesn't work... After googling around I found out about xbacklight. I have set Shift+F6 to 'xbacklight -dec 10' and Shift+F7 to 'xbacklight -inc 10' and it works without dealing with the sudoers file.

#80 2011-03-04 22:10:58

keplenk

Bump!

Anyone fixed the fan-spinning all the time issue?

#81 2011-03-09 15:00:23

keplenk

I managed to find out what is causing the fan to continually spinning.  It was the 2.6.37 linux kernel.  I've tried with 2.6.35, 2.6.36 and it doesn't have that issue.  I even tested it on the latest testing kernel which is 2.6.38-RC8 and it doesn't have that problem.  It was just 2.6.37. 

Another thing to note is that, if you use kernels .37/.38 - /proc/acpi/ will almost be empty.  There are no folders for fans, thermals, etc.  I was told that is was being merged to /sys.  Some of my apps that depend on /proc/acpi does not work and I'm still looking for a work around.

Aside from that, everything looks nice right now.

#82 2011-03-12 22:50:55

dots

Well i've managed to get the Verizon/CDMA 3g working on Arch with gnome/network manager.

I followed the following guide meant for ubuntu but i decided to give it a shot. http://www.chromeoslounge.com/cr-48-chr … #post10861

I needed the base-devel package to compile the driver's and compile them as root.

Now a note: I was NOT able to compile the QCUSBNet2k driver on the latest kernel (2.6.37.3) no idea what the error means. But here's the error

/home/dots/QCUSBNet/QMIDevice.o
/home/dots/QCUSBNet/QMIDevice.c:157:4: error: unknown field 'ioctl' specified in initialization
/home/dots/QCUSBNet/QMIDevice.c:157:4: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
make[2]: *** [/home/dots/QCUSBNet/QMIDevice.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/dots/QCUSBNet/] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.37-ARCH'
make: *** [default] Error 2 

DId some googling and it seem's like a kernel issue. No idea how to fix it so maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Anyways my work around was to downgrade to the 2.6.32.2 kernel and kernel-headers. i also used the firmware for that kernel just in case not sure if its needed. Once i downgraded the following above both QCSerial2k and QCUSBNet built. And i continued to follow the guide.

** Here are the drivers compiled against 2.6.32.2. Pulled them out of the cr-48. For those that do not want to downgrade kernels and kernel-headers to compile. 
http://www.mediafire.com/?6kj1b6w6e6g6g27

Another note: On step 4 it says modprobe QCUSBNet but its actually QCUSBNet2k.

Now step 6 would be where you would get the 3g modem to actually work but network manager won't see it. The fix for that was to install the modemmanager via pacman. (Thanks Arch wiki smile)

Once that was done i was able to go into network connections and successfully setup the 3g connection via Qualcomm Gobi 2000.

After i was sucessfull i went ahead an upgraded the kernel, kernel-headers, and firmware to the latest and did a reboot. And to my surprise 3g worked. So i assume the drivers i compiled on 2.6.32.2 still stayed modprobed and worked smile.

Anyways that's what i did and now 3g works. As the guide says you will need to run ./startthreeg.sh everytime power is lost (expect for reboots). Oddly for me if i shutdown/ turn back on the cr-48 and run ./startthreeg.sh it takes ~30secs to succeed. But nothing in networkmanager. If i run it again it works

Hopefully this isn't confusing and works for people big_smile

Last but not least a few screenshots.
http://i.imgur.com/dLxnN.png
http://i.imgur.com/kXRwZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/lCLQ7.png

Major credits out to the guy who reversed engineered and whatever else he did to the drivers to get them to work smile.

Last edited by dots (2011-03-14 02:03:48)

#83 2011-03-13 21:08:36

wankel
Website

dots wrote:

Well i've managed to get the Verizon/CDMA 3g working on Arch with gnome/network manager.

I followed the following guide meant for ubuntu but i decided to give it a shot. http://www.chromeoslounge.com/cr-48-chr … #post10861

I needed the base-devel package to compile the driver's and compile them as root.

Now a note: I was NOT able to compile the QCUSBNet2k driver on the latest kernel (2.6.37.3) no idea what the error means. But here's the error

/home/dots/QCUSBNet/QMIDevice.c:157:4: error: unknown field 'ioctl' specified in initialization
/home/dots/QCUSBNet/QMIDevice.c:157:4: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type

DId some googling and it seem's like a kernel issue. No idea how to fix it so maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Anyways my work around was to downgrade to the 2.6.32.2 kernel and kernel-headers. i also used the firmware for that kernel just in case not sure if its needed. Once i downgraded the following above both QCSerial2k and QCUSBNet built. And i continued to follow the guide.

Now step 6 would be where you would get the 3g modem to actually work but network manager won't see it. The fix for that was to install the modemmanager via pacman. (Thanks Arch wiki smile)

Once that was done i was able to go into network connections and successfully setup the 3g connection via Qualcomm Gobi 2000.

After i was sucessfull i went ahead an upgraded the kernel, kernel-headers, and firmware to the latest and did a reboot. And to my surprise 3g worked. So i assume the drivers i compiled on 2.6.32.2 still stayed modprobed and worked smile.

Anyways that's what i did and now 3g works. As the guide says you will need to run ./startthreeg.sh everytime power is lost (expect for reboots). Oddly for me if i shutdown/ turn back on the cr-48 and run ./startthreeg.sh it takes ~30secs to succeed. But nothing in networkmanager. If i run it again it works

Major credits out to the guy who reversed engineered and whatever else he did to the drivers to get them to work smile.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the update. Would it be possible to update the drivers you compiled to save us the hassle of downgrading the kernel just to compile them?

#84 2011-03-14 01:58:07

dots

Sure, here are the drivers compiled against 2.6.32.2. Pulled them out of the cr-48 tongue

I included a little readme incase someone downloads from a different place. Basically just states most of what i posted in my original post.

#85 2011-03-14 02:05:12

wankel
Website

dots wrote:

Sure, here are the drivers compiled against 2.6.32.2. Pulled them out of the cr-48 tongue

I included a little readme incase someone downloads from a different place. Basically just states most of what i posted in my original post.

thank you so much, im going to give this a shot in the next day or two and ill let you know how it goes smile

#86 2011-03-14 23:57:31

dots

Hm i noticed something lately. If i leave the cr-48 idle with it open and go away for say ~1-2 hours and come up, make it up, relog on. That my wifi has disabled and i cant turn it back on via network manager. Has happened three times so far. If/when it happens again ima dig in the cli and see if i can find anything related to that. Just doing a quick reboot fixes it.

Anyone else had a issue like that?

#87 2011-03-16 01:41:17

zinser

Could anyone help me getting physical right click to work, I have a fresh install with xf86-input-synaptics installed. Read that xf86-input-synaptics-clickpad works but aur shows it's out of date and abs gives me an error when trying to build it.

Edit: installed gpointing-device-settings and got right tap working but would really like to get the physical right click to work

Last edited by zinser (2011-03-16 03:03:23)

#88 2011-03-16 06:29:53

dots

zinser wrote:

Could anyone help me getting physical right click to work, I have a fresh install with xf86-input-synaptics installed. Read that xf86-input-synaptics-clickpad works but aur shows it's out of date and abs gives me an error when trying to build it.

Edit: installed gpointing-device-settings and got right tap working but would really like to get the physical right click to work

Are you running gnome? If so it should be in System > Preferences > Mouse. From there look the Touchpad tab and choose the two finger scrolling option. That's how i obtained the right click.

If you have no Touchpad tab install xf86-input-synaptics, thats what i needed to get it to show up.

Last edited by dots (2011-03-16 06:31:58)

#89 2011-03-28 01:28:50

duckunix
Website

dots wrote:

** Here are the drivers compiled against 2.6.32.2. Pulled them out of the cr-48. For those that do not want to downgrade kernels and kernel-headers to compile. 

So, I just flashed my BIOS, and installed Arch, and brought the system up to date.  I am running kernel26 2.6.37.4-1, and fired up Network Manger (with modemmanager installed), and added the 3G connection, and it works no issues.  Woot!

Now, to get it to work without Network Manager. smile

Don

#90 2011-04-09 20:17:36

duckunix
Website

duckunix wrote:

So, I just flashed my BIOS, and installed Arch, and brought the system up to date.  I am running kernel26 2.6.37.4-1, and fired up Network Manger (with modemmanager installed), and added the 3G connection, and it works no issues.  Woot!

Now, to get it to work without Network Manager. smile

Don

Well, it worked one time, and now does not work. sad  Guess I will try the down-rev of the kernel to see if that fixes things.

don

#91 2011-04-23 23:13:13

ballPointPenguin
Website

I gave arch a rest for a while, but I want it back, but am having trouble.
Strange, I didn't have this problem when I got Arch running on CR-48 last December.

To clarify:
When I install Arch linux in a virtualbox on my 2nd computer, I am not partitioning the drive (sda / sda1), just formatting the filesystem to ext4.
I am not installing grub. sda1 is mounted as / and flagged bootable.
When I reboot this virtualbox after installation, I get nothing. There no bootloader so it doesn't surprise me.
Then I get it all moved over to CR-48 following the original instructions here to a T.
Arch won't boot. Seems like the CR-48 bootloader or whatever doesn't recognize it as a bootable filesystem.

Should I be installing GRUB in the virtualbox instance of Arch?
If so, should I put it on sda or sda1?

I have NOT flashed my BIOS (yet) but will consider that option if I don't get this to work. It's just that I had it working so well before, then screwed it up, and I can't seem to reconstruct my original steps.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." ~Mitch Ratcliffe

#92 2011-05-18 19:19:10

yejun

aweb wrote:

I've created a script to automate the process of installing arch on the CR-48.  It shrinks the state partition to 1GB, leaving a bit over 9GB for arch, but still allowing you to switch back to chrome.

The script also copies over the X server and drivers from chromeos (since some people have better luck with the touchpad that way).  Thus, if you want X, you only need to install the xorg group, not the xorg-input-drivers or xorg-video-drivers.

If you want to try the script, get a root shell on the CR-48 and run:

curl -L tinyurl.com/cr48arch | bash

The first time you run it, it will shrink the state partition.  You need to reboot for this change to take effect.  After rebooting, run the same command again, and it will install arch.

Once you have logged into arch, you will find a script /root/restore_chromeos to boot chromeos again.

Needless to say, this script messes with partitions and could easily wipe your whole hard drive if there's a bug.  Use at your own risk, and have a USB memory stick handy in case the script messes up.  (In my limited tests, the script has not left the machine unbootable, but I've only tested it on one machine.)

Enjoy.

I just tried this script. It runs smoothly, but the kernel didn't install correctly. If I repack the kernel manually, it works.

#93 2011-06-23 14:23:07

murffatksig

duckunix wrote:

Well, it worked one time, and now does not work. sad  Guess I will try the down-rev of the kernel to see if that fixes things.

don

Were you able to get it working?  I flashed my bios and installed Arch, everything works fantastic, except 3g.  I'd rather not downgrade but will if I have to.

"Oh, they have the internet on computers now."

#94 2011-06-23 16:53:36

murffatksig

Well I was able to get the two drivers compiled and they even modprobe without error by using the information from this post: http://www.chromeoslounge.com/cr-48-chr … #post13246

However, after running startthreeg.sh, when I try to add a new mobile broadband connection, it doesn't have the hardware listed on the dropdown box.

#95 2011-06-24 02:57:25

jxy

I'm wondering if it is possible to install arch on a chroot environment just inside the stateful partition mounted without the noexec bit.  Has any one tried that?

#96 2011-06-25 04:21:39

lamdacore

murffatksig wrote:

Well I was able to get the two drivers compiled and they even modprobe without error by using the information from this post: http://www.chromeoslounge.com/cr-48-chr … #post13246

However, after running startthreeg.sh, when I try to add a new mobile broadband connection, it doesn't have the hardware listed on the dropdown box.

I tried to compile the drivers yesterday but failed. sad

What is your progress? How did you compile them?

#97 2011-06-26 03:54:50

murffatksig

lamdacore wrote:

I tried to compile the drivers yesterday but failed. sad

What is your progress? How did you compile them?

I tried both 64 and 32bit Arch, and I tried both 64 and 32bit Ubuntu.  On all systems, I could get the drivers to compile by following the instructions from Chromeoslounge.com.  However, I could never get the mobile radio recognized in network manager.  What sort of errors are you getting when compiling?

A couple things to note:
1) I was working on a system with the insyde bios for my testing, non of this dual-boot wackiness. 
2)  I have poor 3G signal in my house, so if network manager only detects the radio when there's a signal, that could be the problem. 

Ultimately, I gave up, I'm back on ChromeOS.  I may try again later on down the road, we'll see.

#98 2011-06-26 09:38:10

lamdacore

I tried both 64 and 32bit Arch, and I tried both 64 and 32bit Ubuntu.  On all systems, I could get the drivers to compile by following the instructions from Chromeoslounge.com.  However, I could never get the mobile radio recognized in network manager.  What sort of errors are you getting when compiling?

A couple things to note:
1) I was working on a system with the insyde bios for my testing, non of this dual-boot wackiness. 
2)  I have poor 3G signal in my house, so if network manager only detects the radio when there's a signal, that could be the problem. 

Ultimately, I gave up, I'm back on ChromeOS.  I may try again later on down the road, we'll see.

I gave it another shot, and it worked this time. I was using the drivers from another post and not the ones from chromelounge. I did not receive any error at any point, but I confirm I don't see the device appearing in that lil' drop down in network manager. I wonder if there is a better way to check if the drivers worked in comparison to looking at a dropdown menu.

I am working on the insyde bios as well, and I know for a fact I have fairly decent verizon 3g signal here.

It is unfortunate that this functionality of the notebook seems out of reach right now because otherwise the laptop functions significantly better with arch imho.

On another note, did anyone enable trim for their partition if they are using ext4. I did, but my system became unstable with frequent crashes. I know from here(http://www.sandisk.com/media/876078/SanDisk_SSD_P4_brochure.pdf) that the stock ssd has trim support.

Last edited by lamdacore (2011-06-26 09:39:31)

#99 2011-06-26 14:56:45

murffatksig

Yea, Arch runs great natively on a CR-48. Everything just works, except 3G, and that's a deal breaker for me. 

I never even got far enough to test out enableing trim.  Next time I test arch, I'll try it.

#100 2011-08-12 00:27:30

jarch87

Hi, just wanted to share how i got this working.

Arch 3.0

compile the drivers yourself using the files above. You will get the error about ioctl like mentioned above. You need to modify QMIDevice.c at line 157 from:
   .ioctl     = UserspaceIOCTL,
to
   .unlocked_ioctl     = UserspaceIOCTL,

The 'install' script just runs make/make install in each sub directory. You can either do the above change then run the install script, or do make/make install yourself.

Then modprobe the two new modules.

BEFORE you use network manager, start modem-manager . If you do not have this install it, pacman -S modemmanager . Then make sure NetworkManager daemon is running, and call nm-connection-editor and add the broadband device. The qualcomm should show up now.

Sorry for being a bit vague with exact commands, if you don't know what im talking about or what things to modprobe or how to modify/edit a file, or what make and make install is please read up. Not being an ass, but if you want to learn linux being spoon fed commands is not doing you any type of benefit. go google.

Last edited by jarch87 (2011-08-12 00:30:06)

Board footer