You are not logged in.

#101 2011-08-12 13:30:53

murffatksig

Re: HOWTO: Installing Arch Linux on Google Cr-48 netbook

This is great news.  However, now that ChromeOS has Netflix working, I'm going to hold off putting Arch back on my CR-48.  Hopefully Netflix will work on (non-ChromeOS) Linux soon.

"Oh, they have the internet on computers now."

#102 2011-08-12 19:51:55

jarch87

Yes, couple things to note. You do need to run the startthreeg script before starting modem manager/network manager. Also, watch the output of modem manager you'll see it cycle through each ttyUSBX interface. Until it cycles through the modem, NetworkManager will not recognize the device.

Unfortunately for me, I never activated the chrome verizon 3g. Well, I did, in February three times. Got three emails, three phone numbers, but it never worked and I never called. I've tried calling verizon, but they just have me go through the 'active manual' mode in chrome, which I can't do. I assume my trouble is because I didn't activate while in chrome, since I never had 3g working in chrome.

I am definitely connected to verizon, Network manager shows me connected to 'Alltel EVDO'. I have a vwz as my default gateway, I get an IP via ppp showing up in ifconfig. I can also do dns queries, but can not ping or browse. I assume it's because my device isn't properly registered on Verizon's network. If anyone can shed light on getting your free 3g activated while not being in chrome i'd be appreciative, heck i'd like to just pay for it with any carrier (att, sprint, verizon).. I tried to explain to the tech i'd like to set this up as if it was just a netbook with a 3g card.. but they insisted it wasn't possible since it was a 'chrome' book.:-/

Last edited by jarch87 (2011-08-12 19:52:55)

#103 2011-08-15 22:19:17

dots

murffatksig wrote:

Well I was able to get the two drivers compiled and they even modprobe without error by using the information from this post: http://www.chromeoslounge.com/cr-48-chr … #post13246

However, after running startthreeg.sh, when I try to add a new mobile broadband connection, it doesn't have the hardware listed on the dropdown box.

Thanks so much for posting this I went ahead put Arch back on my cr-48 and compiled them with no issues (other than the warning message that was ignorable.) And actually got 3g to work no problem. Networkmanager saw the device and let me make the connection.

#104 2011-09-23 19:26:19

lamdacore

dots wrote:

Thanks so much for posting this I went ahead put Arch back on my cr-48 and compiled them with no issues (other than the warning message that was ignorable.) And actually got 3g to work no problem. Networkmanager saw the device and let me make the connection.

Would you be kind enough to enumarate the steps you took to achieve this?

I did the following:
I updated to the latest 3.0-Arch. (x86 install)
Followed the steps to compile the two drivers. Modprobed them. shutdown networkmanager. Manually started modem-manager (I didn't see it find the modem). Started network manager, it didn't recognize the modem.

#105 2011-12-08 04:44:17

dots

lamdacore wrote:
dots wrote:

Would you be kind enough to enumarate the steps you took to achieve this?

I did the following:
I updated to the latest 3.0-Arch. (x86 install)
Followed the steps to compile the two drivers. Modprobed them. shutdown networkmanager. Manually started modem-manager (I didn't see it find the modem). Started network manager, it didn't recognize the modem.

Sorry for taking such a long time to respond. Just reinstalled arch back on my dying cr-48

Here's what i currently do.

Once i compiled the drivers. I added them to the MODULES section in /etc/rc.conf then i would run the ./startthreeg.sh script. Now restarting networkmanager yeilds no results. So i then reboot and for some odd reason the CDMA connection is there ready to setup/connect.

If i reboot i'll have to perform the above to get it to work again. I suspect as stated a few posts above that the script needs to be ran before networkmanager/modemmanager starts.

Last edited by dots (2011-12-08 04:46:05)

#106 2011-12-13 04:36:29

dots

I decided to test the theory of starting the startthreeg.sh script before networkmanager starts. And that in my testing that is exactly what needs to be done for 3g to work on every reboot. I have noticed that if i do a complete shutdown and turn the cr-48 back on sometime later the 3g connection isn't seen on first boot, have to reboot sad. Still doing some testing,

What i did was make an DAEMON to have the startthreeg script to start before the networkmanager daemon. I just took one from /etc/rc.d/ and modified it to the best of my abilities (never done it before tongue). Starting the daemon works no problem but issuing stop or restart fails. I have no idea really but thats not important at the moment.

Last edited by dots (2011-12-13 05:23:34)

#107 2011-12-14 02:09:16

mklebel

I made a couple udev rules to load the firmware and start the GPS, works slick.

https://github.com/mklebel/cr48/tree/master/rules.d

#108 2011-12-15 05:22:06

dots

mklebel wrote:

Thanks for these! The 60-cr48-gobi.rules worked perfectly. smile

Have you used anything to test the GPS? I've tried using gpsd but seem's to not be picking up any info.

#109 2011-12-22 03:42:19

mklebel

I added DEVICES="ttyUSB3" to /etc/conf.d/gpsd for gpsd to work, I think.

a simple gps test would be: cat /dev/ttyUSB3
you should see a bunch of data scroll down the terminal.

or: http://html5demos.com/geo

I'm not sure if chrome is still dependent on gpsd or not.

#110 2012-01-10 04:12:29

murffatksig

mklebel wrote:

I got a Roku so I no longer need my CR-48 for Netflix.  I installed Arch on it, and followed the same instructions from Chromeoslounge.com and got the 3G card working great.  Those udev rules worked like a charm too!

Thanks!

#111 2012-01-26 04:09:18

murffatksig

Well, it looks like I spoke to soon.  Now when I try to compile the drivers, I get the following error.  Dunno if something changed, or if I borked my system.  Anyone got an idea?

/opt/QCSerial2k/QCSerial2k.c:204:20: error: ‘THIS_MODULE’ undeclared here (not in a function)

#112 2012-01-26 08:01:24

mklebel

murffatksig wrote:

Well, it looks like I spoke to soon.  Now when I try to compile the drivers, I get the following error.  Dunno if something changed, or if I borked my system.  Anyone got an idea?

/opt/QCSerial2k/QCSerial2k.c:204:20: error: ‘THIS_MODULE’ undeclared here (not in a function)

I get the same also :-/

#113 2012-01-26 15:30:40

murffatksig

mklebel wrote:
murffatksig wrote:

Bummer, at least it's not just me.

#114 2012-02-07 07:30:55

death2all110

murffatksig wrote:
mklebel wrote:
murffatksig wrote:

Bummer, at least it's not just me.

Hey guys, small kernel hacker here...usually I stick to android, but I love arch...anyway, I was having the same issues on my cr48 with arch. I fixed the issues by modifying the *.c files included in the gobifornatty.tar.gz file. I'll upload and post a link here in a few minutes.

http://darkxshadows.net/gobifornatty_fixed.tar.gz

Last edited by death2all110 (2012-02-07 08:08:22)

#115 2012-02-07 17:22:06

murffatksig

death2all110 wrote:

Hey guys, small kernel hacker here...usually I stick to android, but I love arch...anyway, I was having the same issues on my cr48 with arch. I fixed the issues by modifying the *.c files included in the gobifornatty.tar.gz file. I'll upload and post a link here in a few minutes.

http://darkxshadows.net/gobifornatty_fixed.tar.gz

Sweeeeeet! That solved the problem. 

I did run a diff on the files just to make sure that's all you changed. wink  No offense, but when a new member shows up and offers some code, i'm gonna check it.

#116 2012-02-07 22:07:20

death2all110

murffatksig wrote:

I did run a diff on the files just to make sure that's all you changed. wink  No offense, but when a new member shows up and offers some code, i'm gonna check it.

None taken. I completely understand. Lol. It was simple. just added the missing

#import <linux/module.h>

to the *.c files

Last edited by death2all110 (2012-02-07 22:07:37)

#117 2012-12-26 07:11:55

ewaller
Administrator

Closing old thread.  Similar topic continues here

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#118 2013-04-02 05:21:52

mrubenb

Can anyone help me with booting EFI? I'm having issues to make Arch boot with EFI. I've installed following the Arch wiki tutorials, with rEFId, and Grub. I haven't had much luck with either. I an boot the kernel using the Arch Live USB, so that portion works, but when I use efibootmgr, it doesn't write into the menu. Any thoughts?

Partition:
Partition table GTP

-->2048 Bytes Parity unformatted partition.
-->512MB EFI (FAT32) Boot (mounted on /boot/efi)
-->15812 EXT4 (Arch Linux)

Please advise.

#119 2013-08-23 05:17:15

murffatksig

Did you ever get Arch working on a CR-48 with UEFI?  On my CR-48, I flashed the bios with InsydeH2O bios (http://cr-48.wikispaces.com/Flash+BIOS) and then in the bios menu disabled UEFI boot.  Then I just did an install using MBR partitions.

#120 2014-08-02 06:03:03

Laggg
Website

murffatksig wrote:

Did you ever get Arch working on a CR-48 with UEFI?  On my CR-48, I flashed the bios with InsydeH2O bios (http://cr-48.wikispaces.com/Flash+BIOS) and then in the bios menu disabled UEFI boot.  Then I just did an install using MBR partitions.

Can you elaborate on this please? I'm trying to do the same... But, when I reboot, it doesn't even get to grub. It says "No bootable device found -- insert boot media and press any key"

What do you mean you did an install using MBR partitions? Do you mean that you installed linux and KEPT the EXISTING MBR partitions?

#121 2014-08-03 17:09:37

Laggg
Website

Laggg wrote:
murffatksig wrote:

Can you elaborate on this please? I'm trying to do the same... But, when I reboot, it doesn't even get to grub. It says "No bootable device found -- insert boot media and press any key"

What do you mean you did an install using MBR partitions? Do you mean that you installed linux and KEPT the EXISTING MBR partitions?

Actually, nevermind.

It was a simple partitioning issue. Everything is resolved, I think I even got the fan to stop spinning at 100% all the time.

Board footer