You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-18 07:01:44

anrxc
Website

Xgamma and xrandr discrepancy

Hi,
having xrandr available for my multi monitor setup actually doesn't amount to much. I still have to restart X every time I connect another monitor. It's very annoying and my research turned empty. Maybe someone else found a solution.

To get decent colors on my workstation and external monitors I have to apply gamma correction. For me these magic values do it "Gamma  0.75 0.65 0.60", I set them in xorg.conf for each monitor.

If it happens that an external monitor wasn't connected when I started X I can attach it with xrandr right? Well when I do that the colors on the monitor are completely off. Even though xgamma reports "-> Red  0.750, Green  0.650, Blue  0.600" when I check, the colors are simply wrong. I have to kill X, start, and everything is back to normal. Here's what Xorg.0.log has to say:

[ 44816.100] (II) intel(0): Using default gamma of (1.0, 1.0, 1.0) unless otherwise stated.
[ 44816.101] (II) intel(0): Output VGA1 wants gamma correction (0.8, 0.6, 0.6)

Trying to correct colors my self, after using xrandr, is impossible. xgamma fails to produce good colors. I have also tried to set gamma with xrandr, both when attaching the display or afterwords, i.e. by using this switch  --gamma 0.75:0.65:0.60 or --gamma 0.8:0.6:0.6. This produces bad results as well. Colors are always wrong, always very washed out. Nothing but an X restart does it.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

Board footer