You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-20 20:05:22

Bonner
Website

Unknown Problem With Launching into Fluxbox [SOLVED]

Apologies for the ambiguous title, but I don't know how else to describe it. Essentially, when I started it up this morning it ran through the boot up sequence, then attempted to start X and Fluxbox. When it gets to that point it just seems to hang on a black screen for about 5 minutes. After that it makes the decision that it's going nowhere and reverts back to the CLI login screen. I can only presume it was one of the updates I performed last night, however I can't remember what was updated yesterday (I update daily). X seems fine, although i'm not sure. If I log in through the CLI, after the first attempt at running Fluxbox crashes and run 'startx' it will fire into the x server with the two windows and turquoise header bar (Sorry, I forget what it's called) and I can't see anything obvious in the logs pointing at where the problem is.

Basically I have three questions, has anyone else had the same, or similar problems? Does anyone know what update may have caused this, and where should I start looking?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bonner (2010-12-21 11:01:41)

#2 2010-12-20 20:10:29

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Unknown Problem With Launching into Fluxbox [SOLVED]

Take a look at pacman logs to see what you have updated last couple of days, might be clue

startx from consoole brings up TWM, as you say X is not the problem

Do you use a login manager? or .xinitrc?

MrG

Mr Green

#3 2010-12-20 20:27:21

Bonner
Website

Mr Green wrote:

Take a look at pacman logs to see what you have updated last couple of days, might be clue

startx from consoole brings up TWM, as you say X is not the problem

Do you use a login manager? or .xinitrc?

MrG

Ahh! I never thought of the Pacman logs. As for login I use .xinitrc.

I just has a quick scan through the logs and the only thing I can find on the 19th that may have caused this is an upgrade to xorg-xinit from 1.3.0-1 to 1.3.0-2, so that could quite possibly be it. Unfortunately I happened to do a 'pacman -Scc on the day before, so I don't have 1.3.0-1 cached to revert back to. Where else could I get it?

Cheers for putting me on the right track! big_smile

Last edited by Bonner (2010-12-20 20:28:19)

#4 2010-12-21 11:01:20

Bonner
Website

Well, with not managing to find an older package version, I did the next best thing. Worked out what had been changed from 1.3.0-1 to 1.3.0-2, changed it back and that fixed the problem. I just removed the "$@" at the end of the file in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc. This apparently opens up a security vulnerability for SSH users but i'd rather have an unsecure system that works, rather than a secure one that doesn't! I'll mark as solved.

Board footer