You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-20 23:36:56

andr3as

[Solved] KDE+AMD+Compositing -> blurry screen

Hi,
I just got really annoyed by a problem that started at least a few weeks ago, maybe even as soon as I installed arch on this laptop (about 2 months ago):

I have an AMD HD5650 graphics card and use the proprietary driver, as the free one doesn't seem to support OpenGL 3.X.
As soon as I enable compositing in KDE 4, the whole screen becomes a bit blurry. The "blurriness" is hard to describe, it is hardly noticeable and looks a bit as if the whole screen is gauss-filtered very slightly. For example, a black one-pixel line on white ground gets surrounded by a pixel of light gray...
But if compositing is disabled, this effect disappears and the image looks sharp again.

Has anybody else noticed this problem and maybe found a solution other than disabling the kwin effects?
It is driving me crazy with small terminal fonts :-(

I already tried the following things:
- disabled all kwin effects: no change
- changed all the kwin opengl settings (opengl mode, texture filter, direct rendering etc.): no change
- changed compositing type to xrender instead of opengl: blurriness is gone, but effects become slow
- disabled all overrides (FSAA, Texture Filtering etc.) in the amdcccle: no change

Last edited by andr3as (2011-01-11 22:16:38)

#2 2010-12-21 10:02:35

whoops

Re: [Solved] KDE+AMD+Compositing -> blurry screen

If this would occur with compiz & an nvidia card, I'd try...
- using nvidia-settings to FORCE reduce / turn off antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, then restart compositing
- making sure the desktop resolution is the native monitor resolution

Probably you know how to do something like this with your setup (maybe xorg conf or something), hope it helps!

Last edited by whoops (2010-12-21 10:02:58)

#3 2010-12-21 12:00:59

andr3as

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's what already did:-(

But after I read your post, I installed compiz. With compiz this problem doesn't occur, so I suppose it must be kwin's fault... Thanks, maybe I find a solution by poking around in the kwin settings!

#4 2010-12-28 17:51:05

hmohammed43

Well i'm an AMD/ATI person myself. I've always found the catalyst drivers very unreliable, and hardly ever up to date. Usually, the opensource radeon, radeonhd or r128 drivers work well enough, although if you wanna keep Kwin, then i'd suggest using Xrender as your renderer, OR adding:

export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1

to the end of the file /etc/profile, with your fave text editor.

#5 2011-01-11 22:15:54

andr3as

Until now, I just stuck with xrender. But today, I tried opengl again, and the problem disappeared somehow, although I am not sure why. Can't remember whether performed a pacman -Syu... So -> solved

#6 2011-01-16 18:17:22

andr3as

Just in case someone has the same problem: I finally found the reason: It was indeed the forced FSAA in the catalyst control center. When I first tried changing the settings, I didn't restart KWin and only switched compositing off and on again. When I re-enabled forced FSAA today, the problem re-appeared after a reboot, and after disabling AA, it disappeared again.

Board footer