You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-21 04:17:01

ProNate

intermittent pacman errors failed retrieving file

I got most of the way through the Beginners' Guide, but at the part where it has me upgrade the system using pacman I run into trouble.  It can't always download the packages.  Sometimes it works fine, but many of them return errors before they finish downloading.  I always says some variation of "error: failed retrieving file '<filename>' from <mirror> : <reason>"  Then it will attempt to finish downloading from another mirror.  At the end of the whole thing it says that errors occurred and no packages were upgraded.  It doesn't seem to matter what I put in mirrorlist.  I've tried the rankmirrors script, Reflector, and picking some that look good from the mirror status page.  I can ping the mirrors, so I know that works.  my host name is the same in /etc/hosts and /etc/rc.conf.  I've looked through the wiki and the forum and haven't found anything that works.  I might have missed something, but I've been working on it all day.

If you need me to post any more information let me know.

Thanks,
ProNate

#2 2010-12-21 04:29:22

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: intermittent pacman errors failed retrieving file

Sometimes, refreshing the mirrors with:

pacman -Sy

may resolve some of those errors.

EDIT: Scratch that above suggestion. You could possibly try using one trusted mirror (as stated below). For me, http://archlinux.unixheads.org seems to work quite well, so maybe use that.

I'd recommended only having one selected mirror in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist. Although that is most likely unrelated to the issue at hand. smile

Last edited by cesura (2010-12-21 04:31:06)

#3 2010-12-21 05:16:17

ProNate

itsbrad212 wrote:

Sometimes, refreshing the mirrors with:

pacman -Sy

may resolve some of those errors.

EDIT: Scratch that above suggestion. You could possibly try using one trusted mirror (as stated below). For me, http://archlinux.unixheads.org seems to work quite well, so maybe use that.

I'd recommended only having one selected mirror in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist. Although that is most likely unrelated to the issue at hand. smile

If I just use that mirror it fails to synchronize any databases.

#4 2010-12-21 06:11:07

Allan
Pacman
Website

This seems to be network issues rather than pacman ones.   How are you connecting?

#5 2010-12-21 19:22:49

ProNate

Allan wrote:

This seems to be network issues rather than pacman ones.   How are you connecting?

That's what I was thinking too.  I'm on wireless right now, but I'll try a wired connection sometime today.  I'll post again whenever I get around to doing that.

#6 2010-12-21 20:19:49

ProNate

It works fine over ethernet.  It's weird though, whenever I ping websites over wireless I never have any packet loss.  Is that normal?

Board footer