You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-21 16:23:43

msplanchard

Setting cursor in ~/.Xdefault causes crashes upon typing

Hi everyone,

I am new to ArchLinux, having migrated over from Ubuntu only yesterday. So far I really like the extensibility and lightness of the system. I am, however, having one problem.

I am using OpenBox without a desktop environment, and yesterday while I was trying to make it look pretty, at some point I encountered the following error:

Any time I had a window open and I typed in anything anywhere except the text-entry areas, the program crashed with a segmentation fault. In other words, I could type in Google within the web browser fine, but if I typed in the URL bar the program would crash. I could rename files in pcmanfm fine, but when I typed in the location bar at the top, the program would crash.

At first I thought it was due to faulty gtk engines, because in addition to the seg fault error, running the programs in the terminal gave me errors about being unable to locate various gtk engines. However, after installing every gtk engine I could find and eliminating those errors, I had to conclude that this was not the case.

Last night, I discovered that completely deleting all configuration files and folders from my home folder fixed the problem, but of course it sent me right back to the default OpenBox theme and cursor with no icons, as well as eliminating all my other personal configurations.

This morning, I began deleting configuration files one by one to see if I could figure out which was causing the error. It turns out that deleting the ~/.Xdefaults file solved the problem. All that I had in the file was the following:

Xcursor.theme: PROTOZOA 

I would very much like to be able to change my cursor theme, so does anyone have any idea as to why this may be occurring, or further troubleshooting steps I could take?

Thanks very much!

#2 2010-12-21 18:18:07

anonymous_user

Re: Setting cursor in ~/.Xdefault causes crashes upon typing

Does it happen with any cursor theme?

Also have you tried using the ~/.icons/default/index.theme method for setting the cursor theme:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X1 … sor_Themes

#3 2010-12-22 03:06:27

msplanchard

Re: Setting cursor in ~/.Xdefault causes crashes upon typing

Hey Anonymous,

I hadn't seen that method previously, but I'm receiving the same error using that one as I did with the previous one. Running from the terminal yields nothing useful, only a "Segmentation fault" error.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Board footer