You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-22 06:26:21

cafejunkie
Website

Unique install situation, need some input

I will try to explain this the best I can. I have two laptops, an inspiron 1525, and an inspiron 4000. Both of them are running Ubuntu 10.10. I used Arch in virtual box on the 1525 for a while and I want to install it on the 4000. Now, the CD-ROM drive on the 4000 does not work and I do not have a flash drive. I DO have an external HDD although I have over a terrabyte of stuff on it and I am not prepared to lose any of that.
I read the Wiki on installing from another distro as I'd like to use the 1525 as the host system to install arch on the 4000. I have pacman installed on the 1525 however I am a bit lost when it comes to setting up the 4000 to boot into the Arch install. I do not want to dual boot, I want to just use the arch install to format the drive and start fresh. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to get this going.
So, my question is...what are my options as far as getting Arch on my inspiron 4000 taking into consideration I have no media to boot from, thus preventing me from booting up into a live cd to to set up my partitions prior to the Arch install.
PXE is an option I guess however I have not tried doing an install of anything that way before.
Or, how exactly can I use my inspiron 1525 to install arch on the 4000, if that is even possible.

"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had." --LinusTorvalds

#2 2010-12-22 09:27:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Unique install situation, need some input

Take out the hard disk, do an install on it, put it back. There's a few gotchas in grub and stuff, but generally it'll work fine.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-12-22 09:33:41

cafejunkie
Website

Re: Unique install situation, need some input

Don't know why I didn't think of trying that, I'll give it a shot tomorrow sometime. Thanks for the response!

"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had." --LinusTorvalds

Board footer