You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-25 03:03:37

choogi

Problems Installing RAID System

This is my first attempt at building a RAID system and I'm having a bit of trouble.  I'd like to install Arch on one hard drive and then create a RAID-5 array using several 1TB drives I have lying around.  The RAID array will only be used for storage--the operating system will be on its own drive.  I'm planning on using the RAID controller on my motherboard (Abit IP35 Pro), which I believe provides hardware RAID support (someone please correct me if this is wrong).

From what I've read, it sounds like the best way to get this set up is by installing the operating system first and later adding in the disks and creating the RAID array.  The steps I've taken so far are as follows:
1) Remove all disks except for the one I'll be using for the operating system.
2) Go into BIOS and set SATA mode to "RAID"
3) Install Arch

Arch gets installed just fine, but when I try to boot into it, I get a kernel panic with the following error message:

/init: export: line 63: : bad variable name
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.36-ARCH #1
Call Trace:

If I go into the BIOS and change the SATA mode back to "AHCI," then Arch boots up just fine.

I've found a lot of documentation on installing software raid/fake raid systems, but I haven't found much on configuring Arch for hardware raid.  I've also seen the documentation on dmraid which looks like it might work for me, but I believe that is a software solution and I'd like to take advantage of my hardware controller if possible.

Can anyone else share some insight?  Thanks all and Merry Christmas!

#2 2010-12-25 05:24:12

once

Re: Problems Installing RAID System

i think its fake raid not hardware raid.

Board footer