You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-25 06:25:27

DWilliams

Cannot connect to ad-hoc network

I recentely put arch linux on my netbook. I got the wireless working (or so I thought), but I'm having trouble connecting to an ad-hoc network. I have my android phone which is rooted and shares its 3G connection by creating an ad-hoc network. I have verified that this works fine with an iPod. It was able to connect and access the internet.

I wanted to get my arch netbook to connect to the same network but it's giving me some trouble. I use wicd as my network manager. I can connect to my wireless router just fine, and my droid's SSID shows up but when I connect to it, it will wait about 30 seconds and say it could not get an IP. If I bypass wicd and connect via iwconfig, dhcpcd times out before getting an IP as well.

#2 2010-12-25 08:14:50

celthunder

Re: Cannot connect to ad-hoc network

yeah I use wireless tether as well.  It's an issue with wicd.  do an iwlist scan I found that my phone was broadcasting under my changed settings and under the default.  Connect to the one on channel 6 named AndroidTether not whatever custom settings you put.   Then dhcpcd should work.  The issue with wicd as far as i could find from google was that it doesn't change hte mode to ad-hoc properly

ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 essid "AndroidTether" channel 6 mode ad-hoc
ifconfig wlan0 up
dhcpcd wlan0

Usually I split up the essid channel and mode so notsure if you can do that in one line or not but the rest of it should work.

#3 2010-12-25 11:41:17

DWilliams

That gives the same result as before. It seemingly works fine until I broadcast for an IP then it just times out.

I don't think this is an issue with my phone. The app says it has a DHCP server and like I said, I have an ipod connecting to it without issue.

#4 2010-12-25 16:11:32

ichbinesderelch

try increasing the dhcpcd timeout by dhcpcd -t 120, maybe this helps, the command posted by celthunder are exactly the same ones i use, so they should work!

#5 2011-02-23 18:05:07

buckiller
Website

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22057

Does that apply?

Same problem here, so I guess wicd in extra isn't a working version yet. My power went off so I figured I could use my Droid's ad-hoc stuff, I was mistaken.

I started bringing it up working with the cmd_line when my power came back on and found this problem online.

Board footer