You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-27 16:27:09

Cool G5
Website

Arch taking long time to Boot & Shutdown

I've a fairly good system with 4GB of memory & a quad core AMD Phenom II X4 955B.E processor. Still Arch Linux takes a long time to boot & shutdown on my machine. Shutdown takes around 50 secs & same for startup. During startup, Arch takes a while too Start Network even if the router is switched on & kept ready for a while. What can be done to speed the shutdown & startup? Please guide me.

Offtopic - Also is there any way to see subscribed threads from withing the boards? I'm not able to find this & hence missing subscriptions in forum sad

#2 2010-12-27 16:33:39

Telkkar

Re: Arch taking long time to Boot & Shutdown

You could start with backgrounding daemons in rc.conf. Just add a '@' in front of some of the daemons -- network for example.

Here's what mine looks like:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network @acpid @alsa @crond)

Some will probably also tell you to recompile the kernel, but I'm sure there are other things to change/tinker with before that stage.

I'm not sure about the shutdown.

#3 2010-12-27 16:54:39

karol
Archivist

Depends what do you mean "startup" - I use dwm (a very light WM) and it takes about 50 seconds to boot to dwm and shutdown (less the a minute round-trip), so about twice as fast as you. If you're booting to a full-blown KDE your startup / shutdown times times are OK.

If you're not using root on a network share you can use '@network' in your DAEMONS line in rc.conf. Mine looks like this:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus !hal @acpid @gpm @network @crond @alsa !netfs @atd !preload @vnstat)

Subscribed threads: are you looking for https://bbs.archlinux.org/search.php?ac … scriptions ?
The link is no the very bottom of the forum's main page https://bbs.archlinux.org/index.php
You can have e-mail notifications for your subscribed threads, so you'll get a message if someone posts to a thread you're subscribed to.

Last edited by karol (2010-12-27 16:58:55)

#4 2010-12-27 17:11:29

art84

Probably it depends how many services you have and how much resources they consume.
I have a similar system: 4 GB of memory + AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 3.20 GHz
I also have a fresh console-based Arch + a few tools like ethtool, mc, etc.
my DAEMONS is

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network !netfs sshd crond)

and my OS is loading 12 seconds (from selecting OS in GRUB till login prompt), 15 seconds for shutdown: 11 seconds for unloading services +  4 seconds it waits after writing "Power off"

#5 2010-12-27 17:55:01

lagagnon
Website

Cool G5: I suggest you disable clearing of boot messages so you can see where things are hanging up:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Di … t_Messages

and also look carefully at the bottom of /var/log/messages.log after your next reboot and check the times there....

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#6 2010-12-27 17:56:05

skunktrader

or even install bootchart from AUR

#7 2010-12-27 21:20:17

Telkkar

Was looking over some other threads and came across a link someone had to this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Im … erformance

I'll probably do some of that myself before the day is over.

EDIT: There are instructions there to recompile your kernel, but I'd try the simpler things before then if I were you.

Last edited by Telkkar (2010-12-27 21:29:32)

#8 2011-01-07 14:12:05

Cool G5
Website

Sorry for the late response. Wasn't keeping well to try it out. So just tried as per your resposnes & I'm seeing a marked improvement in boot times. Its reduced to almost 27 secs after backgrounding the network daemon. I've kept the remaining daemons untouched. So which daemons are safe to be blacklisted?

I've the following daemons at the boot-up;

syslog-nd dbus hal network ifplugd netfs crond kdm

Can the bootup time of KDE be reduced further?

#9 2011-01-07 15:50:50

Primoz

Try quick-init, you'll have to rebuild it after every kernel upgrade, but it reduces the boot quite some more.
After you install it you have to edit inittab to look like this:

#id:3:initdefault:
id:5:initdefault:

rc::sysinit:/etc/qinit.sysinit
rs:S1:wait:/etc/rc.single

#You can use rc.local instead runlevel 5
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/xdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null
#x:5:respawn:/bin/su YOURUSER -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c xinit >/dev/null 2>&1"

# -8 options fixes umlauts problem on login
c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty1 linux

Also changing the Qt backend from X to raster improves the KDM loading time. You have to install Qt-graphics-system for this from AUR.

That's more or less it. There's always an option to go from generic Arch kernel to some specific kernel like -ck or -zen...
Which can again give you some boost, even if little.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#10 2011-01-07 21:24:33

loafer

Cool G5 wrote:

. So which daemons are safe to be blacklisted?

Experiment.  Background Daemons one by one and if you don't have any problems it's good.

edit: I assume you mean background and not blacklist.  In your case crond is certainly safe to background.

Last edited by loafer (2011-01-07 21:31:41)

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#11 2011-01-07 23:21:14

os

You can also think about changing your DE since KDE has lots of features which require lots of time to be loaded. There are some threads in the forum where people post their GUIs and you might collect some ideas from there to build your own GUI using a window manager, e.g. Openbox. Of course there comes some work along with this path but it's sometimes worth it.

Good luck!

#12 2011-01-08 06:13:39

Cool G5
Website

@loafer - Yes, i mean background & not blacklist. Oops!

@primoz - Ok. I'll check that.

@os - very little chance that I'll replace KDE since I'm loving KDE on Arch. Still maybe I'll reconsider my decision.

Board footer