You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-27 18:09:44

rWarrior

Booting custom compiled kernel gives random characters and colours

$uname -a
Linux cerebus 2.6.36-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 10 20:32:37 CET 2010 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

$gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.5.1 20101125 (prerelease)

I have set up a NFS root, and a client node can boot the original Archlinux kernel.
I then compiled a custom kernel following instructions found at the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … rom_Source.
I am using the linux-2.6.30 with kernel patches from Kerrighed-3.0.0.
I started with the configuration from the running Archlinux, using
$ zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
and disabled options including CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION, CONFIG_KEYS, and CONFIG_PREEMPT, CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY, as well as the AFS filesystem.

The compilation proceeded without errors. I installed the modules and the kernel, and
$ mkinitcpio -k 2.6.30-krg3.0.0 -g /boot/kernel-2.6.30-krg3.0.0.img

When the client node tries booting into it using syslinux, the screen outputs a matrix of random characters of different foreground and background colours. About half of the characters alternates between two sets of random characters. The other half of random characters remain the same. The static and the dynamic characters are positioned in a interspersed fashion.
No error message is given, and the node is unresponsive to keyboard input (not even ctrl-alt-delete).

I tried doing some search, but without knowing what this error is called, I wasn't very successful...

What are some possible causes of this?

Last edited by rWarrior (2010-12-28 02:34:42)

Board footer