You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-28 19:55:32

pauligrinder
Website

(xfce4-) Terminal freezes randomly

Hey,

I've been using the XFCE-terminal for a couple of years without any issues, but lately it has started to freeze at random every once in a while. At first, I thought it was a problem with my internet connection (I was configuring my home server using ssh), but today it froze just before I hit enter for an "ls" in my home directory, locally. Scrolling works, I can select and copy text from it, but my keyboard input isn't going into the terminal. I haven't noticed this kind of behaviour in Guake or the VC's (I don't use either of those much though), so I'm pretty sure it's related to the actual Terminal. I also tried Sakura and Roxterm, neither of which seemed to have this problem. This is a very annoying problem, as I use the terminal all the time these days. Has anyone else had issues like this? Is migrating to another terminal emulator the only option to solve this?

"pacman -Q terminal" output:
terminal 0.4.5-1

I don't know what other information to provide, sorry. (don't know if kernel versions etc. are relevant in this case?)

Last edited by pauligrinder (2010-12-28 20:04:26)

If you like Metal, check out my music here. And please comment/rate!

#2 2010-12-29 00:16:23

otti

Re: (xfce4-) Terminal freezes randomly

I have (I think) the same problem, but with xterm. And it randomly - but pretty rare - occurs under enlightenment (e17) and xfce as well. If you alt-tab to another window the keyboard input from before gets displayed in the terminal.
I got the same behaviour in firefox within a flash website: if i try to scroll the website is only updated when I switched to another window...
This seems to me like an xorg (focus) bug or something like that. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for the problem.

#3 2011-02-01 22:01:12

pauligrinder
Website

Hmmm, yeah hmm So the input that didn't go anywhere shows up when you alt+tab? I didn't try that, so I don't know... I did try to switch windows by clicking, which didn't do anything to the terminal, though.
I haven't used Arch much since November, when I bought my iMac (not counting ssh to my server, which I use almost as much as the graphical part of Mac OS X, lol big_smile), but I haven't noticed this stuff happening again since I switched to Sakura (which seems good, but lacks two things I want: ability to change cursor color and being able to set the title to Terminal and make it never change. Very important things, I know! big_smile). Oh, and another detail: I've only encountered this problem on my laptop, never on my desktop, my parents' desktop, etc. so it might have something to do with the particular version I had installed at that time? I haven't tried to reproduce the problem since, so I don't know if this was temporary or not...

Another problem I have with EVERY terminal on Arch, including the vc's (ctrl+alt+f2 etc) and my ssh-remote terminal, is that fairly often when the command I'm typing takes more than one line, my typing comes on top of the previous output sad which is annoying. Anyone have a solution for that? I don't recall this happening on Ubuntu/Xubuntu, but then again, I didn't use the terminal this much back then.

Last edited by pauligrinder (2011-02-01 22:40:33)

#4 2011-02-06 12:48:16

pauligrinder
Website

Ok, seems like I managed to reproduce this. This time it happened with Sakura: I had an ssh connection open to my server, screen open with irssi in it. Then I logged into it from another computer, remote detaching the screen. When I got back to this machine, the terminal was complete frozen, saying screen remote detached and showing the normal input line (pauli@aphasis: |). First I figured the connection had been dropped, but ctrl+C did nothing, so I figured it was this bug again. Then I alt+tabbed around a bit and changed size of the window, and now terminal is completely blank, not taking any input... It is "awake" though, because when I click the x in the corner, the "Some processes are running, are you sure you want to close Sakura"-prompt comes up. Very strange.

Board footer