You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-29 08:17:01

DSpider

Is there a GTK engine that can make the scroll track transparent?

Someone from the IRC channel suggested I set the same colour as the background to make it "look" transparent. I know web designers have been using it for years but it's more of a hack job really.

Is there any way to do this with gtk2/gtk3 ? Apple iOS has something similar. It's inverted when it overlaps the same colour.

Edit: Perhaps something that supports RGBA ? Like Murrine maybe ? But how... ?

Last edited by DSpider (2010-12-29 08:36:05)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#2 2010-12-30 06:21:58

oupsemma

Re: Is there a GTK engine that can make the scroll track transparent?

May be xcompmgr, devilspie, and  transset-df could help, or (g)devilspie?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pe … ansparency
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Transparency

#3 2010-12-30 14:05:44

drcouzelis
Website

I remember hearing something about this...

I think it's impossible to have transparency in a GTK because of the way it was made. But, the people at Ubuntu really really wanted transparent GTK widgets, so they started adding RGBA support: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/RgbaGtkWithPPA

#4 2010-12-31 00:49:55

cahr_g

what is a scroll track?

#5 2010-12-31 09:56:10

DSpider

Look to the left of this window. See the scroll bar ? Well, it's on a scroll track.

scroll_track.jpg

But if I were to visit a darker site like hackaday.com it would stand out like a green hat.

Here's what I'd like:

• No arrows (I'm sure it's easily fixed from the gtkrc file).

• Scroll bar inverted when it's over a dark colour.

• If possible, it should disappear after a few seconds if there's no mouse activity (but not keyboard activity, there's no need to keep an eye on the scroll bar when you type, is there?).

This would give the screen the maximum real estate, horizontally speaking. Like what happens on an iPhone/iPod touch maybe even on an iPad, I'm not sure.

It will act only as an indicator. Let's face it, how many times do you actually click the scroll bar instead of using the mouse scroll ? Not that many. Perhaps when there's a long page and you wanna skip to the end, for the comments or something. But most of the time I'm sure most people just scroll the mouse wheel instead (Opera actually scrolls faster than Firefox but it's probably just a setting).

PS: The theme I'm using only has one arrow at the bottom. It's called "Milx". And I'm also using the "Faenza" icons in case anyone asks. smile

Last edited by DSpider (2010-12-31 09:59:08)

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#6 2010-12-31 10:42:22

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

There may be something in stylish to reduce scrollbar size in firefox [have used it in the past] why not turn it off completely [as you can in terminals]

my2c

Mr Green

#7 2010-12-31 11:39:42

cahr_g

afaik what you are asking is impossible to achieve, all because of the way gtk widgets are packed, scrollbar widget is placed near the "browser_show_page" widget (I don't know its name) and not over it
yes you can make its background transparent (pixmap with transparent image), but under transparent background will be the default window color and not the page

#8 2010-12-31 18:59:22

kokoko3k

I'd try qtcurve which is a gtk-engine too and supports rgba.
Has tons of options, but you know, you need some kde4 pieces to configure it.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#9 2011-01-01 13:50:42

DSpider

Has anything like this ever been done ? Even with Qt instead of GTK.

#10 2011-07-09 12:56:57

DSpider

Ha! I just heard they added this to OS X Lion.

So... Bump ?

I'm still interested.

Last edited by DSpider (2011-07-09 12:59:58)

#11 2011-07-09 14:06:21

lucke

It doesn't answer your question, but perhaps you're not aware of things out there and you might find them interesting.

Ubuntu has this: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/tag/overlayscrollbars/ https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php? … _Search=Go

In Opera you can use this: https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensi … display=en

Board footer