You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-29 09:55:10

Iesos

Problem with sensors and heating for badly supported laptop

Hi,

I think I belong in the Newbie corner, only used Arch for a week or so now. Anyhow, on with the questions.

I see that Arch goes with cpufrequtils instead of cpufreqd (the latter is the one prefered by most distros). cpufreqd had a very nice feature, if you configure lm_sensors you can set different governors depending on cpu temperature. But I can't find any doc relating to cpufrequtils that describes the same thing.
If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know (that is either easily switch to cpufreqd, or implement temperature rules in the config file of cpufrequtils).

When configuring lm_sensors, not much is supported for my laptop (chipset is not determined for example). But I am able to detect temperature sensors for my cpu. How ever, running 'sensors' I get something like
Core 0:      +43.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
and this bothers me... HIGH is the temp. at which the fan should go into max speed, and CRIT is the shutdown temperature. Hence, fan should never be able to hit max. If this is the case, then I'm in trouble, since my laptop overheats alot. Note that sensors are not able to detect fan speeds, fan voltage etc. since chipset is not(?) supported.
So my question is, How can I change HIGH to something lower when I don't know my chipset (all how tos on this only describes the way to do it via knowing your chipset).

At this point my laptop is in powersave governor to not to overheat. As a temporary fix I wrote a bash script that changes gov. depending on temperature. cron jobs seems to be run at most often every minute, and I would want it to run every second (and waste as little cpu effort as possible).
Does anyone have suggestions on how to execute this shell script in a most efficient manner? (but preferable answer my above questions)

Thanks in advance!

#2 2010-12-30 11:08:18

Mektub

Re: Problem with sensors and heating for badly supported laptop

Lesos,

I am testing to switch from cpufrequtils to cpufreqd.

You can install cpufreqd from the AUR, as I did.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

Board footer