You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-31 04:19:34

dcbdbis

[SOLVED] Gnome System Tools Resolution Request

Good Evening Arch Community,

Before going live with arch, I put it in a VM and was doing some testing. I found a portion of Gnome broken.

In Gnome, their are several tools in the system administration tree that are broken. In reviewing posts from other arch users, this has been this way for some time. For one example, the user/group manager.

Now, I do know how to add users manually at a command line...that's not the point. At issue is that there is a section of Gnome broken, and if I'm reading correctly, has been that way for some time. So far, I've not been able to find a resolution. There have been a few tricks and tips with adding daemons, and stuff....And so far, unfortunately none of them have worked.

Is there a resolution for the latest Gnome and I've just not searched properly?

Assistance will be very much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Dave

Last edited by dcbdbis (2011-01-02 22:54:11)

#2 2010-12-31 12:44:02

Mad Fish

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome System Tools Resolution Request

# pacman -S gnome-system-tools

And you'll get your tools in System > Administration.
I've used user/group management tool and it actually works.

#3 2010-12-31 19:43:57

dcbdbis

Good Morning Mad Fish, and thank you for the reply.

I did follow the wiki during install. I'm old now and not so arrogant to I think I would remember all the steps. So I used the wiki as a "step by step: guide.

And the package gnome-system-tools was installed. And unfortunately, the system tools don't work. What I end up with on the system tools, specific to the group/user manager, is a grayed out screen that's hung. And hung up hard. I have to use "xkill" to kill it. No way to authenticate, and nothing displayed in the same.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Dave.....

#4 2011-01-01 08:28:21

dcbdbis

I'm going to install both 32bit and 64bit in VMWare and see if I can determine if it's broken.

Mad Fish: Even though I installed it from the wiki, are you in any way suspecting that I may need to change the order of when that package get's pacman'd in?

Thanks!

Dave..............

#5 2011-01-02 09:21:54

zyxon
Website

Hello, to install GNOME completely, you have to install the following packages:

# pacman -S gnome gnome-extra gnome-system-tools

The issue you mentioned above with the user/group admin tool works flawlessly for me, I created several users for the purpose of testing and it worked for me.
usr.th.png
Maybe it is the VM? If that is the case you should check this wiki page for troubleshooting.

Last edited by zyxon (2011-01-02 09:34:09)

#6 2011-01-02 09:34:53

wonder
Developer
Website

the add/remove/users feature is using polkit to get the root rights.

depends now on what method do you used to start the gnome desktop. It should work out of the box if you used gdm but not when using startx. For that to work you need to add exec ck-launch-session gnome-session in ~/.xinitrc

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#7 2011-01-02 22:53:45

dcbdbis

Hello Wonder,

I followed your guide, and also the wiki. I've used both the inittab method, and the daemon method. Nothing works......that is works with the root account.

However, once I added a user manually from the command line, logged out and back in as the user, made the ~/.xinitrc file changes as you stated above (I use startx), we were golden. Everything worked. Form there I can do what I need to do with the system tools.

THANK YOU!

I sincerely appreciate the post and the support!

Regards,

Dave

Board footer