You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-31 10:20:03

tr!x0r
Website

[Solved] Problem with my drivers

Hello

I'm new to arch so this is why I post in the newbie corner. However I have been using Linux the past few years as my main operating system.  In the past I've used Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian and now I'm going to use arch.

Currently I'm facing a driver problem. I've bought a new computer. I admit that the hardware is way to new and not compatible with Linux. My problem is the AMD HD Radeon 6950. The hardware isn't support by the open source driver (which only goes up to the HD4000 series? )

That's why I installed the driver of ATI follow this tutorial https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AT … ed_devices

And I must admit that my driver is working after I remove the "Device not supported logo"

But now I'm facing 2 problems.

1. There is a device which is making a terrible noise. This device isn't making this annoying noise when I'm in Windows. (Windows has his own disk and Arch has an other one. So it is possible that it is my hard drive.) But I think it is my graphic-card.
2. The second problem which actually is a big problem is that I don't get a famous blue screen but a white screen and everything freezes except the audio daemon. Again I think this is related to my driver not fully being supported.
I've been looking trough my logs files but I don't see any problems. Does anyone now how I could solve this problem? For me it is not necessary to have 3D support in Linux. (not the most important) but I would like to have a decent resolution.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by tr!x0r (2011-01-10 16:48:42)

Remember, when using Linux, you're the one in control
http://www.linux-answered.com

#2 2010-12-31 16:57:59

MadTux

Re: [Solved] Problem with my drivers

Its almost impossible for anybody else to tell where that noise comes from. There are several possibilities: graphics card, cpu cooler, case fan. If it were my machine, I would open the case and locate the source of the noise.

With respect to the second problem, can you please post your xorg.conf?

#3 2010-12-31 17:24:36

tr!x0r
Website

True, It is impossible to tell me exactly where the noise is coming from. But I suspect it is the graphic-card so I hope I'm not bricking it.

On the my next problem then here is my config.

[yokke@arch ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "amdcccle Layout"
    Screen      0  "amdcccle-Screen[1]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "0-CRT1"
    Option        "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option        "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS" "true"
    Option        "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
    Option        "TargetRefresh" "60"
    Option        "Position" "0 0"
    Option        "Rotate" "normal"
    Option        "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI radeon 6950"
    Driver      "fglrx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "amdcccle-Device[1]-0"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    Option        "Monitor-CRT1" "0-CRT1"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "amdcccle-Screen[1]-0"
    Device     "amdcccle-Device[1]-0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

#4 2010-12-31 17:52:45

CPU Gastronomy

I've heard that the driver of ATI cards sometimes lets the fan running at full speed.  I'm not sure, but I remember that my friend had a similar issue.  I'll ask him about that.

Last edited by CPU Gastronomy (2010-12-31 17:53:24)

#5 2010-12-31 18:44:57

ktemkin
Website

When you say the open source driver, I'm assuming you mean the driver provided by xf86-video-ati/xf86-video-radeonhd. Have you tried the AUR package xf86-video-radeonhd?

[Edit:  Apparently the success stories are apocryphal, at best. If it makes you feel a bit better, google turns up difficulty in windowsland with the drivers as well. The solution is, most likely (and unfortunately), to wait.]

Last edited by ktemkin (2010-12-31 18:51:00)

#6 2011-01-01 09:47:24

tr!x0r
Website

ktemkin wrote:

When you say the open source driver, I'm assuming you mean the driver provided by xf86-video-ati/xf86-video-radeonhd. Have you tried the AUR package xf86-video-radeonhd?

[Edit:  Apparently the success stories are apocryphal, at best. If it makes you feel a bit better, google turns up difficulty in windowsland with the drivers as well. The solution is, most likely (and unfortunately), to wait.]

Ok I hope that my system becomes more stable within the next few months and indeed I'm having some difficulties in Windows to right now.

@CPU Gastronomy, that would be very nice I hope he found a solution.

#7 2011-01-01 20:47:21

CPU Gastronomy

Sorry, tr!x0r, it was indeed something with the fan a few months ago, but it was when my friend was playing with the power management and forgot to put it in economy mode when he unplugged his laptop.

When you get the white screen, is it completly frozen or can you switch to another terminal (Ctrl + alt + F1 for example) or restart X ?  (I think it's the driver too, but at least, we can try).

#8 2011-01-01 22:09:44

tr!x0r
Website

It freezes completely, even numlock isn't working anymore.

#9 2011-01-02 11:38:11

tr!x0r
Website

I've done some more testing and I noticed that my network keeps working, and my music keeps playing.
This means the system does not freeze, the screen just turns white. sad and I need to reboot to fix it. changing to a tty does not help.

#10 2011-01-10 16:50:14

tr!x0r
Website

The problems with my graphic card are solved. I can confirm that the 6950 AMD radeon HD is working with the current Catalyst solution.
My problems was a broken power supply. After a few days I had the same problem in Windows so I went searching to a hardware failure and I discovered that the cooler master (620watt) was broken.

Board footer