You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-01 18:48:34

Matsjo

What package/setting am I looking for? Compiz Standalone

Dear Forum,

I'm running a fresh Arch Linux + Compiz-standalone system, and so far it is going well. However there is a visual issue that I can't figure out. All my compositing works (wobbly windows, snapping etc) but the insides of every window have the standard grey, themeless look to the them and I can't figure out where my problem is and where to look (and what to look for for that matter). Just imagine the old windows XP interface without a theme applied; you have this very straight-edged grey look and layout. My window borders and title bars are themed, just not the insides.

I'm using compiz-core, fusion-icon, the main and extra plugins for compiz, mesa is installed, xf86-video-intel is up and running and I've rooted through all the settings and managers I could find. I have not noticed any errors anywhere so there are no red flags coming up to my knowledge.

So my question is: where do I need to go look for information, what is my keyword? The wiki pages Compiz Compiz-Troubleshooting Xorg Composite and Beginner's Guide have so far not been able to help me.

Looking forward to your responses,
Matsjo

#2 2011-01-01 19:36:04

hurleyef

Re: What package/setting am I looking for? Compiz Standalone

Install lxappearance and use it to choose a gtk theme.

#3 2011-01-01 19:38:46

frabjous

Compiz doesn't touch this. If you want to change GTK themes, install something like gtk-theme-switch2 or one of the other packages mentioned in the GTK+ wiki article.

#4 2011-01-01 21:33:05

pogeymanz

lxappearance is very nice for adjusting GTK theme and fonts. Once you pick what you like run qtconfig in a terminal and choose GTK+ in the drop down menu so that your Qt apps will match your GTK apps (VLC, Skype, VirtualBox)

#5 2011-01-02 09:53:46

Matsjo

Hey dudes/dudettes,

That went great, thank you all! Also for the final tip, I was wondering why VLC remained flat.

There is a single tail-end though; I'm using lxappearance for my themes now, but whenever I try to customize the color scheme it doesn't apply globally, only within lxappearance, and only for as long as I have it open. How can I make this persistent? Again, my searches did not provide me with an answer; although there is a topic on these fora with a similar problem, there' s no answer provided and it links to a page that is no longer online.

I know this is sort of a different question, but making a new topic seems impractical at this moment.

Cheers.

#6 2011-01-02 16:12:18

darkbeanies

VLC--> Tools --> Preferences --> Interface --> Change Force Window style to something nice (or choose "custom skin"

Should work...

Board footer