You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-03 02:35:59

hiushoz

after running /etc/rc.d/alsa stop there is still sound why? [SOLVED]

Because of the way I want my install to behave instead of appending alsa to the end of the daemons line in /etc/rc.conf I opt to start alsa manually when/if needed with

/etc/rc.d/alsa start

It works well but after I go

/etc/rc.d/alsa stop

and some time later

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

I still hear sound? Why?

By the way if it helps any after running

/etc/rc.d/alsa stop

the output is

::Saving ALSA Levels

See I looked at the script and even though my knowledge of bash is sadly limited I saw in the stop) case somehow if something else goes right it should say "Stopping Alsa". Thus I think that is supposed to happen why isn't it? What's going on? How do I fix this?

Last edited by hiushoz (2011-01-05 16:37:51)

#2 2011-01-03 03:07:07

schmmd
Website

Re: after running /etc/rc.d/alsa stop there is still sound why? [SOLVED]

I think that all the alsa daemon does is record the mixer levels so it can reset them to the same level when the system reboots.  The "Stopping ALSA" section is just so stopping the daemon gives you a different message when it is not recording the levels.  I'm not quite sure what you want to fix.  If you don't want sound, I recommend turning the master volume control all the way down (or muting it) in alsamixer or amixer.

#3 2011-01-03 07:59:45

tavianator
Website

You can also blacklist the snd module if you don't want sound.

#4 2011-01-03 10:34:24

tomk
Forum Fellow

The function and purpose of the /etc/rc.d/alsa init script is dealt with in the wiki. I would recommend reading available documentation first, before making incorrect assumptions as above.

#5 2011-01-04 18:45:45

hiushoz

Tomk what you say is somewhat true. However the wiki doesn't quite explain what I want to know or if it does it explains it in a way I don't understand. I'm trying my best to learn this stuff but being relatively inexperienced there are limits to what I can do thus I ask a question here in the hopes of learning and being given the information in a form that I understand.

schmmd while I could certainly mute the volume that's not what I want. This may sound strange but what I want is a system that boots up to the command line in a very minimal fashion. I don't automatically want an internet connection. I don't automatically want a GUI. I don't automatically want sound. If I want any of these things I want to be able to start and stop them manually. Like if I want to connect to the internet I go

/etc/rc.d/network start

and when I want to disconnect I go

/etc/rc.d/network stop

It all works as expected. However sound doesn't. It starts when I want it but it doesn't stop when I want it. Perhaps I don't know how to use the script. When I go start it works as expected. When I go stop it still makes sounds.

I don't understand what's happening. Can you guys please help me?

#6 2011-01-04 19:26:51

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Write your own script that loads and unloads the snd_* modules them. Enjoy your added complexity and higher error rate while you are at it. smile

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#7 2011-01-04 19:31:04

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

mute

Mr Green

#8 2011-01-04 20:10:19

hiushoz

Elendig. I know basic bash scripting but not to the point I can write those kinds of scripts. All I'm asking is is there a nice SIMPLE way to enable/disable sound like there is internet? Yes yes no no. I'm just curious. How you slip off the questions topic there I don't know.

Also from my experimentation I think I have a better idea of what /etc/rc.d/alsa does.

When I first boot up and try to play sounds nothing happens so I go to alsamixer and unmute everything that's muted by default. sounds work.

Then I go /etc/rc.d/alsa start and then the sound works in accordance with my volume settings which I left on the quieter side. Should I choose to tweak the volume and reboot. After going /etc/rc.d/alsa start these changes are saved and the volume is whatever I changed it to.

If however I go /etc/rc.d/alsa stop change the volume with alsamixer when I reboot my changes after the stop weren't saved.

I think I now better understand the behavior of these /etc/rc.d/alsa. Am I right?

Also can you please answer my original question is there a nice way to enable/disable sound like there is internet?

#9 2011-01-04 20:17:18

skunktrader

/etc/rc.d/alsa is just a shell script so open it in an editor to see exactly what happens in response to start / stop

#10 2011-01-04 21:06:31

hiushoz

skunktrader I did but the thing is my knowledge is not sufficient to fully understand what's going on.

in the stop) case there's this if else thing and I don't understand what it is the if is testing. Whatever aparently the SAVE_VOLUME variable is set to yes. But what if I want it set to no. How do I go about setting it one way or the other?

Mr. Green there is no mute command on my install. When I go mute it goes command not found.

#11 2011-01-04 21:15:38

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Think its part of aumix package cannot be sure as away at the moment so cannot check

Mr Green

#12 2011-01-04 23:01:51

jwbirdsong

┌┌(jwbirdsong@Birdhost)┌(4560/pts/1)┌(03:57pm:01/04/11)┌-
└┌(%:~)┌- pkgfile -s mute
community/aumix-gtk

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#13 2011-01-04 23:49:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@OP, you're in a contradictory position, you say you want fine-grained control over your system, yet quite obviously you don't understand at least this section of it.

My advise:- the information already given here (especially about the modules) is sufficient for what you want. It's still a useless task you're trying to do (module loading doesn't take much resources at all), but your job is to continue searching for information based on what has already been told to you.

Or, rather, to break it down, no there's no 'simple' way of doing this (using your definition of 'simple').

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#14 2011-01-05 00:15:50

Awebb

If I get you right.... all you want to do is have no sound on your box?

"amixer set Master 0"

And it's silent.

#15 2011-01-05 16:37:22

hiushoz

Ngoonee thanks. For once you answered the question exactly as needed.

Board footer