You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-03 11:36:57

adamlogan

[solved] Wicd error w/ dbus or python?

Hi all, doing a fresh install of Arch. Trying to get wicd going but I can't seem to get around this error. I disregarded the suggestion to install the xfce4-notifyd package, I figured if I'm going to install GIMP that would probably pull most of the gnome dependencies anyways, so why pull xfce too?

Downloaded/installed just straight wicd via pacman with default repos (testing is the only repo commented out). Pacman itself and the system is entirely updated. Have uninstalled wicd, removed the configs and re-installed. Rebooted multiple times, disabled the network daemons. Made sure dbus, hal, python, xorg are installed. Currently dbus & wicd are the only "network" daemons in rc.conf. Rebooted a couple times trying all this. Help?

# wicd-curses
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 52, in <module>
    from wicd import dbusmanager
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 93, in <module>
    DBUS_MANAGER = DBusManager()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 57, in __init__
    self._bus = dbus.SystemBus()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 202, in __new__
    private=private)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 108, in __new__
    bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 125, in __new__
    bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

Last edited by adamlogan (2011-01-09 16:48:15)

#2 2011-01-08 11:19:54

adamlogan

Re: [solved] Wicd error w/ dbus or python?

I don't know what happened, rebooted several times before posting this thread. Just booted my computer, it couldn't boot all the way, hard shutdown.. Booted it again, now suddenly wicd-curses works.

#3 2011-01-09 11:39:30

tydell
Website

You should first stop wicd daemon, then remove all wicd configuration files (.conf files from /etc/wicd/,   /etc/dbus-1/system.d/wicd.conf). Next You need to reboot your computer and then wicd should work. Reinstall wicd is not needed.
There should be also notification-daemon instead xfce4-notifyd if You have it.

Last edited by tydell (2011-01-09 11:42:52)

#4 2011-01-09 16:52:39

adamlogan

That may be where I went wrong, might have deleted the configs while the wicd daemon was still running. I did not install xfce4-notifyd, just straight wicd and nothing else.

Board footer